FRS Brit Lit discussion

Discussion Response #2 due Friday 10/15 (A Block)

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Costello (new)

Costello | 13 comments Mod
Now that you are approximately halfway through your independent reading book I would like you to expand on the main action of your story.
What has been happening? Why is it important to the plot?
Take an important quote or short passage from your reading and include it with some explanation.
Do you have any questions moving forward? Predictions that have come true or that might come true?
This response MUST BE AT LEAST A HEALTHY PARAGRAPH LONG (8-10 sentences)but can be more. This response MUST USE CORRECT SPELLING AND GRAMMAR AND BE APPROPRIATE FOR SCHOOL.

In addition to your response, I would like you to comment on one of your classmate's responses by clicking "reply" on their comment. Your comment MUST USE CORRECT SPELLING AND GRAMMAR AND BE APPROPRIATE FOR SCHOOL. Minimum of 3 sentences. Try to link your story and characters to theirs.

Quality completion of this will factor into your grade as a writing assignment/project, so please treat it as such.

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Beckley | 8 comments Alex continues on hisw sprees of "ultraviolence" with his "droogs" through the nights. However, Alex is growing very bossy and controlling, which the rest of the gang isn't too fond of. Alex is the youngest of the four, and they don't believe there should be anyone in charge, let alone him. He demanded their respect and attacked them, when he considered them to be out of line. Due to his acting out, the rest of the gang beat him up and left him for the police the next time they broke into a house, which so happened to be the time that they accidentally killed someone. Alex is now in jail, but still isn't answering to any authority. He's very interested in this controversial new program that is being tested which supposedly can cure you of any violent tendencies. After, killing one of his cellmates, he is on his way there, but things look grim, for none of the guards seem to have a positive outlook on this new program.
I believe this program will put him through torturous testing that will traumatize him for life, and do irreversible damage.

message 3: by Callie (new)

Callie | 9 comments My book and Dan's book are similar. The main characters are both involved with gangs. His main character Alex is like Spider when he gets brought to jail hhe doesn't answer to authority. People dying is a common theme in both our books, except in his book Alex kills people and in my book Jem just sees people die.

message 4: by Callie (new)

Callie | 9 comments Jem and Spider have been falling more in love day by day. While doing so they are hiding from the police who think that they might've bombed London. These are important events in the book, because they relate to the plot a lot. The plot being that Jem is a girl who sees people's death dates and has to live with the stress of getting to know people that she has a limited time with like Spider. As Jem is hiding out with Spider she falls in love with him which is making it harder for her to know that he's going to die soon. She also is starting to face the reality that the numbers are real and there's no escaping them. "The numbers were me and I was them"-Jem. When Jem said this she was in a depressed mood. She finally accepted the fact that numbers aren't going away, which means that Spider(Her love) will die in a couple of days. It even leads to her thinking about her own suicide, because she thinks if she dies the numbers won't exist and people like Spider won't die. I don't have any questions. I predict Spider will die and it will be Jem's fault. I thought Jem was going to fall in love with Spider and she has.

message 5: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Swasey | 5 comments Christopher continues to try to discover who killed Wellington, although his father told him not to. When his father finds the book that Chris has been writing about his detective work and his interactions throughout the time, he gets angry and they get in a fight. Chris's mother "died" but Chris finds letters that she has been writing to his father while in search of his book he wrote and he figures out that she did not actually die she left the family because Christopher acted more calm and less violent around father then when she was around.
"I'm so sorry, Christopher. I'm so, so sorry."-Chris's father When Chris's father said this he was apologizing which he doesn't do often about how he lied to him that his mother died, but when really she didn't. I don't have any questions about the book, the book is very self-explanatory. I predicted that Chris will figure out who killed Wellington and yet he hasn't been he hasn't given up on trying to figure out who killed him, which leads me to believe that he's going to continue with the search until he gets an answer.

