The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories discussion

Gothic fairy tales

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MB (What she read) (last edited Mar 05, 2011 03:24PM) (new) - added it

MB (What she read) You might like Kelly Link, although they're not Gothic per se. They're certainly dark.

Joan Aiken's short stories, some of Neil Gaiman, some of the anthologies by Seon Lewis and Gogo Manley? Isak Dineson had some dark fairy-tale-like short stories.

Another excellent source for fairy tale retellings is http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/

If you want more suggestions, let me know.

Simon You might want to try Forests of the Night by Tanith Lee which features some stories that are in this vein (and most of them are generally very good).

Also, for a novel that incorporates retellings of various fairy tales, try Beauty by Sheri S. Tepper.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I heartily recommend Carol Ann Duffy's The World's Wife: Poems

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I recommend author:Edgar Allan Poe|5756] whilst it's not quite re-telling per-say, it's certainly gothic and in the style of fairytales.

Diane Reed Has anyone else seen the film "In the Company of Wolves" based on Angela Carter's short story in this collection about Little Red Riding Hood? I just bought it and I'm trying to decide if it's brilliant or a total mess (?). Angela Carter wrote the screenplay for it, and it was filmed in the early 1980s.

tout Diane wrote: "Has anyone else seen the film "In the Company of Wolves" based on Angela Carter's short story in this collection about Little Red Riding Hood? I just bought it and I'm trying to decide if it's bril..."

Yes, I really liked the film. I had actually read 'The Bloody Chamber & Other Stories' years ago and was re-inspired to investigate these stories and others by Angela Carter because of it. I'm more of the opinion that it is brilliant, if one allows oneself to accept the campy world it comes from. The 80s and the kind of camera tricks, set design pre-CGI are a whole different world of magic.