College Students! discussion

Genre or Topic/Theme Related > Fairytales and fairytale retellings

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
What are some of your favorites?

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jenna_marie58) I loved fractured fairy tales when I was younger, like basically everything by gail carson levine. I'm curious if anyone knows of fairytale influenced adult novels? do any even exist (except gregory maguire)?

message 3: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I see Like Water for Chocolate being a fairy tale. Most people think of it as a tall tale, which I see all fairy tales as, but her is my reasoning. There is an evil mother and sister, instead of an evil step mother and step sister. Pedro, thought I didn't like him, would be the prince of her dreams. I can't Nacha (not sure i have the name right) would be the fairy godmother, or whoever looked after the princess. And supposedly, love conquered all in the end.

message 4: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments Jenna wrote: "I loved fractured fairy tales when I was younger, like basically everything by gail carson levine. I'm curious if anyone knows of fairytale influenced adult novels? do any even exist (except grego..."

I don't know any novels but Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber is a book of short stories that are fairytale retellings. I haven't read it yet but I want to.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Kayla wrote: "I don't know any novels but Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber is a book of short stories that are fairytale retellings. I haven't read it yet but I want to."

That is exactly the book I was going to mention! I found it to be absolutely wonderful, and I would definitely recommend it. She is such an incredible story-teller. You can read my review of it here.

I don't think I know any other good adult novels influenced by fairy-tales, though I do know some YA books. I remember liking Donna Jo Napoli when I was younger, and The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine, whom Jenna already mentioned, though I didn't like Ella Enchanted nearly as much.

The Mists of Avalon is based on Arthurian legend, which is kind of like a fairy tale. I'm about half-way through it right now, and it's pretty entertaining. I'll put up a review if I ever manage to finish it. It's so long! The Once and Future King is also a retelling of Arthurian legend, and it is amazing. This book made me realize what an amazing tragic character Arthur is. I read it three years ago and I still think about it today.

message 6: by Natanya (new)

Natanya (vraisemble) | 255 comments I also loved Gail Carson Levine when I was younger. The Two Princesses of Bamarre was literally my favorite book...I read it soo many times, including a couple times when I was definitely too old for it. I want to read Margaret Atwood's Good Bones and Simple Murders, which has retellings of stories from a different perspective, like Hamlet's mother. It sounds really interesting.

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I LOVE anything to do with Arthurian legend!

I actually just did a review of a retelling for the College Students blog.

Looking Glass Wars

message 8: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments Natanya wrote: "I also loved Gail Carson Levine when I was younger. The Two Princesses of Bamarre was literally my favorite book...I read it soo many times, including a couple times when I was definitely too old f..."

The only book I've ever read by Levine was Ella Enchanted which I absolutely loved. I always list it as one of my top ten favorites. I don't know why I never read anything else by her afterwards but I went to the library today and I decided to check out The Two Princesses of Bamarre. I can't wait to start reading it!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I really like Briar Rose by Jane Yolen. Here's what it says on the cover, "The bright tale of sleeping beauty, the dark tale of the Holocaust - twined together in a story you will never forget." I read it in middle school I think and never forgot about it.

message 10: by R (new)

R (feste) I'm sorry to say that I lost interest in The Mists of Avalon a few pages in, many years ago ... I think I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for the genre at that time. I've read another book by Marion Zimmer Bradley though, The Firebrand, which is a re-telling of the Iliad (i.e. the Battle of Troy) told from Cassandra's perspective, and I totally loved it.

And The Once and Future King is one of my favourite books ever! I was obsessed with the Disney movie when I was a kid, and the book is every bit as brilliant as the movie.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Jenna wrote: "I loved fractured fairy tales when I was younger, like basically everything by gail carson levine. I'm curious if anyone knows of fairytale influenced adult novels? do any even exist (except grego..."

Jenna, you might like the 500 Kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey. The first in the series is The Fairy Godmother. It's a really fun series, and a lot of different fairy tales come up in each book. Basically in this series, there's literally 500 Kingdoms, and they're all influenced by an unseen force called The Tradition. The Tradition forces people down the paths of fairy tales that they might fit into - for example, a young girl with no family might be pushed by The Tradition into a Cinderella-esque fate. And of course there's fairy godmothers, witches, dragons, etc.

message 12: by Shwetika (new)

Shwetika | 72 comments I really liked A kiss in time http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52...
by Alex Flinn

message 13: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I liked Beastly by Alex Flinn, it's even being made into a movie. It's a modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Top Dog is sort of Fairytale-ish. It's got good and evil clearly defined in a fantasy world. A wall street executive is whisked to this fantasy world and placed in the body of a large dog. He was brought there to help evil but he must decide if that is the side he wants to take.
It was funny and quite entertaining.

