Christian Support Group :) discussion

general > Christian Books

Comments (showing 1-50 of 94) (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon I thought it would be nice if we would list books (Christian)that we've read, and ones we look forward to reading.

I enjoy reading the Bible of course...
I've read...
The Applause of Heaven by Max Lucado
Blink by Ted Dekker
House by Frank Peretti/Ted Dekker

just for starters...

Kate (theshortone) (katetheshortone) Dragons In Our Midst by Bryan Davis
Oracles of Fire by Bryan Davis
The Door Within by Wayne Thomas Batson
The Mandie Series by ?

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 31 comments I love Atonement Child by Francine Rivers

message 4: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Cole (authorcccole) | 17 comments Well, this is going back some, but as a youngster I enjoyed "Pilgrim's Progress" and the sequel, I believe written by John Bunyan (a prisoner at the time). I don't know how 'politically correct it is to mention it, but I really enjoyed it as a child.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon C. wrote: "Well, this is going back some, but as a youngster I enjoyed "Pilgrim's Progress" and the sequel, I believe written by John Bunyan (a prisoner at the time). I don't know how 'politically correct it..."

I think Pilgrams
Progress has made it
Into a movie, if I'm
Not mistaken. Oh and
We've got the game.

message 6: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 31 comments what game

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Pilgram's Progress game

message 8: by abby (new)

abby (oncebef0re) | 182 comments C. wrote: "Well, this is going back some, but as a youngster I enjoyed "Pilgrim's Progress" and the sequel, I believe written by John Bunyan (a prisoner at the time). I don't know how 'politically correct it..."

Not politically correct? No problem! :D

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 31 comments how is PP not PC

message 10: by abby (new)

abby (oncebef0re) | 182 comments IDK?

message 11: by N.S.A.(Look for God's Truth) (last edited Oct 17, 2010 01:04PM) (new)

N.S.A.(Look for God's Truth) | 214 comments How about:

'The Oath', 'House', 'Monster', 'Hangman's Curs'. Ya, they are all Christan, but they are horror. They are from Frank Peretti.

I think I already told you guys but mind as well do it again.

message 12: by Sandy (last edited Oct 31, 2010 01:28PM) (new)

Sandy (SandyCrow) | 373 comments Mod
This series is *AWESOME* for teenage girls :)
Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl Caitlin, Book 1) by Melody Carlson It's My Life  by Melody Carlson Who I Am (Diary of a Teenage Girl Caitlin, Book 3) by Melody Carlson On My Own (Diary of a Teenage Girl Caitlin, Book 4) by Melody Carlson I Do! (Diary of a Teenage Girl Caitlin, Book 5)  by Melody Carlson

And I also liked The Scarlet Thread

message 13: by abby (new)

abby (oncebef0re) | 182 comments Ah, Melody Carlson again. I really have to check her books out. Somebody...can't remember who...I think her name starts with an S...keeps reminding me about her. Huh. ;-)

message 14: by Sandy (new)

HAHAHA yeah I kind of…scream her name…everywhere :D

message 15: by Kristen (last edited Jan 02, 2011 09:12PM) (new)

Kristen | 349 comments Sandy wrote: "This series is *AWESOME* for teenage girls :)

Loved those books, especially the Caitlyn and Kim series.
*Redeeming Love, A Lineage of Grace, and the Atonement Child by Francine Rivers.
*My Heart Remembers by Kim Vogel Sawyer
*The Lightkeeper's daughter by Coleen Coble (don't remember if this one was actually 'Christian' but it was in the Christian Fiction section)
*Hidden by Shelley Shepard Gray
*A Father's Promise by Donna Lynn Hess (really more a kid's book, but I still loved it)
*The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks
*Gianna:Aborted and lived to tell about it by Jessica Shaver Renshaw
*Solomon's Song by Roberta Kells Dorr

And many others I haven't gotten to yet :)

message 16: by Sharissa (new)

Sharissa Spangler | 33 comments Anything by C.S. Lewis!!!!

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 14, 2010 02:06PM) (new)

I'm reading "The Visitation" by Frank Peritti. I agree with you, he's a great author.
Tina

*Mrs. Brightside* I'm reading The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa but I think everyone should read.....well, I don't know /: but Tempted (House of Night, #6) by P.C. Cast was pretty darn good. Best out of the series, even though the ending is sad. I heard Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore is good, but I haven't read it yet. I was going to...but got the one in Spanish(; I still don't know how I did that..

*Mrs. Brightside* Oh crap. Ignore what I posted. I just realized that this is suppose to be about Christian books.

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments hehe lol! there is another thread for normal books.

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments Not to say that christian books aren't normal or anything......let me rephrase my sentence.

message 22: by Chiara ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ (last edited Nov 21, 2010 05:09AM) (new)

Chiara  ♪*CheesecakeLover*♪ | 684 comments hehe lol! there is another thread for other books.

