FRS Brit Lit discussion

Discussion Response #3 due Wednesday 10/20 (A Block)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Costello (new)

Costello | 13 comments Mod
Take a closer look at a minor character from your story and introduce them to the group.
Does your main character have a side kick or a best friend that helps them through hard times? Is there an interesting antagonist, or villain, worth talking about? How does this other character contribute to the plot or main action of the story?
This response MUST BE AT LEAST A HEALTHY PARAGRAPH LONG (8-10 sentences)but can be more. This response MUST USE CORRECT SPELLING AND GRAMMAR AND BE APPROPRIATE FOR SCHOOL.

In addition to your response, I would like you to comment on one of your classmate's responses by clicking "reply" on their comment. Your comment MUST USE CORRECT SPELLING AND GRAMMAR AND BE APPROPRIATE FOR SCHOOL. Minimum of 3 sentences. Try to link your story and characters to theirs.

Quality completion of this will factor into your grade as a writing assignment/project, so please treat it as such.

message 2: by Callie (new)

Callie | 9 comments A minor character from my book's name is Karen. She's Jem's foster mom. She always tries to be there for Jem, but Jem doesn't always appreciate it. She doesn't like people in her business. Jem's best friend and sidekick is Spider. They do everything together, they even hide from the cops together. Spider always helps Jem out when she's sad, but Jem doesn't appreciate because she doesn't like people seeing her with her guard down and she doesn't like talking about it. There are a bunch of antagonists. There's the cops, Tattoo face, the teacher, and the citizens of London. Spider helps create the romantic side of the plot with Jem, by falling in love with her. The antagonist get in the way of Jem and Spider being together by looking for them and trying to send them to jail. They also force Jem to deal with the fact that the numbers won't go away and people around her will eventually die whether she's ready or not(i.e. Spider).

message 3: by Sabryna (new)

Sabryna Whitman | 9 comments A minor character from my book is Nesta's dad, Matt. He is important to the main action of the story because he is the reason Nesta can't hang out with Luke. Nesta decides she doesn't want to listen to him, so she sees Luke anyways. Nesta becomes suspicious of why her dad won't let her see him, so she looks into it. This whole situation makes Nesta go crazy. She eventually finds out that Nesta's dad and Luke's dad, Gianni, had a fallout over Nesta's aunt when they were younger. Matt was supposed to see that she got home alright, but he was with another girl, so he asked Gianni to do it. When Gianni and Nesta's aunt, Nadia, were on their way home, a drunk driver hit their car and Nadia was killed instantly. Matt blamed Gianni for not taking better care of Nadia, but he also blamed himself for not seeing her home like he was supposed to. When Nesta found everything out from Luke's mom, she thought that if she could bring Matt and Gianni back together, everything would be okay. But that was the opposite of how her dad felt. Things between everybody did end up working out okay, which made Nesta very happy.
Without Nesta's dad in this book, the whole plot would be different. There would have to be another problem that Nesta would have to deal with. I'm curious to see what the problem could have been if her father wasn't involved in the book.
Nesta has three best friends who I've mentioned before: Izzie, T.J., and Lucy. Each one of them helps Nesta at a different point in the book, as they each have different advice to give based on their opinions. They contribute a lot to the book too, because without them, Nesta would have a very hard time deciding what to do.

message 4: by Callie (new)

Callie | 9 comments Sabryna wrote: "A minor character from my book is Nesta's dad, Matt. He is important to the main action of the story because he is the reason Nesta can't hang out with Luke. Nesta decides she doesn't want to liste..." Matt and Karen are similar people, because Karen also get's in the way of Jem hanging out with Spider, because she thinks that Spider is a bad influence and doesn't want Jem seeing him. In Sabryna's book Nadida dies, and in my book a bunch of people die, but in both books they death of people affect the whole story.Unlike Jem, Nesta has three best friends, Jem only has Spider, but like Nesta,Jem's friends help her out throughout her book.

message 5: by Dan (new)

Dan Beckley | 8 comments Alex, had his friends, which betrayed him, because he mistreated them and didn't respect them. He no longer has them or anybody as a sidekick. Even his parole officer who tried his very hardest to help him has turned on him now that he's in jail for murder. In jail he has no sidekicks or friends, everyone is on their own. So those who were once his friends have now become antagonists, working against Alex, and his desire to do whatever he may please. There is a possibility that he will find people in jail that will have the same interests as him, but Alex is not a very welcoming person. He seems more interested in being independent, rather than finding people that can help him out. It seems that he is on a downward spiral, but maybe he always has been. Even with his "friends" he never really had anyone to help him out, he always saw it as just him out there.

message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan Beckley | 8 comments Callie wrote: "A minor character from my book's name is Karen. She's Jem's foster mom. She always tries to be there for Jem, but Jem doesn't always appreciate it. She doesn't like people in her business. Jem's be..."

