FRS Brit Lit discussion

Discussion Response #3 due Wednesday 10/20 (B Block)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Costello (new)

Costello | 13 comments Mod
Take a closer look at a minor character from your story and introduce them to the group.
Does your main character have a side kick or a best friend that helps them through hard times? Is there an interesting antagonist, or villain, worth talking about? How does this other character contribute to the plot or main action of the story?
This response MUST BE AT LEAST A HEALTHY PARAGRAPH LONG (8-10 sentences)but can be more. This response MUST USE CORRECT SPELLING AND GRAMMAR AND BE APPROPRIATE FOR SCHOOL.

In addition to your response, I would like you to comment on one of your classmate's responses by clicking "reply" on their comment. Your comment MUST USE CORRECT SPELLING AND GRAMMAR AND BE APPROPRIATE FOR SCHOOL. Minimum of 3 sentences. Try to link your story and characters to theirs.

Quality completion of this will factor into your grade as a writing assignment/project, so please treat it as such.

message 2: by Keegan (new)

Keegan Downie | 11 comments There is a large number of very important supporting characters in my book. Because a fellowship of 9 characters was created around the protagonist, there are 8 very important supporting characters. The closest one to a side kick or best friend is Sam. Sam was Frodo's gardener before they left home. Sam contributes to the plot because he is always with Frodo. They are inseparable and when Frodo can not bear a burden Sam is always there to help him out. As for an antagonist, the most obvious would be the direct enemy to Frodo and the fellowship. This enemy would be Sauron although because he is not a living person his actions are seen through Black Riders or Ring Wraiths. There are very many characters in the book but the most important side kick is Sam and the enemy or antagonist is Sauron.

message 3: by Harry (last edited Oct 19, 2010 07:56PM) (new)

Harry Lee | 9 comments Before beginning to answer my response, i would first like to say that Mr. Costello might have picked out a question dedicated to my book.
The reason being is that, in the book Sherlock Holms, Minor characters do help a great deal in solving each mystery. In fact, the narrator whom recollects the adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a rather a "major" minor character. This man, whose name is Dr. Watson, helps Sherlock Holmes in gathering invaluable information in regarding each cases, arresting the criminals, and recollecting the ventures afterward.
Furthermore, Dr. Watson acts as a great psychological support for his friend Sherlock Holmes by being around him in his daily life as well as during any dangers.

However, there isn't an antagonist worthy of any mention at this point, because every case consists of new set of criminals (whom Holmes take down every time)

message 4: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Kotch | 9 comments Now, at this point in the story, the girl has has been allowed and swarn into the "group", or clan of pirates and is alble to travel with them. To many being with priates is not something that a person would liek but for this girl, ever since she was young, she has wanted to be a pirate and because of this; it is one of the climax of the story. She understands that she is the only girl to ever be alive on the ship and is the only one that has ever been invites to be in the clan. In guess would be that she goes to were her plantation is in jamaca and go to take there money and my guess is that her father, after being away for so long does not recognize her and tries to kill her.

message 5: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 9 comments A minor character from my book is Bill-E Spleen. He is Grubb’s new best friend who was trying to prove to Grubbs that Dervish is a werewolf. Bill-E also believes that Dervish is his father. Grubbs has doubts about that. Sadly when Bill-E and Grubbs go on an adventure to see Dervish transform, Bill-E is feeling very ill. They decide to bring Bill-E home instead, but he ends up transforming into a werewolf before they get there. Bill-E was the werewolf all along! Dervish comes in and save Grubbs from getting eaten by Bill-E. Bill-E does not make Grubbs feel any better because Dervish tells him that the curse of the werewolf is the family curse. Bill-E is really Grubb’s half-brother, and the only way to lift the curse off of him is it to win at multiple games of chess with Lord Loss, or Bill-E will die.

message 6: by Cameron (last edited Oct 20, 2010 08:38AM) (new)

Cameron Porter | 9 comments There aren’t many minor characters in my book. The story is really based around Ebenezer Scrooge. Although, the ghosts are temporary characters that each get to him and make him want to be a better person. The ghosts are starting to transform him into a better person. One other minor character is Tiny Tim. Tiny Tim was born crippled and his family is poor. The spirit of “Christmas yet to come” informs Scrooge that with the current conditions in Tim’s house, he will not survive the winter. The ghost also shows Scrooge the fun he would have had if he went to his nephew’s Christmas party. Scrooge is starting to regret how mean he is because of these visions and experiences.

message 7: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Porter | 9 comments Harry wrote: "Before beginning to answer my response, i would first like to say that Mr. Costello might have picked out a question dedicated to my book.
The reason being is that, in the book Sherlock Holms, Min..."

