Books on the Nightstand discussion

Book Specific Discussions > Literary Tattoos

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris | 180 comments My apologies in advance if this isn't the correct location to put this note on the site, but I just finished listening to a fascinating "On Point" episode on literary tattoos. Here is the link to that show's site, http://www.onpointradio.org/2010/10/l.... There is a book out with photographs of peoples' literary tattoos, from Wolff to Proust to Kafka to illustrations! While I find Tom Ashbrook annoying as all get out as a radio host, the content was fascinating! :-)

Thought all the bookies would in interested!
Chris

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Hi Chris,
At least one of our friends (Stephanie Anderson) is in that book! I saw a preview of it at Book Expo America this spring, but I'm eager to see the finished book. Thanks. If I had a tattoo, it would probably be a quote from The Little Prince.

What about the rest of you? Do you have literary tattoos? What would they be?

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Not strictly literary, but I'd get The Thing (Ben Grimm) from Fantastic Four if I ever got a tattoo. It would have to be a reproduction of a Jack Kirby drawing.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris | 180 comments I've been thinking of this since I've listened. I have no idea what I'd have, there are so many quotes I love and sometimes one touches me more than others at particular times in my life. So, I might possibly end up with tattoo remorse! But here is one I adore and makes me cry every time: "It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both." (From "Charlotte's Web.") There are also a few from "To Kill a Mockingbird" that I love too....but honestly, I don't know if there is anything I love so much that I would want it emblazoned on my body for the rest of my life. Printing them out and putting them on my computer works for me! :-)

message 5: by Lissy (new)

Lissy (lissyf) | 6 comments The Boston Phoenix did a cover story (http://thephoenix.com/boston/life/109...) on this in its most recent issue. This was the first issue of that paper I've picked up probably in 15 years, and I was thinking of BOTNS when I did it.

message 6: by Callie (new)

Callie (calliekl) | 646 comments I've thought about this many times. I like the idea of something from Dorian Gray, like, "All art is useless", or something along those lines. Or possibly a picture of an apple, half bright red in color and half in black and white, for The Giver. That would be interesting, and I'm not sure very many people would understand it.

message 7: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) I like the work of Anil Gupta especially his later biomechanicals.
I would love a literary tattoo like this one (probably with Shakespeare as the text) but I doubt I have the courage to get it done.

Joanne-in-Canada (inkling_jo) | 255 comments I think I would get "Nothing gold can stay." from the Robert Frost poem of the same name, introduced to me as a teenager by S.E. Hinton's "The Outsiders" (still one of my favourite books). To me, this phrase captures those peak experiences that end all too soon, but whose memories linger for life.

message 9: by Lynsay (new)

Lynsay Tervit (lynsaytea) | 18 comments I really like the Oscar Wilde quote 'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars'

Don't know if i would ever get it though, as it seems fairly long.. unless it was tiny writing it would take up a lot of space!!

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracy_r) | 4 comments I have a stack of turtles...Yertle the turtle style on my leg...and this is a stretch...but Pourtnoy and Milquetoast from Bloom County. The turtle one is not finished and I did get it on my 40th birthday.