It seems as though maybe these characters have something in common with mine. Both could portray Alex. Alex has a wild side, a need to break the law and defy society. However, he's also guarded, he doesn't want to let anyone in. He feels he doesn't need the help of others. Spider and Jem, both represent a side of Alex.

message 7: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Rice | 6 comments Well, in my book Juliet Naked. NAKED doesnt happen very often. there is a small character, his name is Berkley. He makes Duncan, the husband of the wife, Annie, break into Juliet's house. Juliet is the girl Tucker, the washed up rock-star's, ex-girlfriend. Tucker, however, is obsessed with her and it scares her ass away. Obviously. Anyways, this book really hasn't caught my interest. The wife, Annie, breaks up with the boy, Duncan, because he's obsessed with another man, not her. I can understand that.

message 8: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Rice | 6 comments Callie's a smart student. I believe she deserves an A+. Thanks :) also our books have NOTHING in common, mainly because mine is about a gay man married and hers is about some chick who can foresee deaths.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 6 comments In my book, Lord Loss, the protagonist, Grubbs Grady has a best friend who is later revealed to be his half-brother named Bill-E. Throughout the whole time once Grubbs arrives to live with his Uncle Dervish is helping him and being the shoulder Grubbs needs to lean on to overcome the trauma caused by his family's gruesome murder. Bill-E is even in one the whole magical scandal of the Grady family from their ancestor Bartholemew Garadex who was a powerful wizard. Bill-E sympathizes with Grubbs and believes him whenever grubbs mentions the talks of Lord Loss, Artery and Vein. Even when they begin to think that Uncle Dervish may be a werewolf Bill-E stikes with Grubbs was they investigate the truth. Then in the end Bill-E is revealed to be the true werewolf and from their close brotherly/best friend bond Grubbs risks his life along with Dervish to save Bill-E from the werewolf curse that runs through the Grady bloodline. Though on par with Bill-E's close friend bond with Grubbs there is always the main antagonist Lord Loss, who is a Demon Master from an alternate universe who is just as horrendous and intriguing as any villian seen before. Not too mention his addiction to chess, which the Grady family practices to play with extremely skill like a secondary religion.

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 6 comments Joe's "sidekick" would have to be his wife Clarissa. She helps him with all the problems in his life and she tries to help him with the whole Jed Parry Fiasco. The "villain" in this book would have to be Jed Parry because he is the one who keeps stalking Joe and getting Joe all upset. They contribute to the story because they are the main people in the book so far, and they are the ones who are effecting the main character.

message 11: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Santos | 9 comments I have already partially introduced her, but Marcus' mother is a fairly minor character. Her name is Fiona. She's always really depressed, and at one point even tries to attempt suicide. I believe she's really depressed, probably because of her lack of a partner. She's there for Marcus as much as she can be, but it's obviously hard for her when she has her own problems. She contributes to Marcus because without her, he wouldn't have met Will. Will has come into their lives, and I believe he'll make everything better for Fiona and also for Marcus. I think he'll teach him a few things about learning how to deal with bullies in school. Fiona isn't a main character, but she's not completely a minor character either; she is the reason for many connections.
I feel like there really isn't a villain in the book, unless you count the actual characters. They're their own enemies. For example, Will just has a nonchalant attitude and doesn't really care about anything. He doesn't work either. So he's just working against himself in that aspect.

message 12: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Santos | 9 comments Sabryna wrote: "A minor character from my book is Nesta's dad, Matt. He is important to the main action of the story because he is the reason Nesta can't hang out with Luke. Nesta decides she doesn't want to liste..."

Our books sort of relate because our stories would be totally different without the role of a parent. Without Fiona in my book, there wouldn't be the same story line. It's interesting how Nesta's dad and Gianni's dad had a back story. I feel like everything has to have a back story, just like how Fiona is depressed because she's divorced and couldn't find a partner for awhile.

message 13: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Swasey | 5 comments A minor character from my book would be Mrs. Shears. She is one of the Boones's neighbors. She also is the neighbor whose dog was murdered and Christopher is investigating. She woudl also frequently go over to the Boones's to cook dinner for them after Chris's mother "died". She doesn't have anyone to help her through the hard times since her husband left her.
There necessarily isn't a villian in the book, but you could say Chris's father is kinda a villian to Chris. He would keep big secrets from Chris which he has tried to keep hidden. He contributes to the plot by he also tried to stop Chris from finding out who killed Wellington, and told Chris that his mother died, when really she just left the family.

message 14: by Kacey (new)

Kacey Roberts | 8 comments A minor character from my book would be Sam's mom. She had Sam when she was 16, just like how Sam is 16 now and also having a kid. Sam's mom is like his best friend. She always gives him good advice, and is always there for him when he needs her. She is helping him through having a baby at his age, because she experienced it first hand. She is actually pregnant again with her new boyfriend. This sort of freaks Sam out because one: he won't be an only child anymore, and two: his son will be older than his new sibling. This kind of freaks him out. Overall she is a good mom and really cares about her son.

message 15: by Kacey (new)

Kacey Roberts | 8 comments Dan wrote: "Alex, had his friends, which betrayed him, because he mistreated them and didn't respect them. He no longer has them or anybody as a sidekick. Even his parole officer who tried his very hardest to ..."

