Q&A with Sue A. Maynard discussion

The Story So Far...

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue A. (marajade29sm) | 5 comments Mod
Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself and say a bit about how I got to ... wherever it is I am now! My name is Sue, and I was born in a little town in Ontario, Canada.

OK, we don't really need to go THAT far back! :)

In short(-ish), I've always wanted to write, and often did while growing up, but I really lack the motivation and discipline to finish most of the project that I start.

I took a few writing courses online as an adult, just to make myself attack deadlines and write complete sentences from time to time, and then stopped again as work and life got in the way some more.

Flash forward a couple of years, and for reasons I won't go into here, I needed a distraction around November 2009. I needed a BIG distraction, and I needed it very badly. So I signed up to participate in National Novel Writing Month that year.

I never intended to finish. Never even intended to hit the 50K word count mark. But several things kept me going, and before the month was out, I had a complete first draft, sitting at about 55 000 words!

From there I edited it and tried to make everything flow together and make sense. In March, I ordered my proof copy from CreateSpace, and approved it (admittedly too fast, though) just in time to surprise my mom with a copy of my very first book delivered to her door for her birthday!

Ever since, it's been a bit of a whirlwind. I'm trying to get my book out there as best I can, I've been merchandising it a little, I've done my first real signing event in my hometown area, and now I'm about to be featured as part of Ryerson's Chang School for Continuing Education winter ad campaign!

In addition, I've completed the first draft of my next book, Ebon Black and the Seven Dryads which, as you can probably decipher, is a fun re-telling of the classic fairytale, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Only, mine comes with a twist. ;)

AND I have a third book in the works - one which I actually started before the other two - and I will work on that one more once I get Ebon off the ground!

So there you have it. Lots going on, lots more coming, and I thought it would be fun to share it here, with all of you. So, anything you want to know - about the books, the self-publishing through CreateSpace experience, the idea that strangers are now reading my story and how that feels, why I bother to write at all when my day job is so long and tiring that I should really just watch TV and go to bed at night...anything and everything you want to know or talk about, I shall do my best to respond!

Except plot details that are too spoiler-y, because that just ruins the fun for EVERONE, really! ;)

Until soon,

Sue

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1 comments Wow, Sue, how exciting! I have never heard of CreateSpace. Can you tell me a little more about it?

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue A. (marajade29sm) | 5 comments Mod
Ha Why yes, I can! I realized after I posted that I'd neglected to mention that CreateSpace is Amazon.com's self-publishing division, and that they are one of the sponsors of NaNoWriMo. They'd offered all of the NaNo "winners" a free proof copy of their manuscript, which I thought was really cool, and it was one of my motivators for finishing the challenge, after all.

Once I'd gotten the proof, all I had to do was accept it online, and it would be posted for sale on Amazon.com, as well as CreateSpace's website. And then for a small one-time fee, my book could be put up for sale all over the place, through their expanded distribution program. Now it's available online in Canada and the UK, several more places in the US (Barnes and Noble, etc) and a few other online sites around the world that I've managed to find here and there on Google! lol

Backing up, then, CreateSpace is a print-on-demand publisher. They have several included services for helping people bring their manuscripts to life, including a really cool cover creator. I took all of the pictures in my book...both covers and the author shot inside near the back. But I was able to upload the cover shots into their creator, and see how they looked with a HUGE variety of templates. I could have uploaded my cover in its entirety if I was more talented with the computer! lol

I got my proof for free, but it's possible to order one for, like, $5 - $10, depending on the size, number of pages, etc. I did all my own editing, chose the fonts, the paper size and colour, etc. Basically, aside from the cover, the whole thing was a .pdf file that I sent in, and they print from it as requested.

They also have programs that are more expensive, but include a lot more help in marketing and promotion...publishing packages, if you will, to help you launch your book.

I've never done this before, so I am no expert, but their customer service is EXCELLENT. They are always quick and thorough in their responses to my questions, and have taken great care of my account and my book from the beginning. I'm way impressed with them, and if I end up self-publishing my next book, there is NO doubt that I will be going through them once again!

I've had a fabulous first experience, I must say! :)