Writers and Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Writer Q & A (Archived) > Q and A with author Brenda Youngerman: Oct. 15th-17th

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.F. (last edited Oct 15, 2010 06:06AM) (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 1779 comments Mod
Please welcome to our Q and A forum writer Brenda Youngerman, author of the books Private Scars, Public Lies, Hidden Truths, Sorrowed Souls, and Restored Hope.

Brenda lives in southern California and she loves to walk on the beach with her dog and watch the pelicans! As a writer Ms. Youngerman tackles difficult subjects and social issues, writing "fiction with a purpose".

Her Website: http://brendayoungerman.com/

Her Goodreads Profile:
Brenda Youngerman

Her Books:

Private Scars by Brenda Youngerman

Public Lies by Brenda Youngerman

Hidden Truths by Brenda Youngerman

Sorrowed Souls by Brenda Youngerman

Restored Hope by Brenda Youngerman

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) Hello Brenda Youngerman! What advice you would give to aspiring authors? (Would you mind if I quote this for a blog post?)Thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,
Emma Michaels
http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

message 3: by A.F. (new)

I know you write about social issues in your books, and I was wondering how you decide which ones to write about? Do you choose ones that have a personal connection or is more an issue you incorporate from the news or something you've read about?

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Youngerman (byoungerman) | 13 comments A. F. wrote: "Please welcome to our Q and A forum writer Brenda Youngerman, author of the books Private Scars, Public Lies, Hidden Truths, Sorrowed Souls, and Restored Hope.

Brenda lives in southern Californi..."

Thank you A.F. for hosting this and I will answer every question in as timely a manner as humanly possible!

Thanks,
Brenda

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Youngerman (byoungerman) | 13 comments Emma wrote: "Hello Brenda Youngerman! What advice you would give to aspiring authors? (Would you mind if I quote this for a blog post?)Thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,
Emma Michaels..."

Hi Emma,

First I don't mind if you quote me on your blog post - that would be fine with me.
The advice I would give any aspiring author is first to do what they love and not do it if they are trying to get rich! Also, edit.edit.edit! There are all types of authors out there - some good, some bad, and everything in between - but there is only one spot at the top of the charts - - I think the most important thing to consider is WHY are you an author and keep that in mind as you write.

message 6: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Youngerman (byoungerman) | 13 comments A. F. wrote: "I know you write about social issues in your books, and I was wondering how you decide which ones to write about? Do you choose ones that have a personal connection or is more an issue you incorpo..."

A.F. This is a GREAT question! For the first couple of books (4) they were subjects I felt VERY passionate about - and I still do feel very passionate about - but I really don't want to be labeled - "The author that only writes about 'one issue' - and I have come to realize that as I write about one issue other issues come up. For Restored Hope I brought in teenage suicides and psychotic breakdowns and abandonment - all issues that people live through each and every day and no one really wants to deal with. BUT Restored Hope was a book that was not really on my plate to be written - it sort of fell in line between Sorrowed Souls and Disrupted Lives (the one I am currently writing). And like all my other work, became much bigger than I had anticipated.
Now - Disrupted Lives came from an email I received from a reader asking if I had ever considered doing a novel on children given up for adoption by unwed mothers at the end of the 60's when teenagers were sent away (in shame) to 'unwed' mothers' homes. That, of course started my mind in all sorts of directions about adoptive parents, adopted children, blended families, which took me down a historical path to the sixties and earlier.
So to answer your question - my issues going forward are either presented to me, or catch my eye. I foresee a novel in the future about human trafficking, and slavery in America.

message 7: by A.F. (new)

The subject matter of Distrupted Lives sounds interesting.

When you start your books, do you begin with writing the characters or the plotline?

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark | 16 comments How do you go about copywriting your books? Does the publisher do it for you?

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Youngerman (byoungerman) | 13 comments A. F. wrote: "The subject matter of Distrupted Lives sounds interesting.

When you start your books, do you begin with writing the characters or the plotline?"

A.F.,
I start with plotlines and build the characters around it, although I usually know (in my mind) what main characters will weave in and out of the plot.

message 10: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Youngerman (byoungerman) | 13 comments Mark wrote: "How do you go about copywriting your books? Does the publisher do it for you?"

Hi Mark,

I have actually applied for every single copyright myself through the United States Copyright office. Now it is a really easy process - it is done completely online. When I applied for the copyright for Private Scars I had to have the entire manuscript printed and sent - and taken to the post office. It was sent to Washington D.C.
If you would like more information on how to do that, let me know.
Brenda

message 11: by David (new)

David (davfin23) | 1 comments hi brenda,

do you remember the first time you wanted to write the material you write? was there a specific event that triggered it?

message 12: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Youngerman (byoungerman) | 13 comments David wrote: "hi brenda,

do you remember the first time you wanted to write the material you write? was there a specific event that triggered it?"

Hi David,

Honestly the first page of Private Scars kept showing up on every piece of paper in my house. I have no idea why or when it started. The rest of it just flowed. I'm not really sure there was one specific event. But I will tell you that the 'decision' to do this on a continuing basis came with the completion of Public Lies. From that point forward I knew that was what I really wanted to do.

Brenda

message 13: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 97 comments Hi Brenda,

I'm really late getting to this discussion--spent a week on other things, then a week trying to catch up. Thanks for the interview and answers. I'm curious about your copyrighting experience. Do you copyright an e-version of the books? And do you still have to send two print copies to the Library of Congress?

message 14: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Youngerman (byoungerman) | 13 comments Sheila wrote: "Hi Brenda,

I'm really late getting to this discussion--spent a week on other things, then a week trying to catch up. Thanks for the interview and answers. I'm curious about your copyrighting exper..."

Hi Sheila,

I had already copyrighted the print versions of my books, so no I did not go copyright the e-versions as well. The copyright is actually for the content. The only reason you need to send 2 print copies is if you are obtaining the copyright AFTER you have published the material. In my case I always apply for my copyright on or near the same date I send the final manuscript to my publisher.

message 15: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 97 comments So no print copies to copyright office or Library of Congress if you copyright before printing? I'd been struggling to fathom what the rules really meant, but that would certainly make life easier, and cheaper. Thank you so much for answering me.

message 16: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Youngerman (byoungerman) | 13 comments Sheila wrote: "So no print copies to copyright office or Library of Congress if you copyright before printing? I'd been struggling to fathom what the rules really meant, but that would certainly make life easier,..."

Sheila,
No print copies before PUBLISHING!
Brenda

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.