Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Archived Threads > NBC's Undercovers w Boris Kodjoe

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 36 comments I was really excited when I saw they were going to do a spy show with a black couple on a major network. It looked kind of like Mr. and Mrs. Smith (after they reconciled).

I have watched the show, but I'm not surprised the ratings are low. It's just not very good. It would be hard for me to pinpoint what I don't like about it. I gues I don't like the couple. There's nothing really special about either of them other than their married to each other and their spies, but half of the cast are spies so... The supporting characters are much more interesting than the main two.

I also don't think Boris Kodjoe and the lady playinig his wife have much chemistry. Nothing about them makes me sizzle. I've only ever thought of Boris Kodjoe as being mildly attractive and while this show should send his hot meter through the roof, it's really not.

I've kept watching only to continue to support a show with prominent black characters, but I'm not dying to tune in and may not tune in for much longer. I can't even remember what night it comes on.

message 2: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 36 comments I think Gabrielle Union or Kerry Washington would have been great. Gabrielle Union is on of those I have a girl crush (i think I mentioned it before) nothing sexual really, I just really like to watch her, I think she's super cuter.

Morris Chestnut too would have been a better casting choice, but I think he's on V. Boris definately has a nice body, but for me I look for charisma, that thing that keep pulling me back to see more of him. If I just wanted to see a hot body I would just pull up pics, then I don't have to listen to them speak. (Yes, I think some men should just stand there and look good and not talk, mostly because when they talk they prove their stupidity, and I can't abide stupid people- ok sorry, that was my rant.)

message 3: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
I know it won't be on long, but I'm enjoying it while it's on. I wish Abrams would have pushed the envelope with this like he did with Alias (they could've been sort like a post married Syd and Vaughn kinda thing) but he's playing it very safe and light. Ah well. We'll see how things pan out.

message 4: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 36 comments @ Rae, I think you're right something a little edgier would have been nice. Covert Affairs (on USA) won't be back until next summer. Nikita (on CW) sucks. I had room for an edgy spy show. Something along the lines of Alias would have been fantastic.

@ Melissa, you may not be missing 21 Jump St for lone. I think their making a movie.

message 5: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6619 comments Mod
lol CeCe, I was wondering how Nikita was doing. I had a feeling it was going to suck. They should have left the original and maybe play the original one on CW or another station.

Maybe it's me and I don't catch NBC, when I did, I've noticed that a lot of their shows don't last. Maybe the creators need to get with USA or TNT, where shows tend to last, at least for a while.

message 6: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 36 comments Yeah, I watched the first episode of Nikita. I haven't tuned in since. We said the same thing you did- theyshould have just run the old Nikita. Oh, well.

NBC is having a hard finding successful shows outside of the Law & Order franchise. They are good at hyping a show up (look at Heroes) but lacks what it takes for the long haul. Unfortunately Undercovers doesn't seem destined to last long.

message 7: by Arch , Mod (new)

Heroes been cancelled, right? Or is it still on?

message 8: by new_user (new)

new_user I tried watching Nikita. Couldn't get into it.

message 9: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 36 comments I think Heroes was cancelled. I stopped watching a couple years ago when Claire went through this "Whoa, is me,I can regenerate and my wounds don't anymore" crap.

New_User- yeah. It just wasn't great. Did you watch the original show that was on USA in the 90's?

message 10: by Arch , Mod (new)

They need to stop remaking shows. I'm sure the new 90210 sucks too. Is it still on?

message 11: by new_user (new)

new_user Nope, CeCe. Did you like the 90s version?

message 12: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 36 comments Arch, yeah,I think 90210 is still on. I agree they need to stop remaking shows. I just think they've run out of orginal ideas. Maybe they should read more.

New_User, I loved the 90's version. In fact my sister has the whole series on DVD and we'll occasioally get together for a Nikita Marathon weekend at my Mothers.

message 13: by Arch , Mod (new)

If they new writers a chance, they can have new shows, instead of remakes.

