The Classics discussion

The Name of the Rose > First Impressions

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by theduckthief (new)

theduckthief | 269 comments Mod
Have you ever read Eco before? What do you think of the story so far?

message 2: by theduckthief (new)

theduckthief | 269 comments Mod
Eco is most definitely an academic. The foreword was full of works I'd never heard of though I liked the idea that the story was one he'd found.

message 3: by Everyman (new)

Everyman I read this when it first came out, but don't remember enough to make intelligent comments, and don't think it's one of the books, of which there are many, that I'm interested in re-reading. I do remember being less than overwhelmed by the story, though I do recollect liking the setting.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex I read this over the summer, so I'll stop by and peek in on the conversation here and there.

As a word of encouragement to y'all who are just starting it, Eco says - I think in his afterword - that he purposefully made the first 100 pages harder to read. I can't remember why, exactly.

I didn't end up liking it terribly much, I have to say.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Agreed, Catherine. Eco knows his history. Dan Brown doesn't know anything.

message 6: by Betty (last edited Oct 25, 2010 07:26AM) (new)

Betty (olderthan18) I also read The Name of the Rose: Including Postscript, along with The Key to The Name of the Rose: Including Translations of All Non-English Passages, last summer. The edition of Eco's novel already containing the Postscript is more convenient than looking for Postscript to the Name of the Rose. The Key by Adele J. Haft is helpful to identify the many historical characters, to translate the Latin passages, and to make the story more accessible.