Axis Mundi X discussion

Working In an Ideal World

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) I have noticed that several people on GR seem to be working in their personal ideal profession. So I started to think about what profession I would have pursued in an ideal world.

Currently I am a drone in a large organization where I perform office work most of the time. I have good benefits and my job is pretty secure. Growing up in a family wherein my dad did a lot of job-hopping and never had health benefits, those things have always been important to me. So when I entered the real world, I focused mainly on obtaining a job which offered those two things.

I think, however, in an ideal world, I would have become a linguistic anthropologist. going to work and studying languages all day, learning about different cultures, and I get a paycheck for it; where do I sign up? I took several classes in college and was seriously considering it, but in speaking with many in the profession, I discovered that job security was definitely lacking. I’m not sorry about the choice I made, but that would have been a great job for me.

So, what would you do in an ideal world?

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Exactly what I'm doing now. Writing poetry and making art. But then, I never had to support a family, or even myself. When I look back on my life, it seems I won the crapshoot.

message 3: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Speech Therapist, or Jackie....but, I really like what I do now as well, so I'm pretty happy.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) In an ideal world, I'd be Kristin Chenoweth.

message 5: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
successful novelist

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I don't mean to sound snotty, but I'm doing ok on that end....I have a ton of flexibility through which I get to hang out with my kids a lot, I get to wear pretty much whatever I want, and I have some control and meaning in my job. I guess I'd like to do a bit more teaching and a bit less administration but I can live with it because the administration part allows me some influence on the rest of the gig.

I might like to do a bit more research sometimes, too.

message 7: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
In an ideal world, the windows in my office would open. Sigh.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Also, one time I went to a basketball game and observed a trainer of some sort rubbing some kind of linament or something on Peja Stojakovic's thigh muscles. That would be a good job, too.

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Yes, but Sarah, you'd eventually have to let him get up so he could play basketball...

I can just see Sarah..."no, Peja! Stay! Stay! I'm not finished yet!"

:)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Honey, when I was through with him he wouldn't be able to stand up straight, much less play.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony The Lakers would probably have wanted to hire you a couple years back to take care of Peja before they had to play the Kings....

message 12: by Cyril (new)

Cyril In an ideal world, I would have a job where I could beat the crap out of people and get away with it but still have time to spend with the kids.

message 13: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
In an ideal world, the cats would clean out their own litter box. And vacuum.

message 14: by Willie (new)

Willie | 57 comments In an ideal world I would like to do:

Art, bonsai, raise koi and be successful and make money doing it. As a side job, in theory, I would like to blow things up. Setting off big fire works are one of those things that makes me giggle and grin like a silly little girl.

Jackie-I did see a book on how to teach your cat to use the toilet. Vacuum...that would be a good one.

Cyril-Dominatrix? :)

message 15: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I would love Sarah's dream job, but with Hockey players! :) (Shut up, RA!)

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 62 comments My dream job!hmm King of something but not to big dont really want responsiility,and endless supply of books!!! yep thats my job any openings

message 17: by Varmint (new)

Varmint pretty much doing what i want. just need more money. always more money.

message 18: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments In an Ideal world I'd be a full time dancer - being paid to dance would be great. I'd also love to cheer for one of The LA Lakers or one of the other big sports teams in America - Cheerleading is big over here but not many sports team have cheerleading squad.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony What is this hockey of which you speak, Amy? I've heard it's on the far reaches of cable television, but I've yet to actually spot this reputed sport...

(Amy, I thought of you last night when Ichiro batted in the all star game...)

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Hayley, the dancers for sports teams don't generally make enough money to support them. Most have other jobs. I've known several dancers for the Kings and a few for the 49ers.

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly In an ideal world: I'd have trained since I was a little girl to be an opera singer, and travel the world as an opera prima donna soprano (though of /course/ not in attitude) singing all the world's great houses. Unfortunately, I started my training too late in life, and thought I wasn't good enough to sing opera, and stuck with belting out Broadway stuff. By the time it was gradually beaten into my head that I could do it, it was sort of too late, and I had never focused on learning music the way I should have. Also, I could not spend day in, day out with theatre people (apologies to Sarah and her husband).. but in an ideal world, I would be great and successful at it.

