Language & Grammar discussion

Word Games > VERY DIFFICULT Novel Mash-up game!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 338 (338 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments The rules of this game are simple. Think of two well-known novels that share a word in their titles. Then meld the two plots into a single thread and challenge all comers to deduce the combined title.

e.g.

Clue (melded plot summary): The courtroom becomes a circus when two famous lawyers take the case of Ratty, Mole, Badger and Toad.

Answer (Melded Title)
Inherit the Wind in the Willows.

First challenge:
King Arthur Merlin and Guinevere find an oversized gorilla and take him to New York where he's attacked by biplanes.

message 2: by Stephen (last edited Oct 13, 2010 10:02PM) (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments Hadn't thought of that, but NO. The Man who would be King isn't about the Camelot crew. Good try though. You're halfway there.

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments King Kong Arthur?

message 4: by Debbie, sardonic princess of cheerfulness (new)

Debbie (sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 6387 comments Mod
Arthur the King Kong?

message 5: by M (last edited Oct 14, 2010 04:38AM) (new)

M I vote for The Once and Future King Kong. T. H. White's The Once and Future King is clearly the more important book.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments M wrote: "I vote for The Once and Future King Kong. T. H. White's The Once and Future King is clearly the more important book."

I WAS thinking of the Once and Future King Kong when I posed the question. Feel free to pose a new one. In the mean time try this one...

Samuel Pepys records his daily activities in 17th Century London before moving to Manhattan, marrying and going crazy.

message 7: by M (new)

M Oh, no! I was just trying to stir Debbie up. She got it first.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10401 comments Samuel Peyps diary of a Mad Housewife

message 9: by Stephen (last edited Oct 14, 2010 05:03PM) (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments Kitty wrote: "Samuel Peyps diary of a Mad Housewife"

Exactly Kitty! Do you have one? They're not easy to think of.

If not maybe you'll get this one.

A mafiosi oversees the christening of two twin boys. When one grows up to be a failed hitman his brother takes over leaving him free to tour the country as a knight errant with their childhood buddy Sancho Panza.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10401 comments Virgina goes back in time to visit Thomas Cromwell

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10401 comments Virginia goes back in time to visit Thomas Cromwell

message 12: by M (new)

M The first one is The Godfather of La Mancha, and the second one is Yes, Virginia, There Is a Lord Protector.

message 13: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments The Last Don Quixote?

message 14: by Stephen (last edited Oct 14, 2010 05:58PM) (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments Jan you got mine exactly right. Still puzzling on Kitty's though... Thomas Was Henry VIII's guy. Oliver was the Lord Protector, No? Can you tell us more about Virginia?

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10401 comments Some were afraid of her.

message 16: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments Ok Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf I'm guessing for the first part. I'm afraid that I've still no idea on the second part.

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol | 10401 comments Thomas Cromwell's house

message 18: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments Ah that makes the mashed up title...

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe Hall?

I'd honestly never heard of the book Wolf Hall though and had to really dig for it.

My poser is...

Gary Gilmore, in 1977 is to become became the first person executed in the United States since the reinstitution of the death penalty but first recites a homerotic poem about his civil war nursing days.

I'm hoping that the books are both better known. But then so do Bill Whitman and Norm Mailer.

message 19: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments Do I get a turn for getting one right?

message 20: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments oops. sorry go ahead Jan

message 21: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments Don't worry, I had to go to physio. Back now, so here goes:
An adventurous American boy helps a runaway slave then goes to Dublin around Kissmiss but falls off a ladder.

message 22: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments Could it Be...

Huck Finnigan's Wake?

message 23: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments Yep!

message 24: by Stephen (last edited Oct 14, 2010 09:22PM) (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments OK how bout the book where ...

Stevens, the perfect English butler discovers his boss is a nazi sympathizer when a UFO from outer space lands with Gort the robot aboard to give him the message.

oops the other one is still outstanding

Gary Gilmore, in 1977 is to become became the first person executed in the United States since the reinstitution of the death penalty but first recites a homerotic poem about his civil war nursing days.

solve either and go. It's bed time for me

message 25: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments Remains of the Day the Earth Stood Still

message 26: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments And the other one is:

The executioner's Song of Myself.

Hmmm...now I have to set one and it's already past midnight...early hours of Saturday.

message 27: by Stephen (last edited Oct 15, 2010 09:05AM) (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments Jan wrote: "Remains of the Day the Earth Stood Still

And the other one is:

The executioner's Song of Myself.

