What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Fantasy book similar in some ways to The Lord of the Rings

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1 comments I read this book I believe in about 1982-83, for some reason the title The Wizard of Island keeps coming to mind when I think of the book. I have searched but this title seems to get me no where.

It is similar to the LLR as it has a wizard and dwarfs involved in the plot.

There are two parts of the book that I seem to be able to remember clearly.

The first is that the main characters are escaping an attack in a cave system where they swim through an underground river. At some stage they have to take the plunge and swim once they have run out of room to breathe in the tunnel that the river runs in.

The second is during an attack one of the characters, a dwarf possibly, ties himself to a tree with his belt to continue fighting as he is to wounded to stand and fight any longer.

Any help would be most appreciated.

message 2: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 108 comments Could it possibly be The Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner? It has a Gandalfish wizard, dwarves (one of whom dies in the climactic battle, can't remember the bet and tree detail) and chases through a cave system. I guess most things with dwarves will have caves ...

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike (3lan) | 46 comments The Hobbit, which is really a precursor to the Lord of the Rings trilogy has some of that in it.

There are so many though that might fit the bill: The Sword of Shannara (http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Shannara-...) is one that might.

message 4: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 55 comments I was also thinking it might be The sword of Shannara.

message 5: by Jai (new)

Jai | 61 comments Tolkien spawned a whole genre. Take a look at these.

Most Obvious Tolkien Imitators: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/60...

Best "Second World" Fantasy, After J.R.R. Tolkien: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/19...

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Shawn's still on GR but hasn't been active since Nov. 2011. I sent a PM with a link, but we might have to move this to Abandoned.

Still, those are good resources, thanks for posting, Jen.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 8 comments I faintly remember someting like this happening in

A Wizard of Earthsea

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) No response from the OP, moved to Abandoned.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40227 comments Mod
I wonder if this is Journey Outside:

Borderline science fiction/fantasy with stratified symbolism that reads like Plato's "parable of the cave" in raw outline. Dilar leaves the dark world of his Raft People (who are looking for "a Better Place") to find the legendary world of "green" and "day." Climbing up a (rabbit?) hole, he encounters sunlight and green trees and Dorna of the People Against the Tigers. After sharing their pleasant but no-future-planning life, he stumbles into the cave of a devout animal-lover whose concern for the welfare of his four-footed friends blots out care for the boy's human desires. Escaping, he passes the Not people (who almost ignore him) and, still looking for a Wise Man, he comes upon Vigan, who doles out the answers dramatically. He explains the Raft People--how they retreated to the underground river after a harsh life on earth and refused to admit their mistake--but cannot dissuade Dilar from wanting to return and lead them back to the light....

message 10: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2481 comments The first paragraph reminds me of The Farseekers by Isobelle Carmody, but not sure about the second.

message 11: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Almost positive this is The Weirdstone of Brisingamen. The wizard's name is Cadellin Silverbrow, much like Gandalf. The swim through the flooded caves happens while they're running from the svart alfar. The dwarf who ties himself to a stone pillar to keep fighting is Durathror. A great book :)