Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Are You A Sniffer?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Are you a sniffer? Do you instinctively smell everything? Do you have to hold stuff up to your nose to check out such as food or candles? I have a family of sniffers. If you have them try a food or snack it always goes to their nose. They smell everything and remember smells. "The smell of this book reminds me of Grandma Dorothy". They usually overreact to bad smells. How about you? Sniffer? What smells do you like or dislike?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments And to think I hustled over here immediately, thinking I was going to have to delete this thread...

I'm suspicious of those perfume ads in magazine. You bring them to your nose and they're way stronger than expected.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my wife rubs the perfume ads on her wrist so she can see what they smell like on her.

i told her i am going to get her a Smella-Vision where you can experience the distinct smells of what is going on on-screen

message 4: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments I love the smell of WD40, clove cigarettes, vinyl record albums, and frying bacon.

message 5: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i'm not a sniffer, like barb says, the smell of food makes its way to my nose all on its own. books sometimes turn me into a sniffer, but not in public. i'm a closet book sniffer.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I don't go looking for odors to sniff, but will sniff them if they float by me.

message 7: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) sniff, snort, snore.... I do them all.

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I try not to smell things. I might waft a perfume sample near my face, but I'd never jam my nose right onto the paper.

I thought this thread was going to be about those people who don't use tissues or hankies, they just sniff and snort their snot back into their throats.

message 9: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments that's what i thought at first too.

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Snorters are gross.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Some smells give me a headache, so I try not to go out of my way to smell artifically-scented things. I don't know which ones I react badly to. I don't go near those Yankee Candle stores.

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments so is this unique to my family or do you know people who are habitual sniffers? they somewhat unconsciously automatically smell stuff

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I don't really know any sniffers.

message 14: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I am a sniffer, and I have an over active sense of smell...unfortunately paired with an over active gag reflex. It can be troublesome.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments when i worked in a restaurant as a kid people would hold up a package to me and say:

"i think this turkey is bad, smell it and see what you think".

NO FLIPPIN WAY! I BELIEVE YOU. THROW IT OUT. DO NOT BRING IT NEAR MY NOSE. if you think something is rotten then so do i. i take your word for it

message 16: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I love candles and have a lot of them, but I'm particular about what flavor. They have to be some sort of warm, yummy, sweet, food...vanilla, apple pie, sugar cookie, creme brulee. NO FLORAL scents, those all make my nose itch and my head hurt. Incense also makes my nose itch and my head hurt...and it's a bit cloying, it sticks in my throat and I can taste it. Gak!

Sometimes I bake just because I love it when my house smells like fresh baked anything.

I also love the smell of my kitten's breath when she yawns.

And, Lilacs...real ones, not candle smelly fake lilac.

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Kevin - all of us use different senses to lead us into making sense of the world, and it sounds like your family got a gene with a strong sense of smell.

Kids are the ones who don't use tissues and snort back. Ugh, drives me nuts.

message 18: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Dairy products always smell funny to me, I just toss them if it's anywhere near the date. And packaged lunch meat kinda grosses me out. After the first day it's opened, I don't really want it. I'll just have peanut butter, thanks. It's all kinda slippery and slimy and...questionable.

message 19: by Mayra (new)

Mayra (MayraM) | 25 comments i am a sniffer, i can identify people and their belongins just by smelling them, and i´m particularly drawn to animals, like i´ve always wanted to smell a bear ot a lion, a shark or a whale,... wonder what they smell like?

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori Hey did you know that just like people can be blind or deaf, some don't have a sense of smell?

Ohhhhh the scent of freshly mowed grass, BBQ, spring rain, a rose, the salty ocean.

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments That is unique Mayra, my sense of smell is no where near that refined.

message 22: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Clark wrote: "I love the smell of WD40, clove cigarettes, vinyl record albums, and frying bacon."

I'm with you on the bacon Clark, but WD40 fumes?

I was at Monticello a couple days ago and took the tour of Jefferson's gardens. Some of these were designed with practical purposes in mind--the cultivation of vegetables, herbs, etc.--but the ones nearest the house were meant to look and smell great, and do they ever. It's one of the few places I've ever been where I literally stopped to smell the flowers.

message 23: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments Jonathan wrote: "I'm with you on the bacon Clark, but WD40 fumes?"

I don't know what it is about the WD40, Jonathan, but me likey.

I'm not huffing it for a buzz either.

message 24: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh nice! I never thought of that. Altho come to think of it, I did plant fragrant flowers at my garage so it would be the first thing I smelled when I came home.

I used to love the smell of gas when I was a kid. wtf?

message 25: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Clark wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "I'm with you on the bacon Clark, but WD40 fumes?"

I don't know what it is about the WD40, Jonathan, but me likey.

I'm not huffing it for a buzz either."

I should hope not! That's what spray paint is for.

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Lori wrote: "Oh nice! I never thought of that. Altho come to think of it, I did plant fragrant flowers at my garage so it would be the first thing I smelled when I came home.

I used to love the smell of gas wh..."

My daughter still does.

message 27: by Driftwood (new)

Driftwood | 58 comments Unfortunately, my husband and daughter both have an overactive sniffer. It drives me to distraction. I only smell things up close that I know are going to smell good. Bad things come on the wind but who voluntarily sniffs them? ugh. I love when you get a whiff of honeysuckle in the breeze. I hate when you get the dead "something" smell.

message 28: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Welcome to TC, Driftwood!

message 29: by Lori (new)

Lori Honeysuckle! Yum! Welcome.

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Welcome to TC Driftwood, glad you washed ashore :)

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Lori wrote: I used to love the smell of gas wh..."

leaded gas was the best

message 32: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Larry wrote: "Snorters are gross."

I snort when I laugh... is that okay? LOL! Snort!

message 33: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateharper) | 206 comments I'm a sniffer. I would fit perfectly in your family, Kevin. BunWat, you and I could be siblings. I love the way my dog smells, especailly her paws. When I run my hands through the lavendar and rosemary, the texture is as important as the smell. I also need to touch things to really "see" them.

But as some folks have pointed out, being a sniffer can have its downside. I cannot go into a candle store or a store with potpourri and when I walk into many department stores, I have to hold my breath to get through the perfume and makeup section that they insist on having in front.

But even so, I wouldn't trade my sense of smell for anything.

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) No, Jan. That kind of snorting is fine. It's the snot sucking snort that grosses me out.

message 35: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Yes, the smell after a good hard rain! Brilliant!!

Perfume makes my nose itch, I can't wear it.

Touch is the whole reason I like to play beads. :)

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I smell plants and animals, I guess I wasn't thinking of those. How else can I tell what's mint and what's sage when I go picking herbs in the dark? Then there's chocolate mint or spearmint or pineapple mint, and regular sage or pineapple sage, and basil and lemon basil...

My dog doesn't smell very doggy at all, and I love breathing in pony breath, which is generally minty and grassy and clean.

Also, putting your arms around a good smelling person can be very nice.

message 37: by Jim (last edited Oct 19, 2010 11:12AM) (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I smell plants and animals, I guess I wasn't thinking of those. How else can I tell what's mint and what's sage when I go picking herbs in the dark? "

That's why they make flashlights.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jim wrote: "That's why they make flashlights. "

It's more fun my way.

message 39: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Jim wrote: "That's why they make flashlights. "

It's more fun my way."

True!

message 40: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments BunWat wrote: "Pony breath!!!

Who needs a flashight when you have a working schnozz?

"

What was I thinking?

message 41: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Kate wrote: "I love the way my dog smells, especailly her paws."

I've often thought my dog's paws smell a bit like Fritos--in a nice way.

message 42: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I like dog smells, too. But usually their heads.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments The head is definitely the better end to smell, at least from a human perspective.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I've been told I smell good. :)

I do smell things, natural things, like rosemary on my walk to work, and lavender. I will smell cookies to see if they are worth eating, like, if they're make with butter and real vanilla - you can smell it.

I hate Yankee Candles and air fresheners, and people who apparently have bathed in perfume. A little goes a long way.

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments This whole question has reminded me of Esmay's "Cake-sniffer" insults in the Lemony Snicket books.

I keep reading it as "Are you a cake sniffer?"

message 46: by Mona (last edited Oct 19, 2010 02:05PM) (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments My 5 yr-old will sniff food first to decide whether or not she'll eat it. She has this weird obsession with my armpits. She also loves perfume strips in magazines. She calls them "smellies."

My sense of smell is very sensitive but hubby's, not so much.

I do love scented stuff, candles,incense,perfume,soap,etc as long as it's not over-powering. I tend to gravitate to clean linen,crisp cotton, rain, and basically fresh clean smells.

I used to work with a woman who used to use those Victoria's Secret fruity body lotions. You could smell her as soon as she walked in the bank.

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I don't sniff urinal cakes.

message 48: by Kate (last edited Oct 19, 2010 02:42PM) (new)

Kate (kateharper) | 206 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "I've been told I smell good. :)

Some of us, like you, smell good; others of us just smell well and hope we also smell good.

message 49: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Didn't Otto do that too? Only his own armpits?

message 50: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) I smell food before I use it, no matter what the expiration date says. When in doubt, throw it out.
I hate air fresheners, I boil up lavender and rosemary, and use the water to mop my kitchen floor.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.