Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > What's the big deal about gold?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2010/1...

The price of gold has been going through the roof lately, and we wanted to know why. You can't eat gold, or use it to fuel your car. Why do people pay so much for it?

And I love this line:

Gartman's bottom-line advice: "Don't try to make sense of gold."

Comments? Why do we care so much about this shiny metal we call gold?

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I've never figured it out, either. But every single radio talk show host seems to have a major advertiser selling the stuff. Even the ones that rail against Glenn Beck and his Gold Line support are taking gold money.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah, it should be no big deal. if you want to devalue gold in your life and try to break its grasp on you i will send you a pre-paid/addressed envelope to put in and pop it into the mailbox. this will free you from worrying about gold prices or the aura that surrounds it

message 4: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm reminded of the Twilight Zone episode where the guys steal a bunch of gold bullion, then go into hibernation in a cave in the desert for a long time. When they finally come out, they find have no water and die of thirst in the desert. Some people come by and find them. When they see the gold, they say something about how it used to be really valuable.

Anyone remember that one?

message 6: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Oct 15, 2010 07:16AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6031 comments I remember it, Larry. Great series, at least in its original run. Then they tried to update it for the 80's. Or was it the 90's? Either way, it fell just this side of memorable.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments That was a good one. I watched it again last year when the SciFi channel did a Twilight Zone marathon.

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) Jack London wrote a story about a guy who found gold, got rich, it messed up his life. He ended up broke, living happily on a ranch. He accidently discovered gold, looked at it, thought about it, re-buried it.

message 9: by Arminius (last edited Oct 18, 2010 01:38PM) (new)

Arminius It's the usual scare tactics just like Y2K and global warming. The premise is that the dollar will become worthless and gold will be the only thing valuable.

They continue to pipe this to us when Gold is at it's all-time high. The price of gold may go higher but it will definitely drop later.

Glenn Beck also promotes food insurance so when grocerie stores run out of food to sell, you will still be protected.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
I had to google that...it's not technically "insurance." It's a big backpack and dehydrated food. I would just love to know how many customers are buying this.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateharper) | 206 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I had to google that...it's not technically "insurance." It's a big backpack and dehydrated food. I would just love to know how many customers are buying this."

And if they think about how scarce water might be about then?

message 12: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
Right. It does contain a water purifying system, but no water. Good luck purifying that contaminated water!

message 13: by Arminius (new)

Arminius Kate wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "I had to google that...it's not technically "insurance." It's a big backpack and dehydrated food. I would just love to know how many customers are buying this."

And if they ..."

That sounds like a good scam money making idea just like food insurance.

message 14: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I don't care much about gold. It could easily be on "Things I Don't Care About" thread for me. I never think about it, am totally indifferent. I don't even like gold jewelry, I prefer silver, or platinum.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh well ... platinum.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I am prepared to swap all my silver for any gold that's being handed out. (oz for oz)