Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Functional Curiousity

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

After reading the "Thanks Goodreads" post a few below, I started wondering...

Do you guys have 'day jobs'? It seems like at least you (Otis) work on this a large portion of the time, so I would imagine not

Then that begs the question... are you self-supporting from a server/hosting standpoint from the minimal ads on the site? Do you have VC? Do you have some sort of sponsorship with some retailers / publishers? Or do you pay everything out of pocket from a magical fountain of money?

Just a little curious as to how everything works on the backend. We hear alot about new features, and see the site develop... and as far as the public knows, there's only two people on 'staff' at Goodreads... past that, we don't know anything.

Don't feel pressed to answer, maybe I'm asking too much here... or maybe I'm the only one who would care.

--Kyle

message 2: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Hi Kyle,

Happy to answer. I am the only full-time staffer, as my fiance (and cofounder) Elizabeth does have a day job. She is a journalist, english major, and true lit-nut, and keeps me from writing really geeky copy :)

There are also several people we employ on a contract basis to help with customer service, editorial, design, programming etc. We are privately funded, and also have two stellar advisers who are the previous CTO and CEO of Tickle.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. That was an odd question, but I was curious...

You're the only full time? That's dedication only a programmer can have! ;-)

--Kyle