Dancers for Life! discussion

Help For Beggining Ballerina

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valerie3) | 10 comments Hi, So I have a quick question about ballet. I am a trained Jazz Dancer, and that is basically all I do-but I really want to do Ballet so I can one day be on point. I know I am too old to ever become a pro ballerina, but I do theatre and a lot of the roles I am type cast as require point. So my question is: what can a person on their own that will strengthen there feet so they can one day do point? I know that I have to go through soft shoe ballet first, and I will start classes, but I just want to know what I can do so I can start to strengthen my feet and make them more prepared for point.

message 2: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) be prepared to do countless routines at the barre. Do everything possible on releve. good luck (i know that wasn't a lot of info, sorry)

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (valerie3) | 10 comments Thank You so much!

message 4: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) No problem!

message 5: by Morgen (new)

Morgen | 178 comments i think you have to take 5 years of ballet before you can go on point, but im not sure. i dont do ballet. but those years should help

message 6: by ♥-ℜachel -♥ (last edited Nov 09, 2010 02:01PM) (new)

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments well its not exactly 5 years. it depends on the studio you go to. plus, judging from your comment, i am predicting your an adult, therefor since ur foot is finished developing and growing, there is a chance that you could go on point faster than someone whos still growing.

but 5 years is a good guidline. it's just not accuritee in every studio. =]

message 7: by Morgen (new)

Morgen | 178 comments haha im acctually 14 i just dont know much about ballet. my friend is 10 though and on point. at my dance studio its 5 years.

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments i'm almostt 14 =] loll but i was saying that Valerie was probably an adult XD loll =]

and woee! thatss soo good! ur friend must be amazing at ballet if she's already on point!! =O i'm not on it yet, but i'm a little behind.. soo hopefully next year i'll be able to!

message 9: by Morgen (new)

Morgen | 178 comments OH haha ok i get it now :P
shes pretty good my dance teacher just loves her. her feet are gonna be so screwed up though i feel bad.

message 10: by Morgen (new)

Morgen | 178 comments good luck getting on pointe!!!

message 11: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) You guys are so lucky! At my dance school you have to be invited in and be at least a junior in high school, (which I'm not). I've been taking ballet since I was three and am still not on pointe (yet)

message 12: by Morgen (new)

Morgen | 178 comments aww thats sad! we are actually not that lucky because we could be screwed for life if we go on pointe when our feet are still growing... thats probly why she wants you to be a junior.

message 13: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) I think my feet have stopped growing. Or at least I hope. They're size 11. Do they even make pointe shoes that big?

message 14: by Morgen (new)

Morgen | 178 comments they must :) my friend is a size 11. :P

message 15: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) yes! Someone else who has big feet! (I thought I was the only one)

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments hehee i am only a size 3!! (in regular shoes). and ur right, her feet will be ruined, but not tht bad. her toes might be a bit crooked (like it would if she had arthritis in her toes) but ths about it. i mean, she'll probably always be ablee to walk normaly. andd Elizbeth, keep working at it!! you'll deffinitly be on point the earliest you can be

at my dance school you just ahve to be recomended, there is no age limit. a lot of my friends in dance are 10 and they're on point already, and i'm almost 14 and i'm not yet.. soo it all depends on wheree u are XD loll

sorry ^^ tht was a lot to read =]

message 17: by Morgen (new)

Morgen | 178 comments haha no problem its not too big :P
my friend is a size 3 too and shes 14

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments loll i'm 14 in less thann 1 week XD hahaa myy friendss alwayss teasee myy small feet XD (in an awesome wayy)

message 19: by Morgen (new)

Morgen | 178 comments oooohh happy early bday!!!!

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments thxx xologrrl!

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments loll thanks amber =D

andd uhm.. i feel the need to sayy happy bdayy too u guyss too

soo happyy reallyy reallyy reallyy earlyy too u guyss i guess sincee idk ur bdays!! XD unless it's a late bday. in tht case, happy belatedd bdayy =]

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments well happyy EXTREMELYYYY reallyy realyyy earlyy bdayy too uu =] ;)

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 28, 2010 07:18AM) (new)

Valerie wrote: "Hi, So I have a quick question about ballet. I am a trained Jazz Dancer, and that is basically all I do-but I really want to do Ballet so I can one day be on point. I know I am too old to ever beco..."

Do barre everyday! But make sure a ballet teacher tells you that you can get pointe shoes. I'm getting mine like tomarrow and I've been taking ballet for 6 years. My ballet teacher finally said I can. So keep on working hard! You'll be on pointe in no time!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Xologrrl wrote: "i think you have to take 5 years of ballet before you can go on point, but im not sure. i dont do ballet. but those years should help"

5 years atleast. I'm going into my 6 year and I'm getting pointe shoes, but my friends that have been in ballet a little longer don't have pointe shoes. So I guess it depends on how strong your feet are legs are so that you don't hurt yourself.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "I think my feet have stopped growing. Or at least I hope. They're size 11. Do they even make pointe shoes that big?"

