The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Dystopian novels

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments I swore that there was a thread for this but I couldn't find it anywhere!

Any recs for dystopian novels? Adult and YA! I've read The Hunger Games and the Uglies and have The Handmaid's Tale on my shelf.

message 2: by Cindy (last edited Oct 13, 2010 08:42AM) (new)

Cindy (newtomato) Since you like Hunger Games and Uglies, you might be interested in a new book that I've seen described as Little Brother meets Hunger Games. Anyways, it's called The Unidentified.

A book I've read this year and really enjoyed is The Unit.

In terms of classic dystopic novels, I can vouch for:
A Canticle for Leibowitz
The Postman
(The two above are post-apocalyptic. I don't know if you care about that...)
and of course:
Brave New World.

eta: and definitely put Handmaid's Tale at the top of your dystopic TBR. It's awesome!

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
Ooohhh.. A favorite topic of mine. Here is my Apocalyptic bookshelf.. have a peek!

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

Lots of great ones out there!

message 5: by Joseph (last edited Oct 13, 2010 09:21AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 906 comments I would add in Lois Lowry's loose trilogy The Giver, Gathering Blue, and Messenger. They are YA great reads. You don't have to read them all or in order, but you'll catch bits and pieces that mean more if you have read them in order.

message 6: by Candiss (last edited Oct 13, 2010 09:46AM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) There are a couple of other Goodreads lists devoted to dystopian fiction. These are more general, as in they aren't Young Adult specific like Kellyflower's link above.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/56...
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/74...

Leaving out books already suggested by others, I'll add:

We (This inspired both 1984 and Brave New World, yet it is lesser-known due to being suppressed in its home country for a long time.)
Fahrenheit 451
The Children of Men
Battle Royale (a clear inspiration for The Hunger Games)
A Canticle for Leibowitz
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
Feed
Oryx and Crake
The Dispossessed: An Ambiguous Utopia
Never Let Me Go
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

message 7: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Shade's Children by Garth Nix is a YA sci-fi dystopia I really liked when I read as a teen.

You should definitely give your copy of The Handmaid's Tale a try. Awesome book!

I haven't read Hunger Games but it always seemed like it was slighlty inspired by The Most Dangerous Game (a short story).

message 8: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments 'The City and The City' China Mieville

message 9: by Marti (new)

Marti (marjay) | 985 comments Don't forget Margaret Atwood's new book The Year of the Flood

message 10: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) Marti wrote: "Don't forget Margaret Atwood's new book The Year of the Flood"

Yep - that's the sequel to Oryx and Crake. I haven't read the second one yet, but I've heard it's very good.

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen (delphyne) Swan Song by Robert McCammon
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (His Dark Materials series)

message 12: by Jane (new)

Jane | 221 comments Another post apocalyptic = The Road

message 13: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) | 610 comments 'The Passage'

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments I liked Year of the Flood almost more than Oryx and Crake - both were very good.

message 15: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) Highly recommend The Unit also.

message 16: by Steph (new)

Steph (somethingplace) | 79 comments I second the recommendations of Oryx and Crake and Unwind.

message 17: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 285 comments Seconded for Maze Runner. If you like the Hunger Games triology, you'll like The Maze Runner. It's sequel came out a few weeks ago.

I also recommend the Tripods Trilogy by John Christopher, The first book is: The White Mountains. These books are a little more on the Sci-Fi Side, and pay a little homage to war of the worlds, but they deal with the human struggle on a dystopian earth.

I like this topic - I got some great ideas!

message 18: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey (jeff_onorato) | 1 comments If you like Uglies you will like The SIN of Addison Hall.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael Poeltl (mikepoeltl) | 0 comments Looking for Dystopian themed books? I'd like to offer up my own series; The Judas Syndrome. The first book is available on Amazon as a paperback, but the first and second are available as ebooks for less than a Grande Latte!
Find them both here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?u...

For more information on the book and the author (Me), visit the website http://www.the-judas-syndrome.com

message 20: by Tad (new)

Tad (tottman) Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder is a very good YA dystopian novel. The second book in the series Outside In is coming out next month.

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen (delphyne) Tad, that sounds a little like the Hunger Games series.

message 22: by Tad (new)

Tad (tottman) Inside Out is a little bit like the Hunger Games series. The settings or "worlds" are quite different though. I enjoyed both.

message 23: by A.M. (new)

A.M. (amharte) | 13 comments Hunger Games has been on my to-read list for AGES. I should really get around to it.

As for my own reccs, what about some good indie titles?

I can recommend the scifi thriller The Vector which is set in a dystopian future.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

message 25: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyknap) | 6 comments You might want to check out the Divergent series. If you enjoyed Hunger Games and The Uglies, this is right up your alley!

message 26: by Leslie T. (new)

Leslie T. (lat0403) | 69 comments There are some really good ones mentioned. The Stand and Stephen King's inspiration Earth Abides are two more. I didn't really like Earth Abides that much, though. Oh, and I just finished The Day of the Triffids. I liked it.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished What's Left of Me, recommended by another online group, and I've enjoyed it. It's one to look at.

message 28: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 27 comments Try Hugh Howey's Wool or Jonathan Maberry's Rot & Ruin series, both excellent!

message 29: by Garrett (last edited Jan 30, 2013 08:09PM) (new)

Garrett Addison (garrettaddison) | 1 comments I love John Birmingham. Have a look at these; they'll sucker you in.

