Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

All Things Amish > Amish Food

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
I have been reading several books, some Mennonites, but the food is killing me in the books. It sounds sooo good! I made fluffy buttermilk pancakes the other night for dinner because the description that the author gave for them in the book I was reading made me want them. I also have drank more hot chocolate and hot herbal tea than in a long time.

What kinds of foods have reading Amish books made you want to fix them or What Amish foods have you tried? and Anyone tried any of the recipes that most authors put in their books?

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) The Kauffmann Amish Bakery books have some excellent looking recipes in them! I've yet to try any as all the measurements are US and I need to convert them, but they definitely look yummy. Those books are awful to read as they're set in a bakery (duh) so you get very hungry. Best to have snacks at hand!

I've been debating buying an Amish recipe book - anyone have any recommendations?

message 3: by Kristy (last edited Oct 18, 2010 04:03PM) (new)

Kristy Jones (kristynicole3712) Where I was raised, the Amish-made pies were amazing! The best I've ever tasted..They use the freshest, purest ingredients.

I've had my eye on the Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook..looks like some good recipes in there and may be worth looking into..Has anyone else tried any recipes from it?

I'd really like to try some different Amish bread recipes. In the Beverly Lewis book, there's an Amish Friendship Bread Starter recipe which my mother used to make. It does take 10 days to make, but to me, that's what's so great about it - that, and getting to share it of course! :)

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1574 comments Mod
I recently finished A Time to Love by Barbara Cameron. A friend is now reading it and I didn't get the pretzel recipe out of the back before I handed it over. I really want to give them a try. I love to buy Auntie Anne's pretzels at the mall, but would love to have my own.

message 6: by Lorie (new)

Lorie | 1324 comments Mod
There is a recipe in Lydia's Charm I can't remember the name of it Frogsomething Stew. That was interesting and really did not sound Amish to me lol

message 7: by Barbara (new)

I have Beverly Lewis's cookbook and have made the pickled beets from it. I'm hoping to get Wanda E. Brunstetter's set from my in-laws for Christmas.

message 8: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments Lorie wrote: "There is a recipe in Lydia's Charm I can't remember the name of it Frogsomething Stew. That was interesting and really did not sound Amish to me lol"

Yum, I love Amish pickled beets! There is something different that they used compared to other pickled beets that is spectacular! They are so sweet too!

message 9: by Barbara (new)

I'm presently reading Spring's Renewal and I so want a slice of peanut butter pie!

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Ooh, I've never heard of peanut butter pie before - sounds great!

message 11: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments My grandmother is Pennsylvanian Dutch and if there's one thing I remember growing up it was her cooking. It was always so rich and delicious. They sure know how to make great food!

message 12: by Janet (new)

Janet | 153 comments I wonder if my love for amish fictions stems from my love of food? I too enjoy reading about the food and then finding the recipes in the back, I will say I have not tried too many but one of my favorites is the haystack supper. Not sure what book it was in though - I think I had to google how to make it.
Yep the Frog..... was something I want to try.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Rachel wrote: "Ooh, I've never heard of peanut butter pie before - sounds great!"

It's the best! Follow this link to Yoder's Amish Restaurant in Florida and watch the "Man vs. Food" episode... http://yodersrestaurant.com/

message 14: by Gail (new)

Gail (widowretiredyahoocom) | 83 comments Hi everyone, I wasn't brought up Amish but I met my late husband and found out he was Pennsylvania Dutch and his mom made the most delicious food. One of my favorites was chicken-corn soup and fried potatoes in bacon grease-ummmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it, Never had peanut butter pie but the best pecan pie ever!

message 15: by Gail (new)

Gail (widowretiredyahoocom) | 83 comments I am actually adding to my own message because I started reading this book and the mention of shoofly pie was in it - well my mother-in-law made the best and also shoofly cake as well!
The book is great so far, just started reading it yesterday!

message 16: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments OMG, I made some Chocolate Mint Bars that was a recipe listed on Beth Wiseman's blog. They were such a hit! Here's the link to the recipe:

http://blog.bethwiseman.net/2010/12/1...

message 17: by Gail (new)

Gail (widowretiredyahoocom) | 83 comments Thanks Diane, I just may have to try them!

message 18: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alwaysforgive) | 16 comments Kristy (DreamingByDay) wrote: "Where I was raised, the Amish-made pies were amazing! The best I've ever tasted..They use the freshest, purest ingredients.

I've had my eye on the Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook..looks lik..."

you don't by chance know what book it was do you Kristy

message 19: by Rachel (last edited Aug 18, 2011 12:00PM) (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Right, I need some recipe help from my colonial cousins. Being British, I'm getting confused by some ingredients in the recipes at the back of Beth Wiseman's books. Can anyone explain what the following items are? LOL. If not, I have a friend from PA who lives here now that I could phone, but it would be totally random to get a call asking to explain what a brand of cheese is :P

* Quick oats (are these just normal porridge oats, or something else?)
* Liquid smoke (used in a meatloaf sauce recipe, no idea what this is!)
* Canned creamed corn (we can buy cans of sweetcorn, but I think creamed corn is different?)
* Marshmallow creme (can I just melt some marshmallows, or is this different?)
* White American cheese (is mild cheddar cheese similar to this, or not?)
* Bisquick
* Velveeta cheese

Also, we don't use powdered garlic here, I always use garlic cloves, so all the measurements for garlic powder are confusing me!

message 20: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments Bisquick is a pre-made pancake mix: http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/...

