Cozy Mysteries discussion

Book and Series discussions > Favorite Agatha Christie Mysteries

Comments (showing 1-50 of 92) (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Rice | 4 comments She wrote so many and I think they're all brilliant, but we each have our favorite. Mine is The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side What is yours?

message 2: by Nancy (last edited Oct 18, 2010 08:49AM) (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 145 comments You're right, its hard to decide. I'm going to go with Murder on the Orient Express (as its now called) by a hair. I love the period details and the romance of the train in addition to the fabulously constructed murder.
Nancy Lynn Jarvis
Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 154 comments I, too, would find it hard to choose a favorite. Murder on the Orient Express is probably my favorite also for the reasons Nancy listed. I would think it a real dream trip to travel on it.
Two others that are probably in a 3-way tie for favorite are The Murder of Roger Ackroyd & Ten Little Indians.

message 4: by Sue T (new)

Sue T (SueTinge) | 623 comments It's really hard to pick, but my favorite is probably And Then There Were None. I also really like all the Tuppence and Tommy books.

message 5: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 310 comments I really like all the Miss Marple mysteries, but one of my favorites is A Caribbean Mystery.

message 6: by willaful (new)

willaful Ooo, hard to choose. I love The Hollow, Towards Zero, The Moving Finger, Sad Cypress -- mostly the sadder, more dramatic ones, I guess. :-)

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 145 comments (A bit off topic, I hope you don't mind.)
Martha,
Did you see the ride David Suchet(?), the actor who does Poirot so well, took on the Orient Express? It was a special presentation on PBS before some newly released Poirot mysteries. The train was fabulous and I decided to book a trip immediately! I looked up ticket prices. I'm calmer now.

message 8: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 154 comments Yes, wasn't it wonderful?! I'm sure the ticket prices are out of my reach, not to mention the trip to get there!! Ah well, I took 4 of my grandkids to ride a museum train this summer. We all enjoyed it and the 2 & 3 year olds are still talking about the train ride!! Maybe they'll get to ride the Orient Express someday!! LOL

message 9: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 8177 comments Mod
That PBS special was awesome. For anyone who missed it, you can watch it online:

David Suchet on the Orient Express

I think my favorite Christie novels are a tie between And Then There Were None and And Then There Were None.

message 10: by Shay (new)

Shay | 410 comments My sentimental favorite is Murder on the Orient Express because that was the first one I read. (After seeing the movie) My favorite is The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

message 11: by Kelley (last edited Oct 18, 2010 01:59PM) (new)

Kelley (BookNerd69) | 245 comments Mine is Why Didn't They Ask Evans? aka The Boomerang Clue, which I think is the UK title. This is a stand alone Christie and I love the banter and back and forth that the lead characters do in the story. Of the Poriot books, I love Appointment with Death. As for Miss. Marple, I like The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side.

message 12: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (penumbria) | 7 comments My favorites are And Then There Were None (stand alone) and The Thirteen Problems (Miss Marple) and N or M? (Tommy/Tuppence) and Murder on the Orient Express (Poirot).

message 13: by Christy (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 101 comments My favorite is And Then There Were None, stand alone. Favorite Miss Marple is A Murder is Announced, favorite Poirot is Death on the Nile. Favorite Tommy & Tuppence novel is probably N or M?

How do you underline the book titles? Don't see how to do that..sorry.

message 14: by Martha (last edited Oct 19, 2010 12:46PM) (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 154 comments Christine, use the "add book/author" feature above the comment box. You can add the link or cover. The link or cover option is at the bottom of the feature once you've searched for your book. It's very handy!
And Then There Were None

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

message 15: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) | 154 comments OK I edited that post 3 times ... hope I got it right finally!

message 16: by Heather L (new)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 8177 comments Mod
And if you really only want to underline, you can use simple html code -- click on "some html is ok" above the comment box. I often have to settle for that instead of hyperlinking when GR decides it doesn't want to let me link, as it was doing last night.

message 17: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Rice | 4 comments And Then There Were None would have to be my second favorite, but I think it's the best of the stand alones.

message 18: by willaful (new)

willaful (Or if you're in a hurry, the old kludge, _Title_. Or "Title." Though that could be confusing in this thread, because it's often used for movies.)

message 19: by Robin (last edited Dec 17, 2010 11:14PM) (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 635 comments The Mysterious Affair at Styles is a very good read.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

It is so hard to pick one favorite. I have enjoyed "The Tuesday Club Murders" with Miss Marple. The Mysterious Affair at Styles for Poriot. However, one of my very favorite is The Mysterious Mr. Quin

message 21: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 635 comments Never read "The Mysterious Mr. Quin".

message 22: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 310 comments Oh, I remember reading that one a long time ago. I'll have to see if I can find it to reread. I remember liking it very much.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mysterious Mr. Quin is a short story collection. Mr. Satterthwaite who finds himself in various "dramas" and in comes Mr. Harley Quin to help him. I seem to remember a short story in another collection called The Harlequin Tea Set that features Mr. Quin, but I can not find it.

message 24: by Kaye (new)

Kaye (momgee) | 847 comments I just finished Nemesis last night for the "Winter" challenge and enjoyed it a lot. I also read Endless Night and didn't really care for that one. It read more like an Alfred Hitchcock short.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Nemesis is one of my favorites too.

