What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Childrens Picture Puzzle books- Jungle,Underwater, Egyptian etc

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John | 1 comments I recently half-remembered something from when I was little and I want to see if they still exist but I am not entirely sure what they are.

I think they were a bit like choose your own adventure but done mainly using pictures instead.

They were reasonably big (a bit more than a4) but it was done entirely using double page spreads and had big complicated pictures (a bit like "Where's Wally/Waldo") and I think there were lines going all over the page and they were dotted like this: --------------------------------------------
and maybe you could choose which one, and on some you would die by being eaten by something or falling in a hole and things like that but I'm not sure. Some would tell you to go to another page and start from a certain point but again I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure there were no children in it and they didn't really have puzzles other than just choosing and following different lines, maybe finding things?

I think I had an underwater themed one, a jungle themed one and an Egyptian one but I'm not sure.

I have asked my brother and this is what he remembers:

One involved finding temples.

The Egyptian/Desert one began with choosing a camel, several of which spat?

The underwater one begins with a choice of where to start from and you move on from there, and each went somewhere different. One possible journey may have had a conger eel in it. You may have had to go up for air at some point on one journey.

Anyway was this a specific type of childrens book or were they just one-offs that I won't be able to find out about unless I remember the name of them? I read them in the early 90s in the UK, I have searched the net and the best I could come up with is Usborne books but they look a bit younger, more cartoony than I remember, unless there are out of print ones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) could it be the same book that is being looked for in this query: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
John, are you still looking for these books?

message 4: by Justine (new)

Justine Larkin (wruine) | 26 comments Are they the Choose your own adventure series? If you put "Choose your own adventure" into amazon they all come up and you can have a look inside them to see. They are mainly text but do have illustrations.

message 5: by Laina (new)

Laina (lshockley) | 191 comments Wow, that book sounds like a lot of fun! I agree with Cheryl that it seems inquiries pop up for similar books to yours on a regular (albeit occasional) basis. The last time this group solved a similar inquiry it was this book:

Usborne the Great World Search
and
The Great World Tour by the same author.

I haven't read them, but I marked them as to-read based on the last inquiry.

(I will cross-post under the other threads Cheryl linked.)

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Tx Laina and Justine - too bad John is awol....