Polska / Poland discussion

Mixture > Books on Poland and from Poland for foreigners

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna, Commander-in-Chief (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 768 comments Mod
The topic is set for showing foreigners books on Poland (like those written by Norman Davies) and from Poland (Polish literature like Czesław Miłosz or Stanisław Lem).

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Poland: A Unique Country And Its People
By Alicja Deck-Partyka
The author has a Polish name but she lives in America.

Shall I do a review in this thread?

message 3: by Damian (last edited Jan 31, 2012 12:04PM) (new)

Damian Jerzy Kosinski and his 'Painted bird'? not quite everyone's book, I know, but powerfull, unforgettable and well, by a Polish author - if that's what we understand by 'books from Poland'?

message 5: by Kama (new)

Kama (Okama) A gdzie je kupowac (tak zeby byl wybor)? Tak by zrobic prezent komus. Albo w Warszawie albo internetowa ksiegarnia.

message 6: by Irm (last edited Dec 07, 2013 01:25PM) (new)

Irm | 48 comments Spróbuj na Allegro, trochę książek anglojęzycznych o Polsce jest, w tym na pewno Normana Daviesa, o którym pisała Anna: http://allegro.pl/ksiazki-obcojezyczn... albo w księgarni internetowej merlin.pl: http://merlin.pl/poland_ksiazki-obcoj...

message 7: by Kama (new)

Kama (Okama) dzieki :)

message 8: by Lorenzo (last edited Mar 14, 2014 07:04AM) (new)

Lorenzo Berardi | 3 comments I know I'm late posting something new onto this thread, but the one below is a short list of those books which helped (or will help) me in trying to understand Polish past and recent history as well as contemporary Poland:

Gombrowicz - Polish memories
Kapuscinski - The Polish Bush
Karski - Story of a Secret State
Konwicki - A Minor Apocalpyse
Sikorski - The Polish House
Tyrmand - Diary 1954
Milosz - The Captive Mind
Wat - My Century
Garton Ash - The Polish Revolution: Solidarity
Moran - A Country in the Moon
Zamoyski - Poland: A History
Lukowski & Zawadzki - A Concise History of Poland

Haven't included any Norman Davies above, but that 'God's Playground' (a moloch in two volumes) of his is considered the greatest accomplishment regarding Polish history.

Hope this brief list could be of any help :o)

message 9: by Curtis (new)

Curtis Urness | 6 comments Damian wrote: "Jerzy Kosinski and his 'Painted bird'? not quite everyone's book, I know, but powerfull, unforgettable and well, by a Polish author - if that's what we understand by 'books from Poland'?"
I first read it when I was teenager. I didn't really understand it then. I don't think I even realized that the protagonist was Jewish. Since then, I've reread it a few times. It is definitely powerful and unforgettable. I have a really hard time believing that everyone the boy came upon was so twisted and perverse. So, I think it is a book of excesses with a grain of truth here and there.

message 10: by Curtis (new)

Curtis Urness | 6 comments deleted user wrote: "Poland: A Unique Country And Its People
By Alicja Deck-Partyka
The author has a Polish name but she lives in America.

Shall I do a review in this thread?"

I'd be interested in reading a review.

message 11: by Asia (new)

Asia | 2 comments Anna wrote: "The topic is set for showing foreigners books on Poland (like those written by Norman Davies) and from Poland (Polish literature like Czesław Miłosz or Stanisław Lem)."

A new book has just hit the market (yesterday): Vodka and Apple Juice. Australian author. It is about diplomatic life of a woman, who lived in Poland for 3 years as a wife of diplomatic worker. I think it can be a good position for those who like to know more about polish commons, food and other every-day things.

message 12: by Arthur (new)

Arthur (warrior1775) | 1 comments Thank you for these suggestions. Unfortunately I cannot read Polish so these books are great tips for where to start expanding my knowledge.