What are they going to remake next?

message 14: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 36 comments I'm scared to find out.

message 15: by Arch , Mod (new)

lol, CeCe. I hope nothing else.

message 16: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

I'm still watching Nikita mainly because I'm a hardcore fan of the original movie and the show is apparently a continuation of that storyline. I'm not too keen on the writing very much (and that Alex chick bugs me to no end) but I'm seeing how it pans out. There are a few things I liked here and there (namely Devon Sawa - when did he become a babe?? And the ever wonderful Russell Wong) and the potential is there, at least for me. Not sure it'll ever become what it is since it's on the CW but, eh yeah. I'm curious to see how they tie things in from the events in the movie.

message 17: by Arch , Mod (new)

Rae, Nikita picks up where the movie left off? I've never seen the movie Nikita, but I have seen Point Of No Return and if I am not mistaken, it's the American version to Nikita.

I use to watch the TV show La Femme Nikita and I know the characters names were: Michael, Nikita and Birkoff, Walter, Madeline and Operations.

My baby Birkoff has gotten killed on La Femme Nikita (I didn't like that) and that's when Birkoff's twin, Jason took over.

I don't think that Nikita has anything on La Femme Nikita.

message 18: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

Yepper. I had to do a bit of digging because the marketing was so back and forth on it but some press releases and blurbs I found finally came out and said it was a continuation of the original Luc Besson movie. You are correct about Point of No Return, which is the American remake and the La Femme Nikita TV show is a Canadian remake of the original French movie.

From what I gathered from the names, they mixed a conglomerate of the famous/fan fave editions in order to grab the audiences. So we get:

Michael - (Canadian TV Show character because the same character was named Bob in the original French movie)

Nikita - (All versions although in the original movie she used Josephine as a cover name on missions)

Amanda - (Original french movie character changed to Madeline in the Canadian TV version)

Birkhoff - (Was not a character until the Canadian TV show)

So I think they were trying to get both camps together and/or create a continuation of the movie/remake of the original tv show and use both names to mesh it into one new show. Whew, no wonder it was confusing. This show could use a little bit more bite as well though. Luc Besson really started something edgy but this show really proves it's on the CW. :-/ I'll have to rewatch the Canadian version as I haven't seen that in ages (and I just recently re-watched the movie for the umpteenth time. :-))

message 19: by Arch , Mod (new)

I hope they don't remake Silk Stalking. That was one of my USA shows, back in the day.

message 20: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (cheriesg) | 36 comments Oh, I know. let's hope they stay away from that

message 21: by Arch , Mod (new)

Yes, CeCe.

message 22: by Arch , Mod (new)

I don't think they should be remaking shows. Make news shows.

The new generation could have had their own 90210, without having a remake. A show could have been on the same line of 90210, with another name. The same thing goes for Melrose Place.

I guess these people who wanted a remake thought the shows would be good, because they have casted some of the original actors/actresses. I guess they thought that the old fans of these shows would turn into the new show, because these actors/actresses are on the new version now.

I will speak for myself. I don't want to see a remake of black shows. They did good in their time, I don't want to see a good thing be butchered in this generation.

message 23: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

I know this is the Undercovers thread but since we were chatting Nikita, it looks like they may be changing it up. The suits want more 18-35 female demographic so they're lightening it up and making it 'female friendly' and less dark. Um, the original show is about a former druggie turned assassin. I don't think she'll be shoe shopping and chatting about boys. Oy. Sometimes I wonder about the suits.

I'll be checking out. I was hoping they'd go 'more' dark and I don't appreciate the fact they make it like us chicks don't like hardcore action/suspense and dark stories. Bring on the darkness! I guess it's not surprising considering what network it's on.

Through five episodes, Nikita is doing well for The CW.

But network sources tell Entertainment Weekly that changes are on the way because the Maggie Q-anchored series is losing too many females (specifically between the ages of 18-34) from its lead-in, The Vampire Diaries. The former loses 54 percent of the audience from the latter in that demographic each week.

Among these alterations? The introduction of several new characters, including a potential love interest for Nikita. This man will be CIA case officer described in a casting notice as: “Moms want to marry off their daughters to this kid."

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2010/10/sour...

When the changes start, it's back to the original movie and tv show reruns for me!

message 24: by Arch , Mod (new)

The TV people. Nielsen (sp?) don't know who is watching what. They guess. They don't know the race of the people nor their ages.

message 25: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (last edited Oct 25, 2010 12:37AM) (new)

Guess not. :-/

That should prove right there how outdated the Nielsen Ratings method is.