Without Warning (The Disappearance, #1) by John Birmingham
The world is turned on it's head ...

Weapons Of Choice (Axis Of Time, #1) by John Birmingham
This one might be a bit of a stretch as 'distopian' given that it is really alternative history, but it's well worth considering.

John Birmingham

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Craft | 2 comments Check out Eden by David Holley.

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 617 comments i'm reading Railsea right now - which is a YA dystopian take on Moby Dick - but they are hunting moles instead of whales - its intriguing

message 32: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Harris (ken_harris) | 8 comments I think I'll be trying out The Year of the Flood. Thanks!

Give The Old Man and the Wasteland a shot. I found it on a whim and it turned out to be a fantastic dystopian novel.

message 33: by Mariangela (new)

Mariangela Frazzetto | 2 comments The Last Overseer was excellent and I compare it to 1984. It featured a most horrifying scientific dictatorship.

message 34: by Chris (last edited Jan 30, 2014 05:21AM) (new)

Chris Dietzel (chrisdietzel) | 92 comments Candiss's post really hit it out of the ballpark. The Road, Fahrenheit 451, and 1984 are absolute 'musts' for dystopia. Hopefully I'll get around to reading 'We' very soon.

message 35: by Katy (new)

Katy | 7 comments Who fears death by nnedi okorafor

message 36: by Katy (new)

Katy | 7 comments Who fears death by nnedi okorafor

✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿ (frangiegal) | 39 comments I second Hugh Howey's - Wool

message 38: by Renee (new)

Renee | 66 comments Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's tale is one of the best that I've ever read. I also liked Stephen King's The Stand. The Giver by Lois Lowery is a good YA example, along with The Girl Who Owned a City by O.T. Nelson. The writing in The Girl Who Owned a City isn't the best I've come across, but the story is an interesting idea.

message 39: by N (new)

N | 104 comments The Handmaids Tale is THE BEST! So ahead of it's time, I remember reading it thinking 'a card instead of cash you can use anywhere?' It could have been written today - in fact I'm going to have a reread its been years!

message 40: by N (new)

N | 104 comments oh and 1984 obviously, a Brave New World and The Hunger Games.

message 41: by Renee (new)

Renee | 66 comments N, I know, I think The Handmaid's Tale has to be one of the scariest books I've read, mostly because it seems almost inevitable to happen...hope all us females can reproduce. The Hunger Games is on my To Read list, and I think I'll add 1984. I've never read that old classic but keep meaning to.

message 42: by Renee (new)

Renee | 66 comments Two other YA novels I've read that fall at least somewhat into this category are Z For Zachariah by Robert B O'brien and After by Francine Prose. Z For Zachariah isn't exactly dystopian, it tells the story of a teenage girl who survives a nuclear war because somehow the valley she lives in is protected from the surrounding radiation. Then one day a scientist in a "safe suit" shows up and imposes his will on amost everything, and the girl has to fight to survive him. After is the story of a high school being taken over by outside adults after a school shooting at another school. They keep adding more and more rules, and then kids from the school start being sent to "re education" camps.

message 43: by Melissa (last edited Aug 29, 2013 09:16AM) (new)

Melissa (mkc2192) I recommend The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. They're a fun read and a futuristic take on a couple of fairy tales like

Cinderella
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer

Little Red Riding Hood
Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer

Rapunzel
Cress (Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer

I've only read the first book and I can't wait to get ahold of the second. The third book won't be out until next year, but that's okay. I've got a lot of other reading to do.

message 44: by Kyly (new)

Kyly (mermaid121) I want to read cinder

message 45: by Nicolas (new)

Nicolas Wilson | 2 comments Second Unwind. I didn't care for it, but my wife loves it.

We is supposed to be great, too. And Michelle Browne writes some entertaining dystopias, though I think most of hers are shorter works.

The Burning of Cherry Hill was entertaining, too.

Hope those help!

message 46: by Mark (new)

Mark Likes | 19 comments Unwind & Wool are must reads for dystopian fans. If you liked Hunger Games, then give Divergent a try.

message 47: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Lillie (kiwibookworm) | 33 comments Let me think... Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth !!! It's a trilogy so you have lots of reading material.

message 48: by Kari (new)

Kari | 9 comments Those of you who liked Handmaid's Tale and Hunger Games, I would be really interested to hear your opinions about Women's Work. I'm doing an author Q&A from March 15-20 on Goodreads. You just join the Q&A group, then pop in with questions and comments during those days.

There will be great conversations about the dystopic world in this story, gender roles, relationships and the pursuit of power. Check out the book and join the Q&A!

message 49: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Lillie (kiwibookworm) | 33 comments Two other trilogies: The Chemical Gardens and Legend.

message 50: by Bill (new)

Bill (bills0) | 11 comments Mark wrote: "Unwind & Wool are must reads for dystopian fans. If you liked Hunger Games, then give Divergent a try."

I did and I was very disappointed, especially in the final book Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth

« previous 1