Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Mystery and Suspense > Dark Knight (specifically!)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by K (new)

K I saw Dark Knight at an advanced screening night, and was suitably impressed.

I thought Heath Ledger was great, and as a fellow Australian, I am really hoping he wins an Oscar.

I did think they crammed too much into the film - too many characters, plot, action sequences. This meant that nothing was really done as well as it could have been.

Some really interesting ideas and concepts though.

Any thoughts?

message 2: by Tera Marie (new)

Tera Marie I will be seeing the film in about 4.5 hours. I will definitely weigh in tomorrow.

message 3: by Tera Marie (new)

Tera Marie Just got home...3:19am. Dark Knight was a spectacular movie. Heath Ledger's performance surpassed my expectations. His characterization of Joker was amazing and believably captured the essence of a true madman. It poses the question of how much a character can affect an actor's psyche. Christian Bale plays the part of Batman to perfection once again. The special effects and Batman's toys are as awesome as remembered. The movie toys with your emotions some while trying to define the human character. It is a bit too long, but overall a recommended film.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 51 comments I've got my tickets for the IMAX showing tomorrow night. I just saw that they're playing it all night long at some theaters... it's crazy!

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) Heath Ledger was amazing. Christian Bale was amazing as well. All in all I thought it was fantastic. I didn't really like the ending though. . . it was kind of half-assed & lame. But still. 5/5 stars.

message 6: by Jules (new)

Jules (juliemetz) | 1 comments I completely agree that the movie was spectacular, and I think the ending was well suited. Without giving too much away, I don't think it would have been right to go anywhere else with it. It most definately should not have been tied up with a pretty bow....not with how much Chris Nolan is capable of. Hopefully there will be more and they won't become mundane.

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie This movie was so good. And I loved how in the IMAX you actually got to see footage filmed for IMAX. It was great! Heath Ledger's performance was excellent. He played someone who is truly evil so well. This is a movie I will definitely see twice in the theater.

message 8: by Karin (new)

Karin | 51 comments We saw it last night and we all loved it.. I have serious eye issues, so for most of the second half I was having trouble keeping my eyes on the screen (those who have seen it will know what I mean) I didn't feel like it was too long and I LOVED the bike!
I just think it's kind of cheesey when they have to replace an actress from the first movie... I actually liked Katie Holmes and I like Maggie... I just don't like that they had to play it off like they were the same.

message 9: by Kayli 500 (new)

Kayli 500 I want to see that. It looks good.

message 10: by Ray (new)

Ray | 55 comments This movie is the best I've ever seen. I have seen classics and this one is a true classic in every sense of the word. It keeps you guessing, and when you think that the Joker has done something, its something else. Heath is so memorable, I am still shocked he is gone. I will see the film again this week. I am not even a huge Batman fan. I think this film was more than a comic film but something of a thriller/crime saga. It was unexpected, it was intense, it was action, it was packed with GREAT performances from everyone. To write a story as Nolan did here is just remarkable, he is the person who put this story on film. He also made the reboot of Batman and has turned around the way we see comic films I think. Chicago looked beautiful. Even when Ledger is not on screen, the film is memorable. GO SEE IT AGAIN, AND AGAIN!!!!

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather (ldypngn) I got a matinee yesterday and was floored. I didn't really enjoy Batman Begins, but The Dark Knight was more than I expected.

Long before Heath Ledger passed away, I was anticipating seeing his portrayal of The Joker. I can't imagine anyone being dissappointed in his acting in this film. I believe the Oscar buzz is genuine and not because of his death. He set the bar high if they choose to recast for a future sequel.

I know there was some mention from other sources about the length, but I honestly can't imagine that the movie would have been as good edited down any more. There are still some questions that could have been answered. I would have definitely sat there for another hour and watched.

message 12: by Tera Marie (new)

Tera Marie Maybe I wouldn't have felt it was so long if I hadn't of gone to the 12:01am showing and had to wait an extra half hour, after we had watched all the previews, for a broken projector.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 8 comments A modern day masterpiece. It seems cliche to say this, but I simply do not have any other words to describe it. It has replaced numerous films as my #1 favourite film of all time.