I can sort of relate my main character Sam to your character Alex. When Sam finds out he is going to have a baby he thinks nobody is on his side. He also thinks that he is the only one out there, and that nobody will help him. Eventually though, Sam comes around and realizes that people do want to help him.

message 16: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (Kabramson) | 9 comments A minor character from my book is Kacey. Kacey is a snobby girl in Sam's youth group at the church who dislikes Sam for no apparent reason. She is not nice to anyone but Sam still doesn't know why Kacey dislikes her. My main character, Sam, has a best friend named Vanessa. Sam and Vanessa were extremely close until she started to stray away from everyone after her mother went to rehab. The one person closer to Sam than Vanessa was Sam's mother. Whether she was driniking or not she was always there for Sam and always loved her. So now there is no one that Sam has to guide her through the hard times that she is facing because her mom isn't there and she won't talk to anyone else anymore. The person I am going to talk about as a "villain" does not fit the category of a villain but is someone who is making Sam very suspicious. Erin is the youth group leader at the church. She is very kind hearted but has a suspicious relationship with Sam's dad. Sam wants to be able to trust her dad but doesn't know what to think about how Erin is always around now that Sam's mom is gone, and the way they look at each other. This character relates to Sam because Sam wants her so called "perfect" life back and Erin stepping more into her life all of the sudden is making that life even more unreachable.

message 17: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (Kabramson) | 9 comments Callie wrote: "A minor character from my book's name is Karen. She's Jem's foster mom. She always tries to be there for Jem, but Jem doesn't always appreciate it. She doesn't like people in her business. Jem's be..."

Karen in your book reminds me of Erin in my book. Erin, like Karen with Jem, is trying to be there for Sam but Sam doesn't want to talk to anyone about everything she is going through. Even though Sam thinks she should maybe open up, she doesn't like the feeling of Erin trying to get her to talk about how she feels.

message 18: by Sabryna (new)

Sabryna Whitman | 9 comments Kayla wrote: "I have already partially introduced her, but Marcus' mother is a fairly minor character. Her name is Fiona. She's always really depressed, and at one point even tries to attempt suicide. I believe ..."

I agree with Kayla. Both of our books would be completely different if a parent wasn't involved somehow. Just like how Fiona is a connection for many things in Kayla's book, Matt is a connection for many of Nesta's problems in my book. It seems like Marcus and Nesta have something in common too: one of their parents is trying to be there for them, but they are having a hard time due to their own problems.

message 19: by Seth (new)

Seth | 9 comments One of the minor characters in my book is Big Joe. Big Joe is the younger brother of Thomas and he has a mental disability. Even though he's just a minor character, I think that he is the most important minor character because he is the example of innocence in my book. What I mean by this is that due to his mental disability, Big Joe isn't aware of what people think of him and just loves/cares for everyone and everything even if they despise or hate him. For Thomas, his best friend would have to be his older brother Charlie. The book, even though it's from Thomas' perspective, is mostly centered around Thomas and Charlie. Even though Charlie is married to Molly who Thomas also loves, that doesn't affect the bond that Charlie and Thomas have. When WWI starts and Charlie enlists, Thomas also enlists just so he can watch out for Charlie and make sure he can get home to Molly. The antagonist in my book would have to be the Colonel. The Colonel, is the cruel wealthy man who owns the cottage where Thomas' family lives, and who his mother, late father, and Charlie work for. He contributes to the plot in a major way since he threatens to evict the family if Charlie doesn't enlist in the army and go off to fight which in turn causes Thomas to enlist.

message 20: by Seth (new)

Seth | 9 comments Sarah wrote: "In my book, Lord Loss, the protagonist, Grubbs Grady has a best friend who is later revealed to be his half-brother named Bill-E. Throughout the whole time once Grubbs arrives to live with his Uncl..."

