The Breakfast Club discussion

Upcoming Reads by President > Next month's book ideas!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 37 comments Mod
Okay, I've been on a foodie novel kick lately, so I've been reading lots of them. I wanted to try to find a new one that I haven't read to pick as our book for November but I also really want to share a couple that I've already read. So, here are 3 choices and I want everyone's input so I can decide on one! :)

1. The Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz
2. Spoon Fed by Kim Severson
3. Cooking for Mr. Latte by Amanda Hesser

Okay, and the last thing is I'm not telling you which ones I've read! That way no one is worried about me having already read it because I will totally read it again if I already have! That's how much I love the books and want to share them!

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 37 comments Mod
P.S. I looked all of those up on Amazon to get descriptions of them! I should have added them on here but I thought it would way too long of a post! They are super easy to find on there though! :)

message 3: by Leti, Former President (new)

Leti Elizabeth (thebrandstylist) | 49 comments Mod
Mandy wrote: "P.S. I looked all of those up on Amazon to get descriptions of them! I should have added them on here but I thought it would way too long of a post! They are super easy to find on there though! :)"

Ahh sweety, you should have totally done that. I am like the queen of long posts so dont worry lol.

Okay, off to Amazon to fish out these descriptions! :)

PS- you totally know me Mandy...anything with Paris in the title and I'm sold. Plus, Molly from Oragnette worships David..so thats that!

message 4: by Leti, Former President (new)

Leti Elizabeth (thebrandstylist) | 49 comments Mod
Ok done! Here is my two cents:

Cooking For Mr. Latte is written by a NY Times food writer, but is more dating chic lit with recipes (can anyone say formula for bestseller?)

Spoon Fed is also written by a NY Times writer, but is more of an honest memoir that some of my fave bloggers mentioned they actually cried while reading. Now that's good writing.

Sweet Life is written by the infamous David, and though I yearn to finally read something all about Paris, David to me represents a research project I want to dive into. He has 5 books in all and a uber popular blog. I plan to read all books and blog archives one day, but not anytime soon. More like Xmas break lol.

So my vote is for SPOON FED! The dating book I could read in one hour flat on the train I'm sure ;)

message 5: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 37 comments Mod
Okay, good point. Here are the descriptions:

Cooking for Mr. Latte: Courting a foodie is not always easy. However Hesser's self-depreciation in her food oriented world can give any single girl hope - that she will find a soul-mate who doesn't always share all her interests. At the same time there is enough for the food lover who enjoys well-written prose and insider musings on the food world. The characters are well-drawn and Hesser's love for her world shines through...

Sweet Life in Paris: Like so many others, David Lebovitz dreamed about living in Paris ever since he first visited the city in the 1980s. Finally, after a nearly two-decade career as a pastry chef and cookbook author, he moved to Paris to start a new life. Having crammed all his worldly belongings into three suitcases, he arrived, hopes high, at his new apartment in the lively Bastille neighborhood.
But he soon discovered it's a different world en France.
From learning the ironclad rules of social conduct to the mysteries of men's footwear, from shopkeepers who work so hard not to sell you anything to the etiquette of working the right way around the cheese plate, here is David's story of how he came to fall in love with—and even understand—this glorious, yet sometimes maddening, city.
When did he realize he had morphed into un vrai parisien? It might have been when he found himself considering a purchase of men's dress socks with cartoon characters on them. Or perhaps the time he went to a bank with 135 euros in hand to make a 134-euro payment, was told the bank had no change that day, and thought it was completely normal. Or when he found himself dressing up to take out the garbage because he had come to accept that in Paris appearances and image mean everything.
The more than fifty original recipes, for dishes both savory and sweet, such as Pork Loin with Brown Sugar–Bourbon Glaze, Braised Turkey in Beaujolais Nouveau with Prunes, Bacon and Bleu Cheese Cake, Chocolate-Coconut Marshmallows, Chocolate Spice Bread, Lemon-Glazed Madeleines, and Mocha–Crème Fraîche Cake, will have readers running to the kitchen once they stop laughing.
The Sweet Life in Paris is a deliciously funny, offbeat, and irreverent look at the city of lights, cheese, chocolate, and other confections.

Spoon Fed: From the prominent New York Times food writer, a memoir recounting the tough life lessons she learned from a generation of female cooks-including Marion Cunningham, Alice Waters, Ruth Reichl, Rachael Ray, and Marcella Hazan. Somewhere between the lessons her mother taught her as a child and the ones she is now trying to teach her own daughter, Kim Severson stumbled. She lost sight of what mattered, of who she was and who she wanted to be, and of how she wanted to live her life. It took a series of women cooks to reteach her the life lessons she forgot-and some she had never learned in the first place. Some as small as a spoonful, and others so big they saved her life, the best lessons she found were delivered in the kitchen. Told in Severson's frank, often funny, always perceptive style, Spoon Fed weaves together the stories of eight important cooks with the lessons they taught her-lessons that seemed to come right when she needed them most. We follow Kim's journey from an awkward adolescent to an adult who channeled her passions into failing relationships, alcohol, and professional ambition, almost losing herself in the process. Finally as Severson finds sobriety and starts a family of her own, we see her mature into a strong, successful woman, as we learn alongside her. An emotionally rich, multilayered memoir and an inspirational, illuminating series of profiles of the most influential women in the world of food, Spoon Fed is Severson's story and the story of the women who came before her-and ultimately, a testament to the wisdom that can be found in the kitchen.

All descriptions from barnesandnoble.com. They seemed a little more detailed than others.

I agree Leti! Spoon Fed sounds super good!

message 6: by Basht (new)

Basht I am agreeing with Spoon Fed. All of them sound like great reading, but from the sounds of the descriptions, it's more of a journey.

message 7: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseaalysse) I agree, Spoon Fed :)

message 8: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 37 comments Mod
Awesome! Spoon Fed it is! I'd say everyone is going to enjoy it! I hope so at least! :)

message 9: by Deandra (new)

Deandra (deandraayu) | 14 comments Yay! new book! "the best lessons she found were delivered in the kitchen" :) :)
so excited! :D