Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Discussion > Mythic fiction books (beyond Endicott)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Odette (last edited Oct 12, 2010 09:54PM) (new)

Odette | 316 comments Mod
I'm starting this topic because Endicott group member Don P mentioned an interesting anthology, My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me, ed. by Kate Bernheimer. I thought it would be good to have a place for group members to post titles of additional Endicott-type books you've enjoyed that focus on "myth, folklore, fairy tales, and the oral storytelling tradition."
Recommend away. :)

Note: The group monthly selections will continue to draw from the official Endicott to-read list.

message 2: by Reem (new)

Reem (reemhkattan) | 49 comments Odette wrote: "I'm starting this topic because Endicott group member Don P mentioned an interesting anthology, My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me, ed. by Kate Bernheimer. I thought it would be good to ..."

Oh, I have a few here on my bookshelf that fit that catagory:

1. Alice At Heart by Deborah Smith.
2. Ash by Malinda Lo.
3. A Knot In the Grain by Robin McKinley.
4. Black Juice by Margo Lanagan.
5. The Tower At Stony Wood by Patricia A. McKillip. (One of my all time favorite authors)
6. Swan Sisters, edited by Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow.
7. The Good Fairies of New York by Martin Millar.
8.The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer (aimed more for kids and young adults, but is an excellent read, I think.)
9. Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales From Burns To Buchan (penguin classics.)
10. Irish Ghosts and Hauntings by Michael Scott.

message 3: by Don (new)

Don (donfoolery) | 6 comments I did notice that Conjunctions 39: The New Wave Fabulists was on the to-read list. Might be worth it to add its "sequel" of sorts, Conjunctions: 52, Betwixt the Between.

message 4: by Odette (new)

I'll add -
The Bitter Green of the Willow: four fairy tales by March Cost
(Out of print but worth tracking down)

message 5: by Odette (last edited Nov 07, 2010 09:18AM) (new)

Interesting article in the NYT Sunday Book Review today:

When Stories Had Sharp Teeth
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/boo...

message 6: by Mir (new)

Mir | 15 comments It might be tidier to do this as a bookshelf.

message 7: by Shveta (new)

Shveta Thakrar (shveta-thakrar) | 6 comments Miriam wrote: "It might be tidier to do this as a bookshelf."

That would be really useful! I also hope we can come up with retellings from lots of different cultures.

message 8: by Mir (new)

Mir | 15 comments Moderators can add new shelves -- I think this group has the bookshelves set so only mods can add books.

message 9: by Odette (last edited Feb 25, 2011 08:46PM) (new)

Hi Miriam & Shveta,
I just saw your comments. It's an interesting idea.

I wish there was a way to set up a single public-access bookshelf for additional non-Endicott selections, but Good Reads doesn't currently have that option as far as I can tell (I just looked).
We're not going to open up the current bookshelves for public moderation because it took Baobhan & I so many hours of work to get all those Endicott books on the shelves & neither of us has the time to regularly monitor the shelves if changes are made to them.

The group was set up to read our way through the Endicott Mythic Arts journal books - many of them are now out of print & are very much worth rediscovering - & there don't seem to be a lot of other forums for that rediscovery.

I love Shveta's idea for having additional listings of retellings from lots of different cultures. I wonder if these discussion threads could serve that purpose - maybe not as neatly as an official bookshelf, but still a really useful resource. It should currently be set so non-moderators can start their own discussion threads (let me know if it's not set up that way & I'll adjust the settings).

Does that work for you? If we get a large number of recommendations for additional mythic arts books, we could revisit the bookshelf idea, or maybe come up with additional solutions that don't require too big a time commitment from me & Baobhan.

message 11: by Odette (new)

Mary wrote: "Beauty and the Beast Tales from Around the World
Sleeping Beauties: Sleeping Beauty and Snow White Tales from Around the World
[book:Rapunzel And Other Maiden In The ..."

Those look great, Mary. Thanks!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.