My book wouldn't be anything without a few minor characters too. They kind of set up the main characters and make them look good. I feel like this occurs in most books.

message 8: by Rachael (new)

Rachael | 9 comments Harry wrote: "Before beginning to answer my response, i would first like to say that Mr. Costello might have picked out a question dedicated to my book.

Sherlock Holmes kind of reminds me of the main character in my book, Grubbs. They both have friends that try to help them solve mysteries that one or the other could never figure out without the other. I wonder how Sherlock Holmes without Dt. Watson? I feel like he would not be able to solve as many mysteries without him. A think every person in charge needs some moral support, or else they’ll go crazy.

message 9: by Keegan (new)

Keegan Downie | 11 comments Harry wrote: "Before beginning to answer my response, i would first like to say that Mr. Costello might have picked out a question dedicated to my book.

Holmes sounds like the man. That relates to my story because Frodo Baggins is the man. Because of this I made him my profile picture on good reads. I am not sure what you mean by your first sentence. If you are saying that Mr. Costello is very good at creating questions for our books, I agree. I would also like to point out that this is the second response I have read that you wrote. I did not comment the first time, but I have noticed that you have left I's lower case. Just letting you know.

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian Sicard | 6 comments Kyle wrote: "Now, at this point in the story, the girl has has been allowed and swarn into the "group", or clan of pirates and is alble to travel with them. To many being with priates is not something that a p..."

This kind of reminds me of Elizabeth from Pirates of the Caribbean. In the very beginning of the movie, she talks about how she is fascinated by pirates, and everyone else thinks she is foolish because of it. Then she becomes a pirate just like in this book. It seems to me like the movies could have been based on some of the ideas in this book.

Amanda-chyeaaboiii | 12 comments A very minor character in my book is Bombur. He is a fat little dwarf who is always stuck with the worst end of the stick. He travels on the adventure with Bilbo Baggins and the other 12 dwarves led by Thorin Oakenshield. He is fat and slow, and the others always make him carry Bilbo on their journey. I'm unsure if hes just slower than the others, or its because they always make him carry Bilbo, that hes always huffing and puffing along behind the others. Also, they expect him to be responsible for Bilbo, no matter what. Because he is so fat, and just kind of an outcast, the others also make him go last for everything, which tends to end up with him screwing up. He ended up showing up earlier than intended when going into Beorn's house, and slipping into the enchanted river in the forrest. This makes him go to sleep, and instead of worrying about him, the other dwarves simply complain about the trouble he's causing them. Overall, Bombur just is a cuhbby dwarf that nobody really seems to like and is just beat on. He's by far my favorite though, because I just like to read about it, and feel bad for him. Besides carrying Bilbo and providing some comic relief, Bombur has no real significance to the plot of the book.

p.s. i just realized that i've been posting in D blocks responces, so, you may just wanna like double check that....

Amanda-chyeaaboiii | 12 comments Rachael wrote: "A minor character from my book is Bill-E Spleen. He is Grubb’s new best friend who was trying to prove to Grubbs that Dervish is a werewolf. Bill-E also believes that Dervish is his father. Grubbs ..."

This book sounds like something I would read for comic relief. It sounds interesting enough, having werewolves and what not, but the names are so funny, and just the entire thing sounds like something I would internally be making fun of. :) So since Bill-E and Grubbs are half brothers, I would think that he's going to have a more important role in your book now? I guess I'll find out as you read more.

message 13: by Crispinds (new)

Crispinds | 9 comments The character in my book "Lenina" is a rebel in a way towards the systematic society that my book composes. Her behavior is very unconventional as opposed to the other characters. Unlike the norm for society she chooses to date one man exclusively for months at a time. She works as a vaccination worker in the london conditioning center.

Oddly enough she does fit in normally in terms of relating to other people. She relates to other people through sex... She's unable to understand other peoples values or beliefs. She also gets into relationships with two of the main characters Bernard, and "John the savage".

message 14: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Kotch | 9 comments In keegans paragraph he used the word, fellowship, which i know comes the movie, the fellowship of the ring. That was one of the biggest things that I picked up when reading his responce. They only thing i can not still understand is how is it that different from the book?

message 15: by Crispinds (new)

Crispinds | 9 comments Cameron wrote: "There aren’t many minor characters in my book. The story is really based around Ebenezer Scrooge. Although, the ghosts are temporary characters that each get to him and make him want to be a better..."