To me, it was THAT good.

message 14: by Tom (last edited Jul 21, 2008 12:19PM) (new)

Tom | 5440 comments Heath Ledger was terrific. The rest of the film was not up to his standard. The storytelling is clumsy, the story just lurches along, never more awkwardly than during that completely expendable detour to Hong Kong. Yeah, there's some cool stuff, the tension gets ratcheted up pretty high, but it all kind of falls apart at the end.

The acting is all too often subpar, especially Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine's paycheck performances. The less said about Christian Bale's completely lifeless zombiework the better. Only Ledger, Gary Oldman and Aaron Eckhart managed to rise above the hackneyed material. Ledger's little speeches about chaos were delivered with far more skill than Caine's pathetic lectures about What Batman Means.

I'll skip the next Batman flick. There are way too many good movies to see to bother with this stuff any more.

message 15: by Angie (new)

Angie Tom I am surprised at how much you seem to have Hated the film. It sounds like you didn't enjoy it at all. I disagree about Freeman and Caine's roles, I just think they are support characters which is why their acting probably didn't seem like all that. I totally agree with you about Ledger's performance and it is sad that he is gone. After watching him act in this it makes me wonder what other great performances he might have brought to the screen had he not passed.

By the way, did anyone see it in IMAX? I am curious what others thought about the actual IMAX footage that was placed throughout the movie.

message 16: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5440 comments I didn't Hate the film, I just didn't like it very much. I didn't like the first one at all, and wouldn't have bothered with this one if Ledger's performance hadn't jumped out at me in the clips I saw before the film was released.

So Freeman and Caine were supporting characters, that doesn't excuse how lame their performances were. People have done a lot more with roles a lot smaller than these.

All in all, a pretty useless movie, except for Ledger. I've pretty much outgrown all this comic book nonsense anyway. It's called growing up.

message 17: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 53 comments I haven't seen this yet, I plan to go on Friday and can't wait.

message 18: by Steve (last edited Jul 22, 2008 09:47AM) (new)

Steve | 957 comments Oi, if that's called growing up, then I wonder what it says about me if I love Bunuel, Truffaut, selected Godard, Hitchcock, Fellini, Kusturica, and Wong Kar-Wai, among other masters, but also have a great time at the first two Spider-Man films (the third fell very flat), the first two X-Men films (the third fell very flat), and Iron Man.

I guess that makes me confused!

message 19: by Angie (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:35AM) (new)

Angie Maybe I am not grown up, but I really enjoy comics and comic book movies to this day. I am really looking forward to the Movie Watchmen which is a graphic novel. I also feel like I enjoy grown up movies as well so maybe I am confused also. Maybe people take comic book movies too serious than what they are... FUN.

message 20: by Tom (last edited Jul 22, 2008 12:55PM) (new)

Tom | 5440 comments Point taken, a silly and snobbish thing to say on my part. The really bizarre overpraise this flick has gotten got to me for a minute.

Steve, that's cool that you can appreciate the masters you mention and enjoy Spiderman. For the record, I enjoyed the first SPIDERMAN and was bored senseless by SPIDERMAN 2: THE PETER PARKER PITY PARTY, and didn't bother with the third one. Life's too short to waste on crappy flicks in general and on crappy comic book flicks in particular.

