Movies We've Just Watched discussion

LISTS, LISTS, AND MORE LISTS > What film do you wish was new to you?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Which film(s) do you wish you could see for the first time...again? These would be films that blew you so thoroughly away that you'd love to relive that joy or intensity.

I have several films that I love and watch again and again, but PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC is one the top of my list. Others would be MALTESE FALCON, CASABLANCA, THRONE OF BLOOD, REBECCA, SECRET OF ROAN INISH and THE ROAD WARRIOR. I would add MARY POPPINS to that as well, not because I'm a fan of the film or not, but rather because it was the first movie I ever saw as a child in the theatre. I still remember how excited I was.

NOTE: I practically got to do this very thing with WIZARD OF OZ last year. I got to see it on the big screen for the first time in about 35 years. I saw so many new things that you can't see on TV, it was like a brand new film. I felt like I was about 5 years old again. I love that film, and will cherish that opportunity the rest of my life.

message 2: by Phillip (last edited Oct 18, 2010 05:29PM) (new)

Phillip | 10782 comments hmmm, the wizard of oz is a film i wouldn't want to see for the first time. for me, part of the thing i love so much about that film (besides the film itself) is all the memories of watching it with my family when i was a kid. we would wait eagerly until we found it in the tv guide, and then count the days until it was screened on the tube. like you, i LOVE seeing it on the big screen, and since i don't get to do that all the time, it always is a little like seeing it for the first time. i remember seeing it in color for the first time (we had an old black and white set when i was a kid). that was SHOCKING!

let me think about this for a bit and get back to you - interesting question.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Cindy wrote: "Which film(s) do you wish you could see for the first time...again? These would be films that blew you so thoroughly away that you'd love to relive that joy or intensity."

I think about this with books a lot, but almost never movies. But aside from one movie I will never see again, I'd think anything from my top 100 of all time list would qualify...

message 4: by Kim Marie (new)

Kim Marie | 31 comments When I was about 12 my mother and I saw The Sound of Music at the cinema together and we loved it so much that we wanted to go straight back in and watch it again. That was a wonderful feeling!

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Of all the films that I wish I could see new, Apocalypse Now comes to the top of the list.

A few others I would like to see as a newbie:
Blade Runner
Soylent Green
Orpheus
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory - 1971
8 1/2

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Sounds like we grew up in the same household. We had a B&W TV also, so for years I never knew that Oz was in color. That didn't at all take away from how much I looked forward to WIZARD OF OZ every year -- Easter, wasn't it? -- and loved it.

Funny thing...TBS took over from CBS a few years ago and started showing OZ on an annual run. The first year they didn't put the commercials in the right place...for instance, after the Cowardly Lion goes through the window. Apparently people complained, because the next year the commercials were right :)

message 7: by Ariadna (new)

Ariadna | 618 comments I would like to feel the same excitement I felt all the times I saw a new Lynch movie...

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Ariadna wrote: "I would like to feel the same excitement I felt all the times I saw a new Lynch movie..."

I agree. I re-watched Blue Velvet and EraserHead a few years ago, it was good to see them againg, but the shock factor wasn't there.

message 9: by Phillip (last edited Oct 21, 2010 01:35AM) (new)

Phillip | 10782 comments me too. i watched blue velvet about a year and a half ago with someone who had never seen it. it was cool - i hadn't seen it in a long time, and it still really packs a punch.

i watch eraserhead a lot - it never gets old.

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Phillip wrote: "i watch eraserhead alot - it never gets old..."

Hmmm...that's kind of a weird movie to watch "alot". I'm beginning to worry about you, Phillip. ;)

message 11: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10782 comments as well you should

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Phillip wrote: "as well you should"

LOL

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Can we pick on Phillip a little more? LOL j/k

I think that's great that you can watch that film over again. I lost my tolerance for that film after walking through an underlighted Industrial Work Plant alone a few late nights with ear plugs and a hard hat.

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10782 comments when i watch eraserhead these days, i can't stop laughing.

"what do you do, henry?"
"oh .... i'm on vacation".

message 15: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5485 comments "henry's very clever at printing."
"yes. he looks clever."

message 16: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10782 comments ha!

message 17: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments I mentioned in another thread that David Lynch films freak me out. I've never seen ERASERHEAD, so I really shouldn't comment. However, I did see a documentary called MIDNIGHT MOVIES that discussed it in detail, along with several clips. I can see that same creepy weirdness that I get with Lynch's other works. I'll probably see it one day, but I can't say I'm gonna enjoy it.

message 18: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10782 comments i've told this story here before, but here it goes again - i watched it with my mom once, and when it was over, she said, "i'm not sure i understood that one". so we watched it again right then and there, and i explained some of the symbolism. she became a fan of lynch. when we saw blue velvet together, she said, "i liked that movie - i'm not sure why, and i think i probably shouldn't like it, but i did".

miss her.