That's an awesome concept, having the ghosts try to transform the way a living person "lives". However, that seems to be a pattern in literature, where ghosts aren't bad, they try to help people. Such as in hamlet, the ghost of Hamlet Sr. tries to let hamlet know what happened to him and asks hamlet to revenge him.

message 16: by Harry (new)

Harry Lee | 9 comments Keegan wrote: "There is a large number of very important supporting characters in my book. Because a fellowship of 9 characters was created around the protagonist, there are 8 very important supporting character..."

Similar to your book, the main character of my book, Sherlock Holmes, is always accompanied by his friend, Dr. Watson. Dr Watson always stay within Holme's reach whenver Holmes needs help. Furthermore, Dr. Watson's medical knowledge often allowed Sherlock Holmes to further expand in his investigations. I think the great friends allow great characters to shine more.

message 17: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 9 comments A minor character in my book, A Passage to India, is Adela. She is a very important part of the story. Adela is Mrs. Moore's bigoted son Ronny's girlfriend. Most of the plot of the story is centered around Adela because she causes all the drama. She accuses Aziz, the main character, of making inappropriate sexual advances towards her. She does this because someone did attack her and she is very confused. Also she found out she hates Ronny, because he's the worst. Anyway Aziz goes to trial and all the English support her and then she just admits she lied. Then all the English hate her, and Aziz still hates her, but eventually things work out. It was interesting to see that she just totally got cold feet and called it all off. I wouldn't say I liked her, but she is important to the story.

message 18: by Sophia (new)

Sophia | 9 comments Cameron wrote: "There aren’t many minor characters in my book. The story is really based around Ebenezer Scrooge. Although, the ghosts are temporary characters that each get to him and make him want to be a better..."

Kind of like my minor character, except not really. Sounds like a good story, though. It's probably weird to read it when it's not Christmas.

message 19: by Hhh99811 (new)

Hhh99811 | 9 comments Artemis's companian and body gaurd is Butler. The Butlers have been serving the Fowls for centuries. Every Fowl was asigned a Butler as a body gaurd. Butler is the closest thing Artemis had to a father. And Artemis was the closest thing Butler had to a friend.

message 20: by Hhh99811 (new)

Hhh99811 | 9 comments Cameron wrote: "There aren’t many minor characters in my book. The story is really based around Ebenezer Scrooge. Although, the ghosts are temporary characters that each get to him and make him want to be a better..."

Since when do ghoasts try and make a person better. Just reading ur coment sounds makes no sence to me at all. I feel bad for the poor crippled person though.

message 21: by Zach (new)

Zach | 6 comments there isent really any other charicter that is really a sidekic or best friend but he meets other kids his age and makes friends befor he is sent to point blank at that rich peoples house he meets a kid at the school that he chills with in the day at school. then his new friend who isn't like the others was screaming and being pulled down a stair case to the basement floor which is off limits to him. The next morning he goes to his friend and asks him if was o.k. and still wanted to escape. But unlike the day before he said that it would be wrong and that maybe it would be better to stay and learn. THen Alex noticed the weirdest part his friend now ate like the ohter boys at the school and had started doing everything like them. He decides it's time to contact M16 with a special radio built into a c.d. player thatt sends a signal to M16 saying that he is in distress

message 22: by Zach (new)

Zach | 6 comments Hhh99811 wrote: "Artemis's companian and body gaurd is Butler. The Butlers have been serving the Fowls for centuries. Every Fowl was asigned a Butler as a body gaurd. Butler is the closest thing Artemis had to a fa..."

have you read the other books that your reading

message 23: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 3 comments My main character has two "side kicks". They are Ron and Hermione (who Harry wasn't fond of at first but eventually she grew on him). Both characters accompany Harry in his search to find out what is hidden beneath the trap door. Harry also has some enemies. Malfoy, who is a jerk but harmless for the most part and Snape who is one of Harry's professors. Harry believes Snape is out to get him but later realizes that Snape tried to save his life. Finally there is Voldermort whose main goal is to kill Harry. He is known to be very dangerous. Voldermort contributes to the plot because he is the reason Harry is always in danger.