Fun? THE DARK KNIGHT was fun? Maybe when the Joker was onscreen, but to me the most unfortunate thing about Nolan's pair of Batman flicks was the total lack of anything even remotely resembling fun. Total gloomy humorless sturm and drang, there is Auschwitz footage with more fun.

message 21: by Angie (last edited Jul 22, 2008 01:06PM) (new)

Angie Well I meant fun in general for comic books. Fun as in a way to escape from the world and see a story you read on page turn into a motion picture. Fun was probably the wrong word for the Dark Knight, but honestly I still had fun at theater watching it. :) I also recently saw Hellboy 2 which is also a comic and had fun. But you are right Dark Knight was a little dark for it to be fun (I swear I had a smile on my face the whole time though)!

But I do find it interesting to hear a point of view from someone who did not like the movie. That is why I like to watch things twice. Sometimes I find myself caught up in the hype of a movie, I love it and then watch it again and wonder what I liked in the first place. This happened to me with the movie Orange County. I still wonder about that one.

message 22: by Steve (last edited Jul 22, 2008 01:46PM) (new)

Steve | 957 comments Aye, I took your post with a grain of salt. My point was simply that I go for quality movies, regardless of genre, and quality comic-book movies are, for me, the apex of escapism. I like to watch them between Criterion Collection discs, haha.

(Full disclosure...I grew up reading comic books, and still do read some on occasion, though mostly "indie" books, such as those published by Fantagraphics and Drawn & Quarterly, so there's a chance that I am more forgiving to comic-book-based movies than the average serious moviegoer.)

But, agreed that the poor comic-book-based movies of recent years -- Catwoman (hoo boy), Daredevil, Elektra, etc -- don't do any favors to either art form.

FWIW, I was lukewarm on Batman Begins. I'm seeing Dark Knight tonight.

message 23: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Well, the Dark Knight is clearly Ledger's movie. He's absolutely riveting throughout. So much so that the movie does tend to lag whenever he's not on screen. The script and direction don't seem to have considered Christian Bale's role as Batman all that interesting this time around. It's not all that developed, and Bale spending the bulk of his time in costume is very contained and deadpan. Personally, I liked both Caine and Freeman. They brought credible professional performances to the movie, but they aren't the show, and they don't attempt to steal their scenes. Actually, the only performance I really disliked was Maggie. She didn't bring anything of interest to her part and I don't find her presence physically interesting enough to make up for the mediocre acting. Still, all in all, I'd say this is the best comic book movie in a comic book summer. I'll be shocked if Ledger isn't nominated for the oscar next year, and he may very well, and deservedly, win.

message 24: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments Ledger is the showcase, but I think Gary Oldman is really great in the Commissioner Gordon role.

message 25: by Alison (new)

Alison (alisonlm7) | 9 comments I think Morgan Freeman had great comedic timing in the film, and I didn't see anything bad about Michael Caine's performance. Christian Bale is great, the best Bruce Wayne by miles. I've seen it three times, and it gets better each time. The first time was midnight IMAX, which was mind-blowing, and a great audience as well. I have not had this much fun at the movies in a long, long time. I love every second of the movie. It make me sad about Heath all over again, thinking about what could've been. When he says that he and Batman could do this forever in the movie, it makes me sad. I have so many favorite parts, too many to list.

message 26: by Alison (new)

Alison (alisonlm7) | 9 comments And I agree about Gary Oldman. He's great in it, and one of the top actors we have today.

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel loved it, loved it, loved it. definitely want to see it again. the only criticism i have is that we don't see bruce wayne enough out of his batman get-up. i need more christian bale on that screen! ;)

message 28: by Erica (new)

Erica Poole | 19 comments I saw this last night. I have to say that I was impressed. I didn't see Batman Begins, so I have no comparison to that, and honestly, I wouldn't compare it to the earlier Batman incarnations, they were just so completely different. I was one of the kids in those 'around the city block twice' lines in NY when the first Batman movie came out, and I enjoyed that one, but don't feel the need to compare, they were just so entirely different.