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara (thelukewarm225) | 15 comments Stinky cheese man anyone?

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker LOVE The Stinky Cheese Man!

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about The Stinky Cheese Man! I loved that book!

message 18: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Rapunzel's Revenge is one of the best Rapunzel stories ever. It's a graphic novel, and AWESOME.

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Oh and there is Peter and the Starcatchers. I love this series.

message 20: by Sarah (last edited Apr 14, 2011 05:10PM) (new)

Sarah Has anyone ever heard of Dust City by Robert Paul Weston? I picked up a copy at the bookstore and fell in love with the premise, although I haven't read it yet. It's about the Big Bad Wolf's son living in a Home for Wayward Wolves and the Big Bad Wolf is doing time for the double murder of Little Red Riding Hood and her grandmother. I have high hopes for it.

Another re-telling that I love is Castle Waiting by Linda Medley. I keep mentioning it on forums around here but I don't care because I really love it. It's what got me into fairytale re-tellings. I'm pretty much obsessed with them now.

message 21: by Tami (last edited Apr 15, 2011 07:28AM) (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Have you read Ash?

It is a retelling of Cinderella. It was interesting but much different than what I thought it would be.

message 22: by Kaion (last edited Apr 15, 2011 10:22AM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) I can't chime in on the love for Briar Rose and Ella Enchanted enough (though talk about totally opposite on the mood spectrum!). Of the Donna Jo Napoli retellings, I love Zel (Rapunzel). I also really love Maguire's 18th-century-Holland-set Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.

And since this is all fanfiction, I also have to give it up to Yuletide, who put out a surprising good output in this area. In particular, just this year, I was blown away with the modern Frog Prince/Iron Heinrich retelling Three Iron Bands", the Bluebeard meets the real-life grisly Christopher Street Piers retelling "Blueblood", and the mythic Little Red Riding Hood retelling "The Winter of Wolf". The longest piece here is still under 8000 words, so if you've got a few minutes to spare, it's worth checking out.

message 23: by Casey (new)

Casey Harvey Robin Mckinley has done several retellings of fairytales. I think she has two Beauty and the Beasts, Spindle's End (one of my faves and a retelling of sleeping beauty), and the absolutely amazing Deerskin - a retelling of Perrault's Donkeyskin.

message 24: by Little Red Hat (last edited May 11, 2011 03:07AM) (new)

Little Red Hat (littleredhat) One humorous collection of retellings that had me laughing like crazy was The ASBO Fairy Tales by Chris Pilbeam, writing under the name of Hans Christian Asbosen.

(An ASBO is a UK legal thing and means "Anti-Social Behaviour Order" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Soc...)

Basically, the tales are somewhat modernised and characters are turned into thugs, lowlifes and other forms of scoundrel with hilarious results. It's very funny, but definitely not suitable for children.

Another humorous take is Politically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner, where the tales are rewritten with terms that respect the characters' various appearances and races.

A book I own but haven't got around to reading yet is Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire, a retelling of "Cinderella" by the man who wrote Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.

Mind you, the original Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen tales are wonderful themselves.

message 25: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I just finished (S)MYTHOLOGY by Jeremy Tarr It is a fairy tale and a book I won from Goodreads Giveaways. Not my favorite book, but it was interesting enough.

message 26: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 604 comments I recently bought The Rose and The Beast: Fairy Tales Retold by Francesca Lia Block. I loved Dangerous Angels: The Weetzie Bat Books, so I'm looking forward to this book.

message 27: by Megster (last edited Jun 11, 2011 01:36PM) (new)

Megster Fables: Legends in Exile. They're mostly graphic novels, but he does have some novels out too. I'm tired and can't think of a sensible way to describe it... so you'll have to look it up !sorry! I can't make it make sense right now!

Also, there is an anthology of nothing but retold fairy tales. Happily Ever After