... unfortunately, in reality, I have no idea what I'd like to do. And that is the really important part.

PS-RA: You didn't think of me as well? Sniff. I'm insulted.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) It's okay, Kelly. I can't spent day in, day out with theatre people either.

message 23: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments Sarah, i would still do it - I love to dance and doing the type of dancing I do mixed with the cheerleading it would be great. I would also love to dance in music video's but I don't think I have the right look for TV.

message 24: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Ruth, you’re a lucky woman. RA, ditto (except for the woman part). And I’ve said it before, but I’m in awe of anyone who can teach. I taught an elective course (Spanish) to Middle Schoolers for about a year, and that’s all I could take. It was either throw one of them out the window, or quit. And throwing someone out the window wouldn’t have done much good, because I was on the ground floor, so I quit.

Cyril, Willie, Mole, you have inspired me, so I would like to change my ideal job – I would like to be a linguistic anthropologist who beats people up, blows things up, and lives like a king, but with no responsibility. And Hayley, never let it be said that Rusty discouraged a cheerleader. Good luck.

message 25: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 576 comments Rusty I'll get there one day I'm competing in Nationals next March I think and my coach wants to aim to get to Amercia in 2 years time to compete over there. I'm going to get all my coaching done, so maybe I can make a living out of doing that - hire myself out to teams.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I've got a family farm in West Virginia that no one wants. Anyone want to rent it?

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Bastard.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Actually, Steve, I don't know. I haven't been inside the house in years. You'd be more than welcome to put one in, though.

message 29: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Hmmmmm,… I do love West Virginia. It’s a little close to Washington DC for my taste, but It’s a beautiful state. Would my complete ignorance as to all things agricultural hamper me in any way? If not, I’m in, Sarah.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) It's not currently a working farm. It hasn't been since my husband's grandmother died. If you want to live there and just mow the lawn and care for the 40 acres and the house, then lemme know.

The farm's been in the family for 150 years. Once Brent's dad is unable to care for it, we don't know what we'll do with it. We don't want it, Brent's sister doesn't want it, and Brent's cousins don't want it. But we can't sell it, because 150 years of history is too much to sell.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Donna, as I said I haven't been there in years and it's actually my husband's family's farm. But if you're really interested, I can put you in touch with my father-in-law.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yeah, and when my father-in-law becomes too old to care for it (he's 73 now) I'll probably really be looking for a tenant.

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
In an ideal world I would be an uber master tinker-er.

Spend all day messing around in my shop, building contraptions. Possibly inventing something worth while. I use Dr. Micho Kaku as inspiration. He built a supercollider in his parents garage, with parts from a junkyard, in junior high. We share a passion for the future and what could be.

However My scope is rather narrow, and I don't think I could support my family tinkering in the garage. Sniffles.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) So, Nick, are you really honestly and truly building a ginornmous catapult in your yard?

yes'um

message 36: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
I miss living on a farm. Unfortunately my ex husband lives there, so it's sort of frowned on for me to go plop my kit bag down. Too bad, he's hardly ever there anymore anyway. And I designed that damn house. Oh well... he'll be dead someday. ::::watches calendar in anticipation:::

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 129 comments I currently love my job as a child and family therapist, though I would within a couple of years like to add "licensed psychologist" to the end of that title. Plus maybe a day a week in private practice doing psych evals. A little adjunct faculty job on the side, mostly supervising student therapists. Oh, yeah...and a few months off a year to be a rock star. 'Cause, you know, if I were a rock star I'd need time to tour 'n' stuff.

message 38: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 83 comments Assitant to David Tennant's embodiment of the Doctor.
In an ideal world he'd be real.

*nods*

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Hmm, I thought I was having deja vu...

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show_g...

Wow and I was consistent, I guess, I really want to be a tinker-er.