Ledger's performance was amazing, I have to wonder how I would have seen it if he was still around, but I expect quite the same, although his death certainly did add a 'creep factor' to it for me. I am not a huge Bale fan, perse, but found him ok, question though, what was with the voice when in costume? Was this something covered in Batman Begins (as mentioned, I haven't seen it). I guess it makes sense that he would disguise his voice so noone would recognize it, but it seemed a bit corny to me. That was my only comment/complaint about this one.

I was honestly quite disturbed by much of the movie, in a way that I expect was planned, due to the grittiness, the despair, the gore (two-face, nuff said) and the like. It was a scary movie and that says a lot because I usually don't get scared by these comic book movies, my suspension of disbelief capabilities are not THAT good, but this time around it worked.

message 29: by Tom (last edited Jul 25, 2008 06:36AM) (new)

Tom | 5440 comments I really disliked the Two-Face concept. There's just no way anyone could be walking around with that. There's suspension of disbelief, and all, but that was just too much.

SPOILER

And to have him survive that car crash, oh please.

message 30: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kbcc1) | 10 comments I just wanted to weigh in my opinion as someone who didn't grow up reading comic books and who loved the first one; The Dark Knight was by far one of my favorite movies. It had the comic book quality in the characters but also had a good vs. evil quality that you can find in films that are not comic book. Also, I am looking forward to the Watchman as well. I saw the preview on the internet before seeing it in the theater so I knew what was coming but seeing it on the big screen did it justice, just like seeing The Dark Knight in the theater. I will see the film again because I felt I missed so much the first time around. As for it being too long, I could have watched it for another hour! For the ending, though, how in the world are they going to get around the Joker? Who would want to play that part after Ledger?

message 31: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kbcc1) | 10 comments Oh, and also, Christian Bale was by far a better Bruce Wayne than Batman, but that is just my opinion.

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy | 58 comments Hey Tom - and this goes for everyone - could we be careful with the spoilers please? Like, could you put a big
SPOILER
sign before you reveal something like Two-Face surviving a car crash? Some of us haven't seen the movie yet, but are planning on going (and I personally would like to not know every single plot point).

Thanks.

and PS Tom - Two-Face is one of Batman's big enemies from way back - if you're going to grouse about that, you might as well grouse about Gotham City or Albert. I got the message a while back - you liked Ledger's performance. Finito.

message 33: by George (last edited Jul 24, 2008 02:40PM) (new)

George | 951 comments Ah, A BIG SPOILER sign, ok....., SPOILER Actually, I thought the scenes with Two-Face disttracted more than they added. Too many plots, if you like. Of course, Two Face isn't likely to be a big Batman enemy in this series. At least it was an improvement over Tommy Lee Jones. As for Ledger, no one will play the part after Ledger, It won't be allowed, it wouldn't be accepted. There would be rioting in the streets. So, obviously, they won't get around the Joker, they'll have to move on to other villians. By the way, I liked Oldman in this quite a bit as well.

message 34: by Tom (last edited Jul 25, 2008 06:48AM) (new)

Tom | 5440 comments Amy, sorry about the spoiler, I added a spoiler note to the post.

And PS Amy, yes, I am aware that Two-Face is one of Batman's big enemies from way back. I was not grousing about Harvey Dent/Two-Face, which was actually one of the better parts of the film. I was grousing about the really disgusting depiction of his injuries, that it just seemed frankly impossible for anyone to survive with that type of an injury.

And PPS, Amy, do you mean Alfred rather than Albert? Surely you know that Alfred is Bruce Wayne's butler from way back. Or is there an Albert from way back too?

message 35: by Alison (new)

Alison (alisonlm7) | 9 comments How realistic does a Batman movie have to be? I mean, come on. Two-Face would die in a car wreck that he caused? That would be absolutely lame.

message 36: by Sharla (new)

Sharla (sharlashangeling) | 6 comments I loved it! It was so much fun. I love the villains in the batman series. They are fraught with such complexity - as defines human nature and there is so much symbolism entrenched in their silly-comic book motifs and moves. I think comic books and superheroes have an amazing capacity to tease out the archetypes and dilemas that humanity faces, and while I love cerebal fiction that makes you think, I do not think this genre can be ignored because it has such creative potential like the ancient myths of old.