I probably will never read this book, but it seems pretty interesting. Also there seems to be a lot going on in your book from what you're saying in your paragraph. The only way that I can see our books being linked is the strong bond that Grubbs Grady and Big-E seem to have, which is kind of like the bond that Charlie and Thomas share.

message 21: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Merritt | 11 comments Jewel is a minor character in my book. He is a unicorn and has always been by King Tirian's side in battles and such. But of the group of characters he doesnt have much to say. He goes with them everywhere but when he does say something its a very encouraging, motivating thing to say. He gives the group moral support. He has saved their lives multiple times. Jewel is the wisest of the group because hes been around the longest and knows much about Narnia.

message 22: by Andy (last edited Oct 25, 2010 05:31PM) (new)

Andy Cox | 8 comments A minor character in my book is Tarquin L. Woodsorrel, kind of a wierd name. Anyways he is a rabbit that the mousemaiden (who is now known as mariel) meets in the woods, when she is searching for Redwall. He is a little wierd and keeps singing love songs about another rabbit. Incidently Mariel has met the rabbit before and when she tells Tarquin, he immediately helps her. They get to Redwall some stuff happens and Mariel sets off on revenge to kill Gabool the pirate leader. Tarquin is not done from the story, he now joins up with Mariel and some other minor characters and they set off together. He turns out to be a great asset although he is very wierd and hyper. He is worth talking about because he has helped Mariel so much and is interesting. He is of course a good character in the book as he is no villain and although he annoys Mariel, is a great help.

message 23: by Andy (new)

Andy Cox | 8 comments Andrew wrote: "Jewel is a minor character in my book. He is a unicorn and has always been by King Tirian's side in battles and such. But of the group of characters he doesnt have much to say. He goes with them ev..."

This Jewel is just like Tarquin and also the opposite of Tarquin at the same time. He is like Tarquin because they are both by the main characters side in battle and help a lot. He is very different from Tarquin though in his quietness. Tarquin won't shut up in his hyper mentality and his constant singing of love songs about another rabbit.

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Bourque | 10 comments A character in my book which could be considered a minor character is Aunt Reed. She had been a bully to Jane in the first book always degrading her because she was a orphan and thrown into Aunt Reed's family. Later in life Jane attempts reconciliation with her aunt but Aunt Reed refuses because Aunt Reed's husband always loved Jane more then his actually children. I think because of this relationship with her aunt Jane is always gonna seeem a bit hesitant to love other people because of how she was raise.

message 25: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Bourque | 10 comments Costello wrote: "Take a closer look at a minor character from your story and introduce them to the group.
Does your main character have a side kick or a best friend that helps them through hard times? Is there ..."

I feel like Karen is similar to Aunt Reed but the difference is the Karen is nicer to Jem and actually care about her while Aunt Reed dispises Jane. Its interesting to see how Aunt Reed and Karen are both minor characters but have somewhat contributed to our characters personalities. Thats how I feel with Jane and Aunt Reed. I'm not sure if the same goes for Karen and Jem

message 26: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Merritt | 11 comments Andy wrote: "A minor character in my book is Tarquin L. Woodsorrel, kind of a wierd name. Anyways he is a rabbit that the mousemaiden (who is now known as mariel) meets in the woods, when she is searching for R..."

That is weird how your minor character is just like the minor character in my story but is also quite different. My minor character also met the main character in my story the same exact way your minor character met the maiden. That is extremely weird, them both meeting in the woods.

message 27: by Stana (new)

Stana | 9 comments The main character in my book Heidi has all of her friends to be her side kick. At the beginning of the book she only has one of her friends as a “side kick” and now she has all of her friends in that position. There are no villains or antagonists to talk about in my book. This is because, unlike real life, there are no “mean girls” to ruin the moment. This was a thing I liked about this book. The author made sure that there were no ways that the book could actually be ruined by on character. This is probably what made the book so easy to read for me. Since there is no other character they could not possible contribute to the plot or main action of the story. Sorry Costello.

message 28: by Stana (new)

Stana | 9 comments Chelsea wrote: "A minor character from my book would be Mrs. Shears. She is one of the Boones's neighbors. She also is the neighbor whose dog was murdered and Christopher is investigating. She woudl also frequentl..."

Mrs. Shears sounds like a really nice lady. Its really nice the way she helped Chirstopher and his family get through the hard times when his mother died. Chris's dad seems like he would be a "villian" because of what you said. Keeping secrets from your family isn't really a good way to make your bonds stronger...

message 29: by Travis (new)

Travis Whittle | 4 comments There is no villain in my book because its told from 2 points of view that are opposed to each other. And Will has a side kick, the girl that is the child of his mentor who dies. She hides that she's a girl and fights with him and uses her girly charm to get guys to talk to her. Baybars doesn't have a side kick for amount of time because he likes to kill them, other than the assassin that ran away before he could be killed. His many temp helpers assist him in taking control of a country and then rallying that country to attack the westerners who are coming to their lands.