Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

143 views
Extras! > Book characters you just wanna Smack!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 141 (141 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Wendy F (last edited Oct 16, 2010 06:07AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Following along with our 'Infatuated' thread and the 'who do you want meet' thread, I figured we need one for those we absolutely can't stand.

Here is the start of my list..

Bella - Twilight For all the reasons I state in my lower post.
Astrid - Lies (Gone series) She progressively got bitchier and bitchier, thinking she was always right and Lording over Sam.
Justin - North & South (John Jakes civil war trilogy) For all his racist and sexist abuse.
Harley Boble - Breath of Snow & Ashes In Outlander most of the characters have something we can see as redeeming, but not Harley Boble he was pure evil.
Gale - Mockingjay (only in the last one) For anyone who's read the last book, they'll know. I'm a Peeta fan.
Arlene - All of the Sookie Books She's a narrow minded bitch who treats everyone like crap.

I'm editing this and putting my reasons in. I figured that since others are I should say why.


message 2: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments There seems to be too many here at times, I agree with Wendy on Bella! Roul from The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux and Christine. I read Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks I really do not like self distructive people. Annie's Baby The Diary of Anonymous, A Pregnant Teenager by Beatrice Sparks I really had a problem with Annie!


Peep (Pop! Pop!) Hey I've got a whole bookshelf dedicated to them! Though I settled for a punch in lieu of a smack.


message 4: by Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (last edited Oct 15, 2010 08:54AM) (new)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Yelena in Fire Study comes to mind immediately.

Elena in Vampire Diaries although she has moments of being bearable (book, not series)


message 5: by Lani (new)

Lani (crahfty) | 253 comments I agree with Bella, specifically when she lets her world fall apart over a boy.

Ever from Evermore. First of all the name drives me nuts, and the lack of intelligent decision making leads me to want to cause her harm.

Pretty much all the chicks in Pretty Little Liars books one and two.

Dierdre from Ballad: A Gathering of Faerie. I liked her alright in Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception but she treated James like crap in Ballad, and she needed to get slapped.


Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments Not going to argue the Bella thing, but who hasn't let their world fall apart over a boy...or a man. Women in love are not usually rational. If they are a teen, even less so.

I'll agree with Dierdre in Ballad.


message 7: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments I didn't understand how Bella couldn't handle marriage because of the commiment but wanted to be turned into a vampire!


Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments I've never understood why I married a loser when I was 19 simply because I thought I was romantically in love, not just with him but with what he was (the cowboy thing). Does anyone understand love and what motivates people? I kind of have thought that is part of what Bella's story is about. The irrational decisions of a teen in love which sometimes actually can turn out good and often bring heartbreak. A friend of mine told me she did not like the story because Bella made all the wrong decisions. My response was that if she had made all the right decisions, there would not be a story. Let's see, she could have married Mike, had 2.5 children and lived happily ever after....


message 9: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Kind of makes sense I just still dont' fully get her freak out about it


Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 374 comments That's what is irrational about it. LOL No one gets it except her. But it isn't all that unusual even when the guy is a mere human.


message 11: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I was not trying to start a debate about Twilight in here, and actually neither of those wre my reasons to want to smack her.

I felt that Bella was selfish. She wanted to be with Edward, but she wanted Jacob to continue loving her and her her 'best friend' even though it was causing him pain. She asked Edward to sit with her during the battle and leave his family to their fate instead of helping them and possibly saving some of their lives because it made herself feel better. She insisted on becoming a Vampire even though Edward thought taht she was giving up her soul and being damned forever and that thought hurt him. In my mind she only truly cared for herself and her own wants. She didn't even care about what her 'death' would do to her parents.


message 12: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Anyone read the The Luxe (Luxe, #1) by Anna Godbersen series, I read this series when I was having friend issues, but I felt like this triggered more I hate people.


message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Those i can think of atm are

Jacob - Twilight saga (damn he really went on my nerves)
Ulrik - Glass series ("abit" to possesive jealous and manipulative?)


message 14: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (shyluck13) | 124 comments I agree with Ottillie and Terry. Elena sickens me, and I hated Penelope.
Others that haven't been mentioned:
Lissa from Vampire Academy for some reason. I just...I don't know. Hate her.
Fire from Fire. Eww.
Belly (what kind of name is that!?) from The Summer I Turned Pretty. Double eww.


message 15: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Yes! it just sickend me how people could be like that!!


Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Luce in Fallen. She wasn't so bad in Torment.


message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie S. Josi from Nineteen Minutes. She's so self-destructive, and she's way off-balance. At parties, she would steal percription medicine and take a pill or two home with her. She saved those up in a cup in her room because she wanted to have enough drugs to overdose for suicide.


message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Whoever the girl is in Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher who killed herself. Sorry. She was the reason I hated the entire book.


message 19: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments I agree with Bella along with the entire Twilight entourage, but I won't go there.

