Axis Mundi X discussion

Respect for the Dead

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B. (new)

B. (briant) | 99 comments Hello Folks, Got an idea and I need your help. I have been to three family funerals this year and all had one thing in common... the ministers involved did not know the deceased and so merely read the obit and then gave a generic sermon. I wrote a piece for my niece (some of you read it) and I thought it would be a wonderful service to provide personalized sermons, speeches, poems, or what not for families who have lost a loved one who was not a regular church goer... this includes pagans, agnostics, atheists, etc. I and all of you have the literary talents to interview online or by phone family members and then write something beautiful and personal, but this requires a web page, etc., which I am woefully unable to do. Anyone interested in such an endeavor? I think it would be enlightening, uplifting, and probably financially lucrative. Please add your thoughts and let's see what happens.

message 2: by B. (new)

B. (briant) | 99 comments p.s. I gotta run for a bit but I'll be back later to check out your reactions. You are the most literate group of fun folk I know, so I am very hopeful someone will help.

message 3: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
That sounds really interesting B. I have written pieces for many relatives and friends who have died over the years. I was present at my grandmother's death bed a few years ago. It has been something that I have had some interest in at times, and sometimes think about working with hospice to provide comfort to the dying. Being with a dying person does not freak me out as it does some, I guess.

Tell me more about what you have in mind. I'll think about if I have something to contribute or know anyone who does.

message 4: by B. (new)

B. (briant) | 99 comments I thought that, in addition to a webpage with info, how to contact and request service, etc., that a way to market this idea to funeral home directors would be best. They are in touch with families first, they no if the situation is one for this type of service (ie. non-Christian, non-churchgoing, etc.) and they may be willing to recommend this to their clients, perhaps with some financial incentive. Not sure, still puzzling thru it. Thanks for your input. You are the best. Let me no if you have more thoughts.