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Ha ha :D

*Mrs. Brightside* Lol. Yeah, I know that...I forgot which one I was posting on :D

message 27: by Christina (new)

Christina | 91 comments The Christy Miller series
Left Behind series
Left Behind for kids series
Forbidden doors series #1
The Shack
many different Devo books

message 28: by βҽϲκαӏίη (new)

βҽϲκαӏίη (BeckerGurl) | 11 comments The fairytale novels by regina doman are very good. they are a great series for teenage and young adult girls. their fairy tales retold in a modern new york setting.

message 29: by Sandy (new)

Cool I'll check that out!

message 30: by βҽϲκαӏίη (new)

βҽϲκαӏίη (BeckerGurl) | 11 comments yeah ive read the first two...and i think my friend has the third one. there are...i want to say...4? 5?

Barbara or EndlesslySparkly | 94 comments ive read the Shack and 90 minutes in heaven both REALLY good books.
The Shack by William P. Young
90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper
i read 90 minutes in heaven and the next year one of my close friends passed away and the stuff the book described helped me know tat she was in better hands and a better place.

message 32: by Connor (new)

Connor (ConnorK) I liked Robinson Crusoe!

message 33: by Christina (last edited May 23, 2013 06:34AM) (new)

Christina | 91 comments 90 Minutes in Heaven
5 People you Meet in Heaven
Divine Dance*
Rachel's Tears*

message 34: by Christina (new)

Christina | 91 comments Sorry; just realized that I already commented on this!
Well anyways... these are all really good to read again too :)
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Lol I noticed that :D Btw your shelf is on private

message 36: by Sandy (new)

So the point of the book is that we should let people know now so they won't need to know then, right?

message 37: by Christina (new)

Christina | 91 comments Sandy wrote: "Lol I noticed that :D Btw your shelf is on private"

Thanks I didn't realize that my shelf was private too. I shall list some more then... ask/msg if you want more details/info :)
"What Child Is This? a Christmas Story "
"The Truth About Guys"
"Chicken Soup": Teenage soul, tough stuff, Christian teen, etc.
"Finding God in the Lord of the Rings"
Words to Live by : for teens (also have other versions I think)
"True Images" devo and Bible
A Walk to Remember
The Tattooed Rats: Renegade Spirit Series
Battlefield of the Mind: for teens (and regular version too) by JOYce MEYer
"Last Lecture"
"How to Smell Like God"
The Last Lecture
On Tour series by B.Huff
What Does God Want from Me?: Understanding God's Desire for Your Life by MarkMatlock(sp?)
Max Lucado is usually good too
Prayer of Jabez (book and in the Bible too :)

Also, *Lurlene MCdaniel (Time Capsule, I'll be seeing you, How do I Love thee is one of my FAVORITE Christian fiction... short, sweet, grab a box of tissues*

message 38: by Christina (new)

Christina | 91 comments True that... shine on my friends, don't ever give up the good fight for truth and Light

message 39: by Sandy (new)

Makes me think of this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXi709...

Barbara or EndlesslySparkly | 94 comments rit now im readin a book called Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations
its Really amazing on how much stuff these guys accomplished at a early age and it makes it easy to relate to them too and makes u wanna do the same.

message 41: by Sandy (new)

I've heard good stuff about that book!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

The Present Darkness
Piercing the Darkness both by Frank Peretti.

I wish he has stayed with the angel books rather than getting darker and more horror prone with his later books.

Barbara or EndlesslySparkly | 94 comments ive only read one of peretti's books and tat was The Oath ,ive seen his books in the library tat looked interesting sucj as Monster but i have a bookshelf in my house full of books needing to be read too :(

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't like his later works - The Oath, Hangman, etc. He went too deep into the hardcore supernatural - bordering on horror for me.

At least with the angels and demons given personas it maintained a even-handedness and didn't feel so creepy.

Barbara or EndlesslySparkly | 94 comments ya i heard his book house was full or horror especially by seeing the movie trailer too.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, to some, he's become the "Stephen King" of Christian thrillers.

message 47: by Nike (new)

Nike Chillemi | 122 comments I'm reading Steven James series with FBI agent Patrick Bowers. Luv it. Very gritty as it's about serial killers. I've finished The Pawn, The Rook, and the Knight. I'm going to read The Queen and finish the series.

Also, The Clouds Roll Away by Sibella Giorello.

Barbara or EndlesslySparkly | 94 comments Ted Dekker just recently came out with a interesting looking book called The Priests graveyard. The Priest's Graveyard by Ted Dekker

message 49: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (Nicole3562) | 4 comments There is a book out The Knights of the Dawn Kingthat is sort of a Tolkeinesque type story but challenges us in the area of loyalty to our true King of Kings, Jesus. I read it recently. I loved the story and was impressed with the blatant Christian theme...its basically a Christian allegory. So you get a great story and a great message all in one.:)

N.S.A.(Look for God's Truth) | 214 comments Barbara or EndlesslySparkly wrote: "Ted Dekker just recently came out with a interesting looking book called The Priests graveyard.The Priest's Graveyard by Ted Dekker"

that sounds like a good book. Right now I am reading "Red" from the Circle series

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Left Behind Series Gift Set (other topics)
Becoming Me (other topics)
It's My Life (other topics)
Who I Am (other topics)
On My Own (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tim LaHaye (other topics)
Grace Livingston Hill (other topics)
Bill Harvey (other topics)
Frank E. Peretti (other topics)
John Bunyan (other topics)
More...