Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Themes > Humorous Classic Supernatural Fiction/Horror

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 1347 comments Mod
I'm reading The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde, and I love the humor. Can you recommend any classic stories that are from a humorous standpoint?

message 2: by Larry (last edited Oct 16, 2010 08:00AM) (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 95 comments Ive heard that Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman by Charlotte Perkins Gilman is humourous

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Thanks, Larry!

message 4: by Cathy (last edited Oct 18, 2010 11:44AM) (new)

Cathy | 164 comments Saki! Saki! Saki! He is EXACTLY what you're looking for. The Peace of Mowlsle Barton, Laura, Tobermory, The Open Window, and tons more. Not all of his stories are supernatural, and a few aren't really humorous (Sredni Vashtar plays it pretty straight as a horror story) but tons of them are.

A Christmas Carol is both funny and spooky (and touching, of course).

There's a whole collection by Seon Manley and Gogo Lewis, with a splendid Gorey cover, of funny ghost stories called Fun Phantoms. It includes Canterville Ghost and some others.

If you can find it, there's a collection of funny academic ghost stories by Robertson Davies -- the one I remember best is when a professor is haunted by a ghost who died ABD and wants to take final orals on every subject, because he's been studying since he died.

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Thanks for the list, Cathy! I do happen to have a Saki collection and the Robertson Davies too! I love A Christmas Carol. I read it for the firest time last year, and I plan to do a reread this Christmas.

message 6: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 133 comments Well, there's "'Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad" by M.R. James and "Herbet West: Reanimator" by H.P. Lovecraft.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Simon, do you have a link to Herbert West online?

message 8: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 95 comments Herbert West is the best piece of Lovecraft I've read-you won't find it online tho I don't think. I wouldn class it as humorous tho

message 9: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 133 comments Read Herbert West - Reanimator by H.P. Lovecraft online.

You don't look hard enough Larry! ;)

I thought it was humourous although not in the same barmy way that the movie adaptation was. Although I think the story is quite effective as a horror story, I don't feel that Lovecraft took it very seriously and I think there's a black humour that shows through.

message 10: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 95 comments Simon, you found Lovecraft online? I've only found one piece of his on PG, The Shunned House. Read it?

message 11: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) | 133 comments I think you can read just about everything of his online: http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/t...

And yes, I've read "The Shunned House" and it is very good; one of my favourites. An interesting, alternative take on vampires.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

Thanks, Simon.

message 13: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 95 comments Talking of the Shunned House, and having finally finished Castle of Otranto, I shall read of that house next! In fact I begin it already, with a documentation of events containing that great wordsmith E A Poe!

message 14: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 333 comments Not exactly "horror", but you may want to check out John Collier and Roald Dahl's non-kid's stories for (blackly) humorous tales...

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

You're all probably sick of my saying this, I'm sure. But I have those on the list to read, Shawn. :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Cathy wrote: "Saki! Saki! Saki! He is EXACTLY what you're looking for. The Peace of Mowlsle Barton, Laura, Tobermory, The Open Window, and tons more. Not all of his stories are supernatural, and a few aren't rea..."

OH! I love The Open Window! Best thing I ever read.

message 17: by Philip (new)

Philip Hemplow | 21 comments Cathy wrote: "If you can find it, there's a collection of funny academic ghost stories by Robertson Davies -- the one I remember best is when a professor is haunted by a ghost who died ABD and wants to take final orals on every subject, because he's been studying since he died."

I have this and also recommend it. It was a tradition at the college he founded in Toronto that every Christmas he'd write a (sometimes) topical ghost story and read it aloud after the Xmas party. They're all collected together in one slim volume. I think my favourite was `The Ugly Spectre Of Sexism'.

Also n'thing the Saki recommendations. You should also enjoy The Ingoldsby Legends if you like Victorian stories, they're great fun.

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael | 35 comments The Inexperienced Ghost by H.G. Wells should fit the bill :-)

The Inexperienced Ghost/The Temptation of Harringay

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Jamesian Enthusiast (new)

I think I've read The Inexperienced Ghost. That was a pleasant and funny story that I remember. Thanks for the heads up.