Manga Book Club discussion

Questions > Movie Night!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (last edited Oct 16, 2010 08:54PM) (new)

Starbubbles | 871 comments Mod
I decided to go on ahead and make a movie night! Obviously you don't have to watch it on the date of the event. I also haven't decided yet if there should be "discussions" on the movies we watch. Since I picked the first movie, I need some help with picking the next movie. So I have some questions for you guys! I'd love to hear what you guys think!

Should we do more movies?
What kinds of movies should we watch? Should it be limited to anime?
Should we include series as well?
Would you like to discuss the films as well?
Should we watch only movies based off of books?
Would you like to read the books as well? And do you want to have it featured with the movie we're watching that month?

message 2: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Wow! I have a ton of questions for you guys! Lots to decide

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Liiiikkkkeeeeeee, anime-based movies? Or movie-movie?

message 4: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

i wan't sure which way to go. we are a managa group, so anime would go hand-in-hand. but i would not be opposed to seeing something not anime related. it's just a grey area since our scope is essentially manga, so i didn't want to muddy up that theme

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 45 comments I liked the anime idea but getting people involved to make it a group thing could be tricky.

message 6: by Marissa_san121 (new)

Marissa_san121 | 50 comments I advise we do real life versions of some animes, like Death Note or Wolf and Cub. We could also have things like Miyosaki and others like him.

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 45 comments I like watching the live-actions but its really hard to find online and I think it would be harder to find online. And lots of libraries don't have them it seems. Just me-but it seems better to pick things that are free online or common, easy access. The Miyazaki movies would be great though. Most libraries have several of them.

message 8: by Marissa_san121 (new)

Marissa_san121 | 50 comments Totally. I have almost all of them with the exception of Ponyo and The Cat's Return. Porco Rosso was enjoyable. If you haven't seen it, see it now!!!

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 45 comments My Neighbor Totoro, and Porco Rosso I haven't fully seen (only parts) but the others I have seen and I own most of them myself.

message 10: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

access is always an issue, and ghibli films are easier to get because they partnered with disney. let's face it, disney is a giant and seems to control much

message 11: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 45 comments Very true...

message 12: by Marissa_san121 (new)

Marissa_san121 | 50 comments Disney controls ESPN and Marvel... I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WAS EVEN POSSIBLE!!!!

message 13: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

i didn't know about espn and marvel, but they have owned abc for at least a decade.

i think nick is nbc, or is it the other way around?

message 14: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 45 comments Marissa_san121 wrote: "Disney controls ESPN and Marvel... I DIDN'T KNOW THAT WAS EVEN POSSIBLE!!!!"

Disney is starting to control a little too much...

message 15: by Marissa_san121 (new)

Marissa_san121 | 50 comments ...It's weird... At the Super bowl, when ever it's on ESPN, they play disney commercials ALL THE TIME!!! IT'S CREEPY!!!...Wouldn't it be weird if they played a ghibli film on Sports Center?

message 16: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

that would be hilarious! then they can comment on all the action that goes on. haha

message 17: by Marissa_san121 (new)

Marissa_san121 | 50 comments OMG YES. XD
Terry: Well it looks like Chihero has a choice of deep left and mid center.
Jim: That's right Terry. If she doesn't get this right, no one's going home happy.
Terry: SHE DOESN'T CHOOSE!!!
Jim: Chihero has won her freedom from Yubaba. It's the end folks. I'm Jim Madden.
Terry: And I'm Terry Harison. We'll see you next week when we play Howl's Moving Castle. Good night folks.

message 18: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

that was awesome! if only that were to happen in real life

message 19: by Marissa_san121 (new)

Marissa_san121 | 50 comments I know that would be great.