They make pointe shoes in all sizes!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "You guys are so lucky! At my dance school you have to be invited in and be at least a junior in high school, (which I'm not). I've been taking ballet since I was three and am still not on pointe (yet)"

I fell bad. I'm turning 11 in three days and my ballet teacher said that I'm ready for point. So i guess my ballet studio there is no age limit, you just have to be ready for pointe with stronge feet. My feet are huge (totally off topic) they are a size 8 1/2 but I think they are still growing! I'm only in 5th grade!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry, I put fell instead of feel

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments hahaa i'mma like the onlyy one with small feet here!! XD

message 29: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) You're so lucky!!! I don't know if I'll even be able to go on pointe anymore. I tripped on a canoe back in September(looong story)and I still have a bruised knee. Does anyone know it that's normal? But anyway, You're feet aren't that big, my sister is the same age and she's size ten. This is a strange question, but I'm just curious. How many pirouette's can you do?

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments awww =[ ii think thats normall to have a bruised knee.. ii mean idk the whole storyy but from wht i know it seems fine.

yahh myy sister is in 5th grade and she's size 4 (same as me, in 8th grade now. XD) hahaa

about pirouettes - i have this longg storyy about this studio i went too that didn't teach turns or leaps, justt how to feel while dancing and stuff, soo i'm pretty far behind. =[ ii can only doo 3 on right, 2 on left DX but now i'm at a better place soo i'm learning fast! =]

message 31: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) oh ok, I'm working on four on right and 3 on left, so you're not that far behind seeing we're the same age

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments really? XD that makes mee feel better =] thanks XD

but those are onday-ore pirrouettes (sorry ii cant spell XD) onday-don pirrouettes are really hard for mee for some reason. i can only do one on both sides.

message 33: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) same here, and for some reason, I can't do arabesque turns very well, only a single.

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments SAMEE!!

the easiest are shanays and piqu-es

the turnss that you travel on are easy for me XD

message 35: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) I know! Turns are my strongest point. I like jumps too, my favorite being tour-jetes and a chaut de chat (not sure how to spell)

message 36: by ♥-ℜachel -♥ (last edited Dec 28, 2010 03:33PM) (new)

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments hahaa ii luvv tour jetes =D

doo uu mean so-de-shas? (idk spelling eitherr but i'm not sure wht ur trying to say?)

i like Cots and see-sonts and stuff like tht =] for jumps XD loll

message 37: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) me too, and a few classes ago I got to dress in normal everyday clothes for ballet class (sociology project for school) and it is super hard to land triple pirouettes in converse, but I managed a few.

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments hahaa thats soo cool!! XD last class we got to dress in street clothes too because it was the last class before winter break so she let us wear them for our ballet party =] but ballet onlyy - tap, jaz, lyricall we had to dress in leotards still XD

but yahh i never tried in converse XD hahaa

message 39: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) cool! you should try it in converse, it's really fun and the reactions were priceless

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments hahaa =]] were uu the only one in ur class in street clothes?

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Guess what!!! my birthday is tomorrow!!!!!!
I'm going to be 11... how old are you guys? i'm getting my first pointe shoes today! so excited!
i'll tell you guys how i like them!

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments =D happyy earllyy bdayy Graceeeee =D

i'mm 14 XD

conratss on the pointes!

message 43: by Paige (new)

Paige (thewordshakermockingjay) ஜ♥-®achel -♥ஜ*6*NUTJOB?uu know it. OmElEt wrote: "hahaa =]] were uu the only one in ur class in street clothes?"
My friend was wearing street clothes too.

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments ohh thts cool!! XD

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm 11 today!!!!! I know that i'm getting UGG Slippers! because me and my mom went shopping yesterday and i got them with her!!

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments =] happy bdayy♥

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

thx

message 48: by Annie (new)

Annie (lovetodance) | 28 comments Grace wrote: "I'm 11 today!!!!! I know that i'm getting UGG Slippers! because me and my mom went shopping yesterday and i got them with her!!"

Happy late birthday!

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

i sewed my pointe shoes yesterday!!! im so excited to wear them, even though my feet are going to start to hurt, i have ankle and knee problems but don't tell my teacher!!!

♥-ℜachel -♥ (-lotsoflove-) | 107 comments uhmm, well if ur suree ur well enough too pointe, have funn!

« previous 1