Velveeta Cheese is a kind of fake cheese (at least it tastes fake to me). It's not a cheese you have to refrigerate like other cheeses, you can buy it near the pre-packaged Macaroni & Cheese in American grocery stores. It's like a block of cheese, kind of like you can buy a stick of margarine. Weird stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velveeta

Marshmallow creme is also known as Marshmallow fluff. I think it's different than Marshmallows because I cannot (as a vegetarian) eat Marshmallows (they contain gelatin) but I can eat fluff. It's like spreadable marshmallow flavored sticky white goo stuff. It comes in a jar like peanut butter might. A common thing here is Marshmallow and peanut butter sandwiches (though I haven't tried them). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshmal...

Hopefully that helps! I have NO clue what liquid smoke is though...

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Rachel wrote: "Right, I need some recipe help from my colonial cousins. Being British, I'm getting confused by some ingredients in the recipes at the back of Beth Wiseman's books. Can anyone explain what the foll..."

quick oats I found this... Quick oats are more processed than old-fashioned oats, so they cook up a bit quicker and are mushier in texture. (Instant oats take this one step further, require no cooking, and also have the texture of glue.)

Liquid smoke Liquid smoke is a concentrated seasoning used to give meat a smoky or woody taste.

Canned creamed corn The corn kernels are not whole. Here's a recipe to make your own.

• 1 (10 -16 ounce) package frozen corn, cooked
• water, for cooking corn
• 3 tablespoons butter (44.37 ml)
• 3 tablespoons flour (44.37 ml)
• 2 cups milk (473.18 ml)
• 2 -3 tablespoons sugar (29.58-44.37 ml)
• salt and pepper (optional)

Directions:
1. Cook corn according to package directions; I use the microwave.
2. Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour and blend well.
3. Add milk, about 1/2 cup at a time, and blend with whisk.
4. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
5. Stir in sugar, salt and pepper.
6. Add cooked, drained corn.
7. Hint: sometimes use part milk, part cream.

White American cheese -- according to wikipedia, it's referred to as "plastic cheese" or "burger cheese" in the UK

I hope these help.

message 22: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alwaysforgive) | 16 comments Quick oats are more processed than old-fashioned oats, so they cook up a bit quicker and are mushier in texture. (Instant oats take this one step further, require no cooking, and also have the texture of glue.)

Liquid smoke adds smoky barbecue flavor to non-barbecued food. It’s not just a clever name: It’s made from water that has captured the flavor of smoke.

Canned creamed corn is a soup or sauce made by melting butter and adding flour, milk, canned corn, and optionally some spices. It is a common part of Midwestern American cuisine, typically sold canned.

marshmallow cream is a type of sweet confection which is extremely popular in some regions of the United States; outside the US, it can sometimes be hard to find. It is made from the same ingredients which are used to make marshmallows, except that they are whipped to turn the confection into a creamy spread, rather than puffed into marshmallows. There are an assortment of uses for marshmallow creme

American cheese is a processed cheese. It is orange, yellow, or white in color and mild in flavor, with a medium-firm consistency, and melts easily. American cheese was originally only white, but is usually now modified to yellow. It has been made from a blend of cheeses, most often Colby and Cheddar.

Bisquick is a pre-mixed baking product sold by General Mills under their Betty Crocker brand, consisting of flour, shortening, salt, and baking powder

I'm not sure how to explain Velveeta cheese but its kinda like cheddar cheese only it has a lighter taste

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

this is a useful site for converting US-UK recipes.

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/conversio...

message 24: by Camille (new)

Camille (camlovesraptors) | 802 comments I channeled my Pennsylvanian Dutch side last night and made my first pie all by myself from scratch! I posted about it as well as the recipe on my blog:

http://camilleelise4.blogspot.com/201...

message 25: by Barbara (new)

Camille wrote: "I channeled my Pennsylvanian Dutch side last night and made my first pie all by myself from scratch! I posted about it as well as the recipe on my blog:

http://camilleelise4.blogspot.com/201......"

Good for you!!

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (misscalico) | 128 comments When my family and I visited the Mennonite Information Center up in PA, I bought a marvelous cookbook titled The Best of Amish Cooking by Phyllis Pellman Good. What a great cookbook! It has everything from pumpkin whoopie pies to hickory nut candy to scrapple... and lots of articles written by Old Order Amish women in between!

message 27: by Amber (new)

Amber (bakerswife10) I cannot remember where I downloaded this free Amish Recipe Cookbook. I'd be happy to email it to you. It's in Adobe and ready to print.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (booklineandsinker) | 4 comments reading these post are making me hungery....lol