I think Batman in particular has so much to say about how masculinity is perceived in our society.

message 37: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5440 comments Sharla, what exactly does Batman have to say about how masculinity is perceived in our society?

message 38: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5440 comments SPOILER ALERT, if you care about that kind of thing:

Lame is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. Did the car crash that Dent caused have to be so spectacular? It was just one big car flip too many for me. Was I really supposed to believe that Harvey Dent, with those appalling wounds, was going to walk away from that crash?
At least we saw the Joker being disoriented after walking away from one of his big crashes, that great little scene where he falls down.

And the movie is aiming for a weird sort of extreme realism, otherwise why show TwoFace's disfigurement in such revolting detail?

message 39: by Ed (new)

Ed | 219 comments Mod
I loved the movie. The film didn't really give much time to Dent's transformation into two-face but otherwise what a great film. I can't wait for them to film eventually Frank Miller's the Dark Knight Returns.

message 40: by Sharla (new)

Sharla (sharlashangeling) | 6 comments Oooh Looks like I’m getting in hot water. I just think that idea about how men are supposed to be heroes – the protector, brave and the fighter – but how it has a price to pay… how the same “noble” qualities we ascribe to men – the violence that Western Society ascribes as the positive protector also has a shadow side.

And there is Bruce, the consummate bachelor who holds up all the superficial things Western Society proposes as status symbols of men- wealth and women for instance but he is really searching for something more…. Something deeper and nobler…

But then he has the price to pay because society will let the male figure act as the protector but only allow him to play this masked role.

Batman ends up wearing multiple masks.

Plus the action sequences were cool. : )

message 41: by Tom (last edited Jul 29, 2008 08:30AM) (new)

Tom | 5440 comments Sharla, no hot water, truly. You made an interesting statement, and I just wanted some detail. Thanks for replying.

message 42: by Annette (new)

Annette I guess I'm the oddball here. I was disapointed in this movie. After all the hype I expected much better. The movie first of all was TOO blessed LONG, AND secondly where was my hot to die for super hero?? and his oh so hot lady love???
(although my teenage sons begged to defer on that one) batman's voice grated on my last nerve --what did he have throat problems?
Heath Ledger was great although too scary for the younger set I think.
lots of action but still
overall the movie was a b- and Heath Ledger pulled them up to that.
I'd pick an X-men movie anyday and isn't there one in the making!!!!

message 43: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Interesting insight Sharla.I enjoyed the movie and I seldom do when it comes to the comic book hero brought to the screen.I must admit, IMHO that the movies are improving.

message 44: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 53 comments I went to watch this last night and OMG, it was brilliant. I loved every second of it and was surprised to see Eric Roberts in there as an Italian Mob leader.

Not sure what was going on with Batmans voice, like anyone would recognise him anyway, I mean all superman does is take his glasses off and no one recognises him lol

Heath Leadger was brilliant and the praise he has received for this part are well deserved. Aaron Eckhart(sp) as Harvey Dent was brilliant though how he survived was beyond me. well worth the price of a cinema ticket and i will be purchasing the DVD once it is releashed.

message 45: by Tressa (last edited Aug 08, 2008 06:42PM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) About spoiler alerts...I never nose around in a thread unless I've already seen the movie or read the book. And I would hope that others do the same as well. So I hope I don't ruin anyone's future enjoyment of the movie by anything I write.

I'll just make my comment and get the heck out of here because it seems like this movie won over so many of you. And that's just great.

But I thought that while it was a good summer action movie, it was a real disappointment for me. The movie was all over the place, and after the sixth hostage situation, I was bored to tears. I'm not into graphic novels or comic books, but I have enjoyed the Spiderman movies and truly loved Iron Man. IMO Iron Man was far superior.