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Bourque | 10 comments In my book Jane has now grown up and is a governess at a place called Thornfield. There she meets a man who's name is Rochester. After a couple of weeks of being at Thornfield Jane is wondering around the grounds when she sees a man fall off his horse. She helps him up and then goes inside. The man is Rochester. The next day Rochester invites Jane the the girl she governs to tea. This begins the relationship of Jane and Rochester. I consider it a odd one because when Jane first has tea with him he is very cold to her and the second time he asks her if she thinks he is handsome, putting Jane in a uncomfortable position. She says no and he gets upset about that and begins to go on about the concepts of sin, and forgiveness. Adele the girl Jane governs mentions her mother and the conversation completely ends. I feel like Jane meeting Rochester is important to the plot because his background seems really fishy and I think Jane is going to uncover Rochester myserious history.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Merritt | 11 comments Right now stuff is about to go down. King Tirian is furiated about the ape trying to pass off a donkey as Aslan to get what he wants. With the help of the two humans from our world he is ready to fight. Tirian is trying to get more people on his side to help. He's showing everyone how the ape fooled them and wants to get them to fight with him. Tirian has a feeling that the ape may have a deal with the Calormenes and they will fight with the ape. Are you actually reading these responses costello? So knowing that Tirian may have a big fight on his hands hes preparing his army for a battle. But some of his followers are a little weary about going to war without a messege from Aslan. They dont understand that it was because of Aslan that Pole and Eustace are there. Im guessing there might be a little civil dispute between them and thats why it will be a battle between themselves.

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Merritt | 11 comments Andrew wrote: "Right now stuff is about to go down. King Tirian is furiated about the ape trying to pass off a donkey as Aslan to get what he wants. With the help of the two humans from our world he is ready to f..."<

another reason why some people are afraid to help Tirian is because they heard a story about Tirian being eaten by Aslan because he was disrespecting him, from a lying cat and then the ape used that to instill fear into everybody. He said thats what happens to people who disrespect Aslan. Now even when Tirian shows them proof the ape is lying they dont want to take the chance of disrespecting him.

message 9: by Kacey (last edited Oct 14, 2010 06:42PM) (new)

Kacey Roberts | 8 comments In my story, Sam has not only gotten into a relationship with Alicia, but he has gotten her pregnant. When he finds this out, he tells his Tony Hawk poster, which then he thinks sends him into the future, where he can see what his life is like with the baby. Upon finding this information, he runs away to Hastings, a nearby town. He seems to think that he can live on his own here, and finds a job helping an old man up and down the stairs at the bread and breakfast he is staying at. When the old man wakes Sam up at four in the morning, so he can retrieve his remote which the old man can't reach, he decides that he needs to go back home, and deal with his problems. When I finished the section, Sam and Alicia had just told their parents that they were going to have a baby. As you can imagine this did not go over well. I am predicting that the future Sam saw from Tony Hawk will come true, no matter how hard he tries to alter it.

message 10: by Kacey (new)

Kacey Roberts | 8 comments Ashley wrote: "In my book Jane has now grown up and is a governess at a place called Thornfield. There she meets a man who's name is Rochester. After a couple of weeks of being at Thornfield Jane is wondering aro..."

Our books are kind of similar with the romance part of it. When Sam first met Alicia in my book, Alicia was mean to Sam. This is like how Rochester in your book, is being cold to Jane. I am curious about Rochester's fishy history too.

message 11: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (Kabramson) | 9 comments I changed my book because I really did not enjoy the first book I was reading. The book I am now reading is Once Was Lost, by Sara Zarr. This is about a girl named Samantha, a paster's daughter, whose life is crumbling around her. Her mother is in rehab because of her drinking problem but only a few people know why she just disapeared, while others are making their own assumptions. The things that are happening now in my book are that Sam has become depressed and anti-social, she is frustrated with her father who has not yet told anyone the truth about his wife, and her friend's little sister disapeared. These things are important to the plot of my book because they are adding on to the stressful situations going on in Sam's life that keep getting worse and worse. An important quote from my book is "Oh, she's just under the weather." Dad says over and over". This quote is important because the fact that no one knows about Sam's mother is making her really stressed. The quote is what Sam's Dad says every time someone asks about his wife, Sam really wants him to tell everyone and lighten the load she has on her shoulders. The questions I have are, who took Jody(the girl who disapeared), and when is Sam's mother going to return? I do not have any predictions for my book at the moment.

message 12: by Stana (new)

Stana | 9 comments In my book, My Invisible Boyfriend by Susie Day, there has been a lot of drama. Including that Heidi made up a boyfriend to fit in with her friends more. This has caused drama because now all of her friends seem to be opening up to him when it’s really Heidi they are telling things to. Henry and Dai are having relationship issues, Fili is totally out of it, and Ludo’s boyfriend is supposedly crushing on another girl... These are important to the plot because