Lord of the Rings Fans discussion

My fellow Tolkienites!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

K. M. R. (moisoha) | 728 comments Mod
I am asking for your assistance in a most grevious task. You see, I am in the process of writing a book, and I need to fully create my world. With you're help, I will be able to accomplish this.

Here's the basics that I have: I want to have about seven or eight countries in this world that are known to the inhabitants. So far, I have Fardhal, Boon, Oiepah, and Ana Luna. Any others would be helpful. I have the basic cultures for those countries, but not geography or a map of any kind really so that would be helpful. I also want there to be multiple unique races, no ideas on that except at least one of them be human, if not most humanoid. That's really all I have so it's pretty open. Help?

message 2: by Lindsay, aka...Dera the chatterbox (last edited Oct 14, 2010 05:49PM) (new)

Lindsay (a_rachelle) | 776 comments Mod
Sounds like quite the intriguing concept :D
As a fellow Tolkienite fantasy writer :), when it comes to races, I take creatures from myths and legends (i.e. fauns, centaurs) and put my own twist to things instead of what is commonly accepted. Or, personally, I like adding abilities (i.e. In my work, my fox-eared humanoid character can control and create fire)

Also, look at nature's elements & consider climates that might affect each race.

One of my favorite authors, Donita K Paul (in which I HIGHLY recommend her DragonKeeper Chronicles books for inspiration) has a brilliant talent of creating races (in her stories she has the 7 high races and the 7 low races).

Happy writing :D

message 3: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (last edited Oct 14, 2010 07:08PM) (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) | 861 comments Mod
If you wanted inspiration for a repulsive sort of evil race thingamajig, you might try researching caecilians. They live largely underground, though some subspecies are amphibious. Probably the most intriguing feature is their method of raising young. After the female caecilian gives birth to offspring (usually live, though about 25% of the species lay eggs), she grows a new layer of skin. This takes about three days, and once she's finished, her young set upon her and *gag* in a rather revolting feeding frenzy, eat the old layer of skin. This process continues until the baby caecilians are fully grown.

message 4: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

eww, thzt is completely foul
i love it. And thanks for the reccomendation.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate | 277 comments Mod
when making a map, i favor a LARGE piece of paper spread out on the floor and some markers...just draw..start with a crazy outline and then add geographically features..a forset here, mountains there..couple rives over here..maybe and ocean over there..then place your people on the map based on their struggles with one another and where their ppl flourish..i.e elves in forest dwarves in mountains etc etc...idk lol thats what i do.

message 6: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

Alrighty! I have some basics down! Thanks a lot guys! Maybe I'll share some of the cultures if you guys want, along with a map.

message 7: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

That would be awesome.

message 8: by Lindsay, aka...Dera the chatterbox (new)

Lindsay (a_rachelle) | 776 comments Mod
Shveet! :D

message 9: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 104 comments As far as world imagining ( I might be a bit late here) I go out and read all the stuff I can find on whatever I'm writing about and try to pick the most interesting set of facts about this certain creature and combine them to make a kind of difinitive legend.
I'm doing that with merpeople at the moment.

message 10: by Aurora (last edited Mar 13, 2011 07:13PM) (new)

Aurora (aurora_mandeville) | 9 comments I am in the middle of creating my own world as well (well, I'm closer to done than the middle :P). One thing I should mention, your world is going to change quite a bit until it fits (mine went through 3 transformations before I felt it was right). Do keep in mind that in geography, the land will never be a perfect shape so you can just start drawing whatever comes to your head.
Do you need help with country names? I am as bad as Tolkien (if not worse :D) when it comes to creating words. So you could either give me whatever words you would like to use for the country and I can think of something, or you could take one or more words from one or more languages and combine them to create a new word. Here are a couple of examples from my world; Gralery is the name of the Italy on my world and that is created from an Italian word, I just added a few more letters; Andenti is the name of the race of gods and goddesses and is actually created from three words from three different languages (Italian, Japanese & English, the three major languages of my world). I also have the Prodecti, something like godly changelings but they are my own creation (I love 'em so much!! :D). If you want to see more of what I've done go to my blog, the link is on my account page. Hope this has been of some help!!

message 11: by James (new)

James Vargo I have one of my maps on my blog. I studied a lot of geography before starting a map, stealing a little from here or there. (real world, not from other authors) I feel the more world-building you do to start is a good foundation, and then the history and story spring forth.
And then comes the writing....

message 12: by K. M. R., or Quirenas, the Cloudy One (With Lightning) (new)

Wow guys! Thanks a lot! I appreciate the help!

message 13: by Cece (new)

Cece Hey guys! I have an anouncement to make. There is a group called Roleplay Roleplay Roleplay ( http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/5... )and there is a Lord of the Rings section in it and so I am hoping some of you will join and participate. Thanks!

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (danceswithelves) I could not find ANYWHERE on here to post this! I know that is has NOTHING to do with LOTR, but I figured that it would be amazing enough that you all would not be mad at me for spreading this random piece of information.

http://llamafont.com/

MIND. BLOWN!! ^_^

message 15: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Eee so cute! HOW on EARTH did you find this? (And you're right, it has nothing to do with LOTR at all, unless you put in "One ring to rule them all, or something like that. :D)

message 16: by Cece (new)

Cece So cool!

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (danceswithelves) Quite by accident. I was cruising through www.omg-facts.com, and I found this quite by chance. :D

message 18: by Aurora (new)

Aurora (aurora_mandeville) | 9 comments O . . . M . . . G!!! That is so awesome!!! lol . . . love how the llamas do the letters.

There is a connection!! Have you ever heard of the Llama Song? There's a remake called the Frodo Song, both are on Youtube. ;)

message 19: by Ada, AKA Caladhiel of Eregion (new)

Aha! Knew there had to be some sort of connection SOMEWHERE. :)

message 20: by Aurora (new)

Aurora (aurora_mandeville) | 9 comments XD lol :P