Christian Bale was great, and I enjoyed watching Michael Caine (love him!) and Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman. My husband didn't even know it was Oldman until after the movie was over. I even enjoyed watching Anthony Michael Hall and that actor who got shot in the bank pop up on the screen.

But I don't like Maggie Gylenhaal and don't think she's a very good actress. She really detracted from the flow of the story. There's no inflection when she says her lines with her flat, monotone voice. What were they thinking? She is awful.

You may commence to ripping me to shreds.

message 46: by Teri (new)

Teri Tracey | 26 comments Can't say I hated it. Just didn't like it much.I thought he got through all that moral dilemma crap in the last movie. When it came time to do the right thing - kill the evil villan, he couldn't do it. Who's the insane one? All the acting was very good, although Bale's Batman voice was annoying - take a Sucrets already! Had some issues with Two Face's makeup but won't spoil it too much. Shoudl have waited for it to come out on video. Will do on the next one.
The original Batman with Michael Keaton remains my favorite!

message 47: by Alison (new)

Alison (alisonlm7) | 9 comments Hard to compare an origins movie (Iron Man) to a second movie (TDK), but I think TDK is smarter than Iron Man. Iron Man was fun, but I would've been bored without the perfect casting of RDJ. I'm not as into Iron Man as I am Batman. Michael Keaton is like a nerdy dad to me. I thought so even as a kid. I have no idea why people liked him so much in the role. I also looove Maggie's voice, and you can't say she's a bad actress if you haven't seen her in other movies. She's great IMO.

message 48: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Alison, I have seen her in other movies and still think she's awful. I wanted to listen to a favorite book on tape--The Bell Jar--and gave it a try even though Gylenhaal was reading it. She was so terrible I pulled it out of my player and returned it to the library. She doesn't even try to act, just keeps up with that same bored, smart-aleck voice of hers. Maybe her brother can give her some pointers. I don't know how she made it as far as she did in this industry.

message 49: by Alison (new)

Alison (alisonlm7) | 9 comments Oh well. I personally love her work and her speaking voice, Secretary being one of my favorite movies. A vast improvement over Katie, of course, and her character is an improvement over Mary Jane Watson, Pepper Potts, Betty Ross, etc. An unpopular opinion, I know. Now I'm going to look for that audiobook, haha.

message 50: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments I saw The Dark Knight last night and I was simply blown away. It must be my new favorite movie, a modern masterpiece. (And I'm pretty damn picky about movies.) It wasn't too long, I was totally transfixed throughout. I'd seen the Batman Begins on dvd the day before, and this played so wonderfully after it, just darkening the tone. I loved Christian Bale's Batman, he was sheer perfection in the role. (Besides, a guy who's been a vegetarian since he was six years old, who owns three shelter cats... what's not to adore!! But that I found out only after the movie, when I checked his bio. Also, he's exactly two months older than me. LOL I sound like a fan girl but the movie was that spectacular!!)

I agree that Ledger's performance was wonderful, a great legacy for him. But it was all around fabulous cast, I also thought Gary Oldman was amazing... he'd become his role, looking exactly like Gordon in the graphic novel. And he was so compassionate.

Anyhow, I think the film captured Batman and Joker being two sides of the same coin (the one the White Knight tosses) brilliantly... they're both outsiders, both freaks, only one's for good and the other for bad, one for darkness and the other light. Or the two faces of the same creature. Christian Bale is shown very little without the Batman mask (which is what the Joker wears all the time too), much less than in Batman Begins. And when he is without the Batman mask, his back is often turned.

Still, he had great presence, and I found his Batman voice truly chilling as well, in a good way. Bale really captures the humanity of Batman well, after all, the dark knight has no super powers. In this film, he never killed, and that's how it should be. The ending was darkly romatic, loved that too. Can't see how it could have ended in another way.

Really loved the movie, and can't wait for the dvd!! :)

« previous 1