I may be slapped myself, but I really want to smack Gen, not from book one but after, but most especially in A Conspiracy of Kings. His manipulation of his friends after loving him in the first book totally pissed me off.

I can't remember her name, but Skeeter's friend from The Help who was the head of the society just had me twisted the wrong way from the start. I saw no redeeming qualities in her at all.

And last but certainly not least, the grandmother from Jacob Have I Loved makes me want to spit every time I read it. I understand old people getting sick and acting strange, but this lady is a bitter old sick hag.


message 20: by Traci (new)

Traci speaking of grandmothers.. I've got to throw in the grandma (and the mom!) from Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews . I read this book years ago. Waaaay before they republished it as a young adult book, and it's stuck with me since then.

Also, I don't know if this counts since it's a true story, but the mom from A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer deserves public torture.


message 21: by Tintin (new)

Tintin (marimorimo) | 40 comments I did not enjoy reading Luna largely because I detested the narrator, Regan. I thought she was a pathetic emo-kid wannabe. Seriously, get a grip *rolleyes*

Meg Murry from A Wrinkle in Time I don't hate as much, but it irritated me when she broke down into a whiny brat in the last third of the book.


Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Bluemoon wrote: "that girl from the Fever series, but just the first one. I don't know how she is in the other books..."

Mac was awful in book 1. She vastly improves as the series goes on.


message 23: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Lani wrote: "I agree with Bella, specifically when she lets her world fall apart over a boy.

Ever from Evermore. First of all the name drives me nuts, and the lack of intelligent decision mak..."


Agree with all of these … haha


message 24: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Heidi I wrote: "Whoever the girl is in Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher who killed herself. Sorry. She was the reason I hated the entire book."

Saaame. Well, I didn't hate the book. I liked it, at least the idea behind it. It was an intriguing story, but I don't think it reached its full potential––mostly because I didn't sympathize much with the girl who killed herself. She came off as whiney to me. If I'd actually had some more respect for her, it would have been a lot more powerful.


message 25: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I'm going to add Nora in Crescendo, she wasn't as bad in Hush Hush. In Crescendo she was ridiculous.


message 26: by Lani (new)

Lani (crahfty) | 253 comments Wendy wrote: "I'm going to add Nora in Crescendo, she wasn't as bad in Hush Hush. In Crescendo she was ridiculous."

Not what I want to hear. :( I have Crescendo sitting on my shelf TBR...


message 27: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Sorry... the book wasn't bad. I love Patch


message 28: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 135 comments Patch is awesome! :D


message 29: by Kristen (last edited Nov 28, 2010 03:34PM) (new)

Kristen  (yogamamareads) The father from I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President by Josh Lieb for treating his son like a doofus!


message 30: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka Why didn't I post here sooner ? The character I most certainly hate because of her uselessness and Mary-Suish characterization will always be Ginny from the HP series. 0:3


message 31: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I never saw her as a Mary-Sue... but now that you say that I can totally see it!


Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Cécilia wrote: "Why didn't I post here sooner ? The character I most certainly hate because of her uselessness and Mary-Suish characterization will always be Ginny from the HP series. 0:3"

Gasp!


message 33: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I like Ginny, A LOT! But I can see why someone would see her as Harry Potter's Mary-Sue character.


message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

When i think about it i think Quinn from the sookie stackhouse books really deserves a smack.
He just really gets on my nerves and is really a whimp when it comes to it


message 35: by Wendy F (last edited Nov 29, 2010 11:24AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Yeah, I was never really a big fan of his either. Never wanted to smack him, but I definitely thought he didn't compare to the other men in Sookie's life (with the exception of Bill, I hate Bill).

Oooh, add him to my list. I wanna smack Bill.


message 36: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka Wendy wrote: "I like Ginny, A LOT! But I can see why someone would see her as Harry Potter's Mary-Sue character."

Really, I could have forgiven Rowling for the most undevelopped pairing of her series if only she had made Ginny actually useful in the seventh book.


message 37: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I didn't think it was undeveloped. I think it was under the radar. Ginny had feelings for Harry all along, but it wasn't until book 6 that he stopped seeing her as a child. I actually thought that was sweet. She snuck up on him.


Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) I also liked how Harry protected her. She's a fighter but he wouldn't let her be involved. Still have to get to the theater to see HP7!

I'm reading Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4) by Richelle Mead right now and I really want to smack Lissa. I hope it passes because I love this series.


message 39: by Wendy F (last edited Nov 29, 2010 01:54PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I was going to say that too, Shannen. That she wasn't useless in the last book. Harry refused to let her help. He left her to make sure she wasn't involved.

BTW, it was AWESOME!


Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* (shannybananny71) Can't wait! It looks incredible!


message 41: by Kurukka (last edited Nov 29, 2010 04:34PM) (new)

Kurukka Wendy wrote: "I didn't think it was undeveloped. I think it was under the radar. Ginny had feelings for Harry all along, but it wasn't until book 6 that he stopped seeing her as a child. I actually thought th..."

To stop seeing a girl as a child is not enough to fall in love with her. There has been very few interactions between these two until the first kiss. And even then, I can't recall what they had to say to each other that was interesting. The fifth book portrayed her as a strong independant girl and when Harry tells her no to move a finger for him, she's like "yeah, okay, honey, i'll wait for you to come home so we can get married and have lots of mini harrys and ginnys"

Must be a personal opinion but if the guy I loved that much were to go on a suicide mission like this, I would certainly not accept to be left behind. He didn't stop Ron and Hermione from coming with him, however he has so much more with them than he ever had with Ginny.

Maybe that's a horrible thing to say but if I had to choose between my best friend and my crush (because really, it was nothing more than that) I'd rather protect my best friend. That's why I think the whole Ginny thing is just an excuse to give Harry what I'd call a security net. And I really talk too much but I wanted to explain myself :3


message 42: by Traci (new)

Traci I felt the same way Cecilia! I did not like their relationship at all. It seemed completely forced. Like a, "well, Harry's got to end up with somebody, right?"


message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (pearlady) | 14 comments hah! I love this thread, Wendy. I agree with you about both Bella and Gale. At times, when a character acts as such, I feel like tossing the book down in disgust as if to say "how could you?!". :D


message 44: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka Traci wrote: "I felt the same way Cecilia! I did not like their relationship at all. It seemed completely forced. Like a, "well, Harry's got to end up with somebody, right?""

Exactly. Anyway, I keep thinking Harry should have died. xP


message 45: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka And Bella is the most boring and selfish character I ever read about (can't believe I used to like her), so I smack her too (or, better, I throw a shovel in her face).


message 46: by Wendy F (last edited Nov 30, 2010 05:51AM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) HAHA, Cecilia, that's how I felt about Bella too! I liked her when I was reading them. But then on reflection (and especially after watching New Moon) I just completely flipped and now if she was in front of me... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be kind.

As far as Ginny, I can totally see your point. Unfortunately I just differ. I liked that in the end he looked back at her with love. In book 5 she was there fighting with Luna and Neville. And in book 6 she was with him still. And if I remember correctly (I could be wrong), she was angry he left her behind. She didn't want him to, but then Harry, Ron, and Hermione got seperated after the wedding. (The didn't really touch on this in the movie, Harry breaking up with Ginny and such...)

But like I said, I can totally see where you are coming from.


message 47: by Kurukka (last edited Nov 30, 2010 06:55AM) (new)

Kurukka True about book five. And I guess I can be more comprehensive since love stories isn't what matters the most in this series, JKR is more the action and plot type. I guess I'm also less tolerant about Ginny because I hate the actress haha, especially in the half-blood prince movie (I mean, COME ONE, she laces his shoes °O°).

Bella really got on my nerves in Breaking Dawn. She's the worst female character ever. She's dependant on a boy, she has no other goal in life rather than sex, baby and cocoonning. She's the housewife by excellence. She's always moanning, crying, thinking without actually doing something useful. Damn. I feel so sorry for our gender... @@

I thought Twilight was about sacrifice and making choices. But Bella is prisoner of her own desires, she has no other alternative. It's sad but Meyer made it look like it was okay. Sickening.


message 48: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I forgot that she did that, lmao!! I like Ginny and Harry, but if they hadn't happened I would have been okay. Unlike Ron and Hermione who I adored!

Breaking Dawn on a whole was a complete disaster for me. From the moment she had the baby I was disgusted. But yes, I agree with you about her being a terrible female character. But she wasn't useless, (insert sarcasm), remember how in the end Meyer gave her the magic ability to spread out her 'sheild' and protect EVERYONE, thereby deflecting the whole last battle! Gag me. Bella is the worst kind of Mary-Sue.

Okay, big sigh... I'm done... no more venting about Bella.


message 49: by Kurukka (new)

Kurukka LOL, yeah, when she realized that, I was like "it's done, no one's gonna die, Perfect Bella will save the day and return to her shack in the forest with Perfect Edward and their Perfect Mutant"

Yeah, we should stop bitching. Like, now.

Another character I'd like to see in Hell or something is Umbrage. She's already horrible in the book and the actress does a fantastic job portraying the kind of demon she is (and her office is just creepy D:).


message 50: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Oh yeah, that is a great one. She's the most evil villian of HP. I think she's worse then Voldemort, even.


« previous 1 3
back to top