Pittsburgh Goodreaders discussion

Hello Pittsburgh readers!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsay_edmunds) | 28 comments I just joined Goodreads and was happy to find this group almost at once.

By coincidence, I blogged about the Allegheny County Library Association only 2 weeks ago:
http://tinyurl.com/2dracbe

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin (ersiku) | 21 comments Welcome to Goodreads and to the Pittsburgh group! I just read your blog post. I can't believe someone said that about library books!

message 3: by Brad (new)

Brad | 1 comments Welcome to the group! I just read your blog posting and wanted to say that I thought it was very good. The writing was clear and moved well but the reason I felt compelled to compliment you was because of the ideas. As a librarian myself (though in an academic setting and not public) I, perhaps especially, appreciate it.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul (psinderson) | 43 comments Good to have you with us, Lindsay! I've sort of "rediscovered" the library and now wonder how I managed without it. I like your blog, too. I always love reading local writers.

message 5: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsay_edmunds) | 28 comments I have liked libraries ever since I was a little girl. When I found out I could join the ACLA even though I don't live in Allegheny County, I thought, what generous things libraries are. Even in the hard times they must deal with now.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul (psinderson) | 43 comments Here's something even better - I read a lot of my books on the B&N Nook. When I first got it, ACLA had very few e-books and none that could be downloaded to the nook. So I discovered the Philadelphia Free Library which has more than 1,500 downloadable books. Anyone who has a library card with the "Access PA" sticker can join for free. I guess that means that any "Access PA" library can be used by any PA resident. Now THAT'S generous!

message 7: by Lindsay (last edited Oct 21, 2010 07:15AM) (new)

Lindsay (lindsay_edmunds) | 28 comments Paul -- Thank you for the information. I had no idea this was possible.

Lindsay
http://writersrest.wordpress.com

message 8: by Roberta (new)

Roberta Thanks, Paul. I'm a big fan of downloadable books and I've pretty much exhausted CLPgh's list. I'm anxious to see what Philly has to offer.

message 9: by Paul (new)

Paul (psinderson) | 43 comments Hi Roberta. I think you'll be pleased with Philly's offering. It's much larger than the CLPGH collection, although that should be growing.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott Paul wrote: "Here's something even better - I read a lot of my books on the B&N Nook. When I first got it, ACLA had very few e-books and none that could be downloaded to the nook. So I discovered the Philadel..."

I just signed up this morning. Can't wait to get my card.

message 11: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsay_edmunds) | 28 comments I still don't have an e-reader, though I am leaning toward the iPad. Does anyone have any advice about buying e-readers? I like the look of the iPad and its versatility, but honestly I haven't researched the purchase too thoroughly.

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul (psinderson) | 43 comments I really enjoy my Barnes & Noble nook. My primary reason for purchasing it instead of the Kindle, iPad, etc. was the fact that it accepts a variety of formats, including those that work with libraries (ePub). I like the e-ink screen as well (basically the same as the Kindle). It's not backlit like the iPad so it reads more like a book plus it doesn't use anywhere near as much power.

If you haven't already, you can go to any B&N to see the nook. I think it's also available at Best Buy and soon Walmart. The Kindle is available online and at Target stores (maybe others).

I have really enjoyed e-books so far. Hope I helped!

Paul

message 13: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsay_edmunds) | 28 comments Paul, Thank you for the "real world" review of the Nook. I know that once I take the e-book plunge, I will enjoy them immensely. Everyone I know has had that experience. Some say it has changed how they read forever.

message 14: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsay_edmunds) | 28 comments In my blog this week I gave Trax Farms a shoutout. I like that place.

What I am reading now: the bracing, short, and brilliant
THE WAR OF ART by Steven Pressfield.

Lindsay
http://writersrest.wordpress.com/