Hmmm...now I have to set one and it's already past midnight...early hours of Saturday."

Go girl! you got em both right. We can wait to see what you come up with.

message 28: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments Try this, then keep playing if you get it...I'll be sleeping.

A journalist moves north to a remote coastal town where he works for a local paper. Strange things happen in the town, which makes him start thinking about a utopian future for a city like London, without oppressive government.

message 29: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments Ahoy, there! Me hearties!(since I guessed two, I thought I'll add another)
1. The journalist...see #32 above
2. A very strange place indeed....not only is there buried treasure,there are also grotesque semi-human creatures...

message 30: by Stephen (last edited Oct 15, 2010 02:24PM) (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments Remote coastal town suggests a Stephen King book but the second part of #2 suggests The Island of Doctor Moreau. The journalist part is throwing me but from Jan's greeting I was thinking "Treasure Island of Doctor Moreau" A bit of Internet research suggests that "Island of Doctor Moreau" by itself might be enough.

Island (1962) by Aldous Huxley follows the story of Will Farnaby, a cynical journalist, who shipwrecks on the fictional island of Pala and experiences their unique culture and traditions which create a utopian society.

The Doctor Moreau bits covers the grotesque semi-human creatures.

Am I close?

message 31: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments In the mean time...

Here's another poser...

Billy Pilgrim, a man becomes unstuck in time but then dies and a quintet of people explain that heaven is not a destination but an explanation of everything that's happened revealing the secret behind "Why was I here?"

message 32: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18471 comments Mod
Slaughterhouse Five People You Meet in Heaven

message 33: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments Newengland wrote: "Slaughterhouse Five People You Meet in Heaven"

Right you are NE! Want to pose the next one? Still not sure that I've gotten Jan's right.

message 34: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18471 comments Mod
Traveling through Alaska and regaling folks with stories of grizzlies and Alaskan settlers, a writer is surprised to find himself a her now living in a seaside village in Maine (a-yuh!).

message 35: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments Stephen, you got the easy one...The Treasure Island of Dr Moreau, but not the slightly more tricky one about the guy working for a local paper in a remote coastal town where strange things happen to him and he then starts thinking about an imagined utopian London society, free from oppressive government.

message 36: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments New...Sarah Palin goes to Maine:D

message 37: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18471 comments Mod
God forbid!

message 38: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments Only joking! If you're having trouble with the journalist one....here's a hint...he writes a specific column for that local paper...a column that has to do with events which may have an impact on ocean going vessels.

I was only able to guess one of Stephen's because he gave a hint about authors. I've given a hint, what about a hint from you, New?

message 39: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18471 comments Mod
The first is a non-fiction book, the second a minor classic.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

The Shipping News

message 41: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments David, you've got the first half. Remember this is a melded title, so it's The Shipping News ..... .....
two more words needed for part two. See#39 above.

message 42: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments Ok Mr Tricky aka Newengland, I've got two suggestions for your puzzle.

1. Alaska Bear Tales of a Midwife....or
2.Coming into the Country of the Young.

message 43: by Stephen (last edited Oct 16, 2010 08:43AM) (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments Jan wrote: "David, you've got the first half. Remember this is a melded title, so it's The Shipping News ..... .....
two more words needed for part two. See#39 above."

Grrr. I thought about The Shipping News but I've never read it and when I checked the description on goodreads it didn't sound like it was about a journalist after all. And I'm still unclear about part 2. Guess I should spend less time playing games and more time reading!

message 44: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments You and me both Stephen, but I like this game...there's still a second half to find. One more hint. I have a book called 1001 books you must read before you die. It has a list. There's a group. Go find.

message 45: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18471 comments Mod
Jan is halfway home (but stuck in Minnesota en route to Maine)

message 46: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments The tales or the country?

message 47: by Ken (new)

Ken | 18471 comments Mod
The part you have correct is:

Coming into the Country...

message 48: by Stephen (last edited Oct 16, 2010 05:31PM) (new)

Stephen (havan) | 1023 comments Newengland wrote: "The part you have correct is:

Coming into the Country..."

gotta be
Coming into the Country of the Pointed Firs

Ok time for me to read more I've not read EITHER half.

Here's one where both ends are classics of a sort...

When Thomas More discovers a way to become transparent, he starts to go insane and Henry VIII has him executed for disloyalty.

message 49: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments I just worked it out and you beat me to it!

message 50: by Jan (new)

Jan (auntyjan) | 1259 comments You still haven't got the second half of mine!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7