Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Librarian, please

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments I entered my audiobook that was just released, ISBN 9781936253043. It's an edition of Nebador #1. Thanks.

message 2: by willaful (new)

willaful I've combined it. That will give it the same series info as the book version.

message 3: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Thank you!

message 4: by J.Z. (last edited Oct 26, 2010 11:36AM) (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Here's some more things need doing:

A couple of my editions came through from Amazon, but the system doesn't know they're mine, probably because there's a space between the first and middle initials: 9781936253197 and 9781936253241.

Also, another copy of my Book One, Kindle edition, appeared (ASIN B0036RTYMO). In the one already in the database, I had specified the ISBN (9781936253067). Should I leave the ASIN to avoid this duplication in the future? Could you delete one, combine, or whatever is best?

Thanks!

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments J.Z., I moved the books onto the correct author profile and combined them.

For the Kindle edition, does it actually have an ISBN? Kindle editions usually don't, which is why the system is set up to show an ASIN or an ISBN, not both.

message 6: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Cait, Thank you!
I forgot to mention that the first 2 were editions of Nebador #3, but you noticed.

Yes, my Kindle editions have ISBNs, but it looks like we'll continue to get duplicates if I specify it on GR.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26624 comments J.Z. the ISBN information could go in the description field if you want to keep the ASIN in its proper place.

That way there is at least a chance of not duplicating if the person actually looks at the existing books.

message 8: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Sandra or Cait,
Yes, that's what I was thinking. I'll leave the ASIN in its field to avoid the dups coming in from Amazon. Could you combine B0036RTYMO with 9781936253067, and B003TU2K4W with 9781936253135, in each case leaving the ASIN. They are editions of Nebador #1 and #2, respectively. Then I'll otherwise clean them up.
Thank you again!

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26624 comments J.Z. It's done. :)

message 10: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Hi,
May I trouble one of you wonderful librarians with some more book set-up work?

These came in from Amazon, but don't match me because of a space between the initials. The first 3 are editions of Nebador #3, the last is a study guide, and is a Nebador book, but NOT an edition of #3. I believe this is done by specifying the series, but not a number.

ASIN: B004BLKCXE (a Kindle ebook)

Finally, I entered the following because it will not come through your usual sources. Please mark it as part of the Nebador series, but again NOT an edition of any of the numbered books (as it is a trilogy edition that contains #1, #2, and #3).

Thank you!
J.Z. Colby

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45034 comments Mod
Got 'em.

message 12: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Rivka,
Perfect! Thank you!

message 13: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Would one of you wonderful folks mark 9781936253258 as mine. It doesn't match because of the space between the initials. It's an edition of 9781936253173.
Thanks!
J.Z. Colby

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 159 comments Done. Space removed and book combined with the other edition.

message 15: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Thank you, Chris!

message 16: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Hi,
Somehow, recently, the "Deep Learning Notes" for the first three books of my Nebador series got combined in as editions of the novels. They are not "editions" of the novels since they don't contain the novels, but are just study guides. They used to list separately by having the series as "Nebador" but without the "#1", "#2", etc. Listing them as "editions" is going to confuse people, possibly even cause people to buy them, thinking they are getting the story, when they are not. Could this be fixed? They are: 9781936253074, 9781936253159, and 9781936253234.
Thanks!
Jonathan Colby

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Fixed.

message 18: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Thank you, Rivka, but there seems to be a glitch. The 3 books in question have vanished from the novel edition lists, as we wanted, but don't show up on my book lists anywhere. However, if I search for the ISBNs, they appears to be set up correctly, have me as the author, etc. Is this just one of those things that take GR a little longer to fully process?

message 19: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The only place they were not showing is your author profile (which is cached, as all author pages are). I forced the cache to reset, so they are there now.

message 20: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Greetings, librarians,
I added the first edition of Nebador #4 (ISBN 9781936253265) a few days ago, and it shows fine in my list, but I guess it still needs one of you folks to put it in the series.
Thanks!

message 21: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Done.

message 22: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Thanks, Rivka!

message 23: by Jared (last edited Mar 28, 2011 01:11PM) (new)

Jared (wisthrop) | 170 comments http://www.goodreads.com/series/41511...

Major help needed with this series/author. I think I got most of the books put into the series and editions combined for the primary works, but there are a lot of secondary/audio/combined editions that I'm not sure how to handle. Also, I didn't get most of the titles formatted in the series. It took me long enough to add and sort the 56 primary books in the series. If anyone has time it help out it would be much appreciated! :)

message 24: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26624 comments I've formatted the primary works that needed attention.

message 25: by Jared (new)

Jared (wisthrop) | 170 comments Sandra wrote: "I've formatted the primary works that needed attention."

Thanks so very much! I was just a bit overwhelmed yesterday or I could have done them all, so I appreciate the help! :)

message 26: by dely (new)

dely | 130 comments I hope to be in the right discussion.
I have seen this italian edition of The Kreutzer Sonata: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/96...

