Dylanists discussion

Best Dylan books

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (last edited Oct 19, 2010 05:16AM) (new)

Steve I've only read two. Dylan's own effort, and GM's The Old, Weird America: The World of Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes, which I liked (well, two thirds of it anyway). I did take a stab at Dylan's Visions of Sin, but felt that though the idea for the book was fascinating, I felt Ricks was being way too inventive as far as "influences" go. What are your favorites?

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant here's my choice - the Razor's Edge

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric Gilliland | 2 comments I just read Bob Dylan in America by Sean Wilentz, which places Dylan within the context of American history. It is a fine work of popular scholarship. Another good one is "Highway 61 Revisited," by Mark Polizzotti from the 33 1/3 series. It is a must read for any Dylan fan.

message 4: by Sahar (new)

Sahar Rahbari | 1 comments 1-Bob Dylan: Behind the Shades by clinton heylin
2-Chronicles: Volume One by bob dylan
I did'nt read a lot of books about him but I think these are more intresting than the others that I read.

Jennifer (formerly Eccentric Muse) | 34 comments Mod
the one I've read most recently is Chimes of Freedom: The Politics of Bob Dylan's Art, which was just fantastic, esp. as I rec'd and was listening to the Witmark Demos at the same time.

message 6: by David (new)

David Cerruti | 7 comments Hot News Flash!
While this isn't a book, it might be important writing. Some of the U.S. Supreme Court justices are Dylan fans. According to this report on National Public Radio, “Bob Dylan's song lyrics are used more than any other writer's in court opinions and briefs”. The most commonly cited song is "Subterranean Homesick Blues," and in particular, one line from it.

“Keep a clean nose. Watch the plain clothes. You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows”.

Listen to the program (5 min.) or read the transcript at
http://www.npr.org/2011/05/10/1361819...

message 7: by Ralf (last edited Jan 02, 2013 10:45PM) (new)

Ralf (rlfstr) | 7 comments What's most shameful about Clinton Heylin is that he's obviously the most knowledgeable Dylan expert if there ever was one but his arrogant and smarmy tone is just offputting... I was especially frustrated with his attitude towards Howard Sounes who went through great lengths to unveil some incredibly well hidden facts about Dylan's personal life. If you can stand his tone, though, Behind the Shades is a must-read, especially if you're interested in Dylan's gospel years, drug use details (you get a pretty good sense of what he was putting into his bloodstream in 1965-'66 which I had always been curious about, although Nigel Williamson's Rough Guide summarizes this as well), and about the dynamics of his marriages.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissaharl) | 11 comments I've been grazing around again in Dylan's Visions of Sin since it's the Man's 75th birthday tomorrow (May 24, 2016) and I enjoy how Christopher Ricks analyzes so many of my favorites. Ricks also drew my attention to some classics tunes that I had otherwise neglected, namely Jokerman and Blind Willie McTell.

message 9: by Louie (new)

Louie Kemp (louiekempdylanme) | 6 comments Steve wrote: "I've only read two. Dylan's own effort, and GM's The Old, Weird America: The World of Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes, which I liked (well, two thirds of it anyway). I did take a stab at [b..."

Hi Steve, this is my first stretch on GoodReads and my first Group participation; "Dylan & Me: 50 Years of Adventures is just on the edge of release. I'm fairly biased as a friend and part of the PR Team, though I did love the book's authenticity, intricacy and the way it speaks to those whom Bob knew well like Larry Kagan and Producer Tzvi Small who have passed on, as my Dad (of Blessed Memory) passed away in March. I'd be grateful for you to check it out and hear your thoughts. (Dylanandme.com and the Rolling Stone review of the book is of course a solid angle). Thanks, very best to you and yours,
Ira for Author Louie Kemp,
Dylan & Me: 50 Years...PR Team

message 10: by Louie (new)

Louie Kemp (louiekempdylanme) | 6 comments Eric wrote: "I just read Bob Dylan in America by Sean Wilentz, which places Dylan within the context of American history. It is a fine work of popular scholarship. Another good one is "Highway 61 Revisited," by..."

Steve wrote: "I've only read two. Dylan's own effort, and GM's The Old, Weird America: The World of Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes, which I liked (well, two thirds of it anyway). I did take a stab at [b..."

Thanks Eric, these are both very insightful recommendations. I'd be grateful to hear your first impressions of Dylan & Me: 50 Years of Adventures, just on the edge of release

Ira for Author Louie Kemp,
Dylan & Me: 50 Years...PR Team

message 11: by Louie (new)

Louie Kemp (louiekempdylanme) | 6 comments Ralf wrote: "What's most shameful about Clinton Heylin is that he's obviously the most knowledgeable Dylan expert if there ever was one but his arrogant and smarmy tone is just offputting... I was especially fr..."

You might like hearing about Dylan from his childhood friend, the Producer of the Rolling Thunder Revue and Wedding Groom for whom Bob served as Best Man, Louie Kemp. Stories of Bob with Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Marlon Brando, Cher, David Geffen and more.

Dylan & Me: 50 Years of Adventures by Louie Kemp
Dylanandme.com. Pre Release until Aug. 15, 2019