White Nights discussion

Medieval tales...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:30PM) (new)

Joe | 12 comments Mod
The medieval times of Russia were fascinating! I've just started delving into them through the book "Medieval Russia's Epic's, Tales, etc". Their culture was so different than the rest of Europe; they didn't even have a feudal system of serfdom until the late middle ages. Also, many of these documents are from Russian monastics in Kiev (like the Kiev Crypt Monastery which I visited); they're way of spirituality is so foreign to us as modern people, but aspects of it are strangely attractive.

message 2: by Adam (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Adam | 4 comments So, when were the medieval times in Russia? 500AD or so to 1800?

message 3: by Joe (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Joe | 12 comments Mod
Close, I'd say they ended about the time of Peter the Great in about 1700.

message 4: by Michael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Michael (michael_harmon) | 4 comments Hey, you know, I do like 'strangely attractive'. :)

message 5: by Carl (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Carl | 1 comments I've been wanting to learn a bit about Medieval Russia-- I know there were some key connections with Sweden that I should be more aware of. I remember seeing an exhibit somewhere (I want to say Iceland, but it must have been Sweden) on a Swedish princess during the Viking age or early Medieval period who ended up married into a Russian royal family or something like that-- and of course there are the Rus, apparently Swedish vikings, who allegedly had a role in establishing the Russian ruling class.

message 6: by Joe (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Joe | 12 comments Mod
Yes Carl, this is true. The Varangians (vikings) did play a big part in establishing Medieval Russia's monarchs (although the slavophiles still debate that). Kiev and Novgorod were founded on important trade routes from the Baltic to the Mediterranean and the middle east, and it was therefore important for the viking "traders" to set up an organized and friendly establishment there in the 9th century. The Scandanavian influence dwindled here more than in the Brittish Isles and Normandy, and the culture became almost totally Slavic. If I find some good sources on this part of history I'll reccomend them...