message 26: by Beth (new)

Beth | 610 comments Mine was Murder on the Orient Express because I've always loved to travel, and train travel is especially fascinating to me.

message 27: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) | 635 comments I haven't read that one, Must check it out!

message 28: by Aileen (new)

Aileen I think my all-time favourite is The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Just so brilliantly written. Close second is The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side.
I do adore Miss Marple, but Poirot is irresistible too. Not fond of Tommy and Tuppence, or Mr Quinn

message 29: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 310 comments I tookSparkling Cyanide in audio form out of the library and enjoyed it very much. It's one of my favorite non Marple/Poirot books.

message 30: by Mary (Biblophile) (last edited Feb 16, 2011 09:08AM) (new)

Mary  (Biblophile) | 1620 comments I always liked her lesser known THE PALE HORSE and ENDLESS NIGHT. I started reading her in junior high and loved every one of her books.

message 31: by Jessica-Robyn (new)

Jessica-Robyn I haven't read enough of her books to choose a favourite quite yet but I am currently reading Masterpieces in Miniature: The Detectives: Stories by Agatha Christie which is 700 pages of her short stories including Parker Pyne, Harley Quin, Hurcule Poirot, and Miss Marple. It's turning out to be a great introduction to the characters and Agatha Cristie is just as captivating writing in the short story format as in the few novels I've read so far.

message 32: by Donna (new)

Donna | 11 comments Murder on the Orient Express would be my favorite.

message 33: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (KathrynLively) I tend to favor Poirot. I agree that Murder on the Orient Express is a favorite, but I also enjoyed Evil Under the Sun and Curtain.

message 34: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 1013 comments Miss Marple's A Murder Is Announced and A Caribbean Mystery, of course Poirot's Death on the Nile is also a favorite.

message 35: by Karen (last edited Mar 13, 2011 10:34AM) (new)

Karen I love her. She got me started on cozy mysteries. I would have to say that her book about the Indian's disappearing, one by one as each murder happens until none are left(sorry you probably all know the name of the book: It escapes me at the moment. was Library book) Maybe this was not a cozy since it was extra dark compared to her others. Movie had nicer ending, but even though it deviated from book somewhat, was a great movie I thought.

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen Went back up and saw someone named this:"And then There Were none." that's it. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

message 37: by Doug (new)

Doug Beatty | 11 comments I love Hallowe'en Party... and the Clocks. And Sleeping Murder. Mystery of the Blue Train is pretty good, too.

message 38: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 413 comments My favorites that I keep rereading are:
Peril at End House
Cat Among the Pigeons
Death on the Nile
Sparkling Cyanide
Murder on the Orient ExpressThe Murder Of Roger Ackroyd
Probably in that order.
And probably others I forgot.
But these are my most favorites that I've read more than 5 or 6 times each.

message 39: by Sassy (new)

Sassy | 40 comments I really loved,"Mousetrap" or, "Three Blind Mice".
Plus, "Clocks" was a great one too.
Three Blind Mice

The Clocks: A Hercule Poirot Mystery

message 40: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 413 comments Another favorite of mine is Five Little Pigs

message 41: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (plvannest) | 2 comments I finished Nemesis a couple of weeks ago. It's a bit different, but not in a bad way.

message 44: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Hanjae) | 83 comments Haha, Ellie, you had 6 books under "close seconds"! I feel your pain, though; it's so hard to decide because they're all so good. Agatha Christie's novels are what got me into murder mysteries. I pretty much inhaled her whole bibliography in a few months!

That said, I have three favourites:
Death Comes As the End
The Pale Horse
The ABC Murders

My choices are a bit unusual, I think - I haven't seen too many people list the same ones as mine (both in this group and other forums).

message 45: by Karin (new)

Karin Kaufman | 21 comments My favorites are A Murder Is Announced and The Body in the Library.

message 46: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 238 comments My problem is I can't remember some of the titles. I liked all of the Miss Marple ones I have read. "And Then There were None" was a big favorite. A couple of the titles that seem familar to me, so I must have really enjoyed them - ABC Murders, A Pocketful of Rye and of course Murder On the Orient Express

message 47: by Janice (new)

Janice Hamrick | 12 comments I love Murder in Retrospect (also called Five Little Pigs) and A Caribbean Mystery, but I have to say all of the Miss Marple books can't be beat.

message 48: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 310 comments Miss Marple is a favorite of mine, too.

message 49: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 238 comments Here's a question... several actors have portrayed Miss Marple in movies. Do you have a favorite Miss Marple actor? Mine would probably be Helen Hayes. She sounded just like I would picture Miss Marple to sound

message 50: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 5122 comments Karen B wrote: "Here's a question... several actors have portrayed Miss Marple in movies. Do you have a favorite Miss Marple actor? Mine would probably be Helen Hayes. She sounded just like I would picture Miss ..."

Not an Agatha Christie fan, but I saw somewhere that they're doing a Miss Marple update, on TV, I think. Anyway, Jennifer Garner is going to be Miss Marple.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side (other topics)
And Then There Were None (other topics)
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (other topics)
Appointment with Death (other topics)
Why Didn't They Ask Evans? (other topics)
More...