The series "Great Loves - Penguin Books #9" is not part of the italian edition and I suppose it is not part of all the editions of this book.
Is it possible to delete it?

message 27: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Agreed. It does not meet our guideline for series (that they must apply to ALL editions of a book). I have deleted it.

message 28: by dely (new)

dely | 130 comments Thanks.
Surely the member who has added the series has choosen the wrong field to add it and so it ended in all the editions.

message 29: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

No, it just seems to have been a librarian who doesn't understand how series work.

message 30: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Hi all,
I just added 9781936253272, 9781936253289, 9781936253296, and ASIN B004V9G8GG. They don't match me because of a space between the initials, as usual. Could one of you fine librarians whip those names into shape, and mark them as editions of Nebador #4 please? Then I'll be able to clean up the other fields.
Thank you!
J.Z. Colby

message 31: by Marilu (new)

Marilu | 65 comments I think it is fixed now. Going to double check that I got all editions.

message 32: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Hi Marilu,
Thanks! I cleaned up the other fields, and everything looks right. They are still listing as separate works on my author page. Is that one of those things that fixes itself after a day or two?
J.Z. Colby

message 33: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments J.Z. wrote: "Hi Marilu,
Thanks! I cleaned up the other fields, and everything looks right. They are still listing as separate works on my author page. Is that one of those things that fixes itself after a d..."

Yes, the author's page is cached.

message 34: by Marilu (new)

Marilu | 65 comments J.Z. wrote: "Hi Marilu,
Thanks! I cleaned up the other fields, and everything looks right. They are still listing as separate works on my author page. Is that one of those things that fixes itself after a d..."

You're welcome!

message 35: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Hi guys,
I've added 9781936253326 to my books, but it doesn't match me as author, as usual, because of the space between the initials. It's in the NEBADOR series, but NOT an edition of Book Four (it's a study guide). After one of you fine librarians do the name and series, it will let me edit all the other fields to clean it up.
Thanks!
Jonathan Colby

message 36: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments J.Z. wrote: "Hi guys,
I've added 9781936253326 to my books, but it doesn't match me as author, as usual, because of the space between the initials. It's in the NEBADOR series, but NOT an edition of Book Four ..."

Fixed the author name, not sure what you wanted for the series since the other study guides aren't on the series page.

message 37: by J.Z. (new)

J.Z. Colby (nebador) | 54 comments Hi Deborah,
Thanks! For a while the librarians were marking the study guides as part of the series but not giving them a number, but more recently have not been doing that. I am ignorant about the effective difference between the two, or any politics involved. It's probably fine as is, I'll post again if not.
Jonathan

message 38: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! | 4 comments dely wrote: "I hope to be in the right discussion.
I have seen this italian edition of The Kreutzer Sonata: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/96...

The series "Great Loves - Penguin Boo..."

rivka wrote: "Agreed. It does not meet our guideline for series (that they must apply to ALL editions of a book). I have deleted it."

dely wrote: "Thanks.
Surely the member who has added the series has choosen the wrong field to add it and so it ended in all the editions."

rivka wrote: "No, it just seems to have been a librarian who doesn't understand how series work."

My apologies for being the librarian to flub this. There IS a series of 20 books called Great Loves published by Penguin Books. They're so pretty that I wanted to input the set into gr (http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/cs/uk...), but obviously I biffed it by not taking the time to dig up the proper editions...and not understanding how series work.

Just for my clarification, when there are many, many editions of a book, parts of many different series, are these series' names then hard-entered into the book title of that particular edition (so that it isn't a hyperlink to a series' page)?

For example, this one: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27...

When you say "It does not meet our guideline for series (that they must apply to ALL editions of a book)," does that mean the hyperlinked-separate-page series?

message 39: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That is not a series at all -- no series info should be on the title line OR hyperlinked.

The information can certainly go in the edition field, though.

message 40: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! | 4 comments I...see? Not a series, I can understand that. Edition instead, I can see that, too. Can an explanation of this be added to the librarian manual? I'd consulted that before going forward and the info was pretty scant. Penguin has them numbered so it was misleading while trying to compare it to gr's standards.

message 41: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 | 358 comments Eh?Eh! wrote: "I...see? Not a series, I can understand that. Edition instead, I can see that, too. Can an explanation of this be added to the librarian manual? I'd consulted that before going forward and the ..."

Yes, the Librarian Manual is scant as it is right now. But this folder of threads might help you: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...

I think the reason the LM is so scant is probably because they don't want to bombard Librarians with too much rules. If the Librarians have questions about the rules, there is always this group and its old threads. At least this is how I perceive it to be.

message 42: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! | 4 comments Ah, thank you! I'll just ask in the future if the edit is more complicated than a typo, since I will never catch up to all the changes.

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura (lolly-pops) Dear Librarian -

Can you please add Promised to Another by Laura Hilton to my list of books (I am the author) so it shows up on my data page?

It is the third in my series Amish of Seymour.

Thank you.

Laura V. Hilton

message 44: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2443 comments Fixed 43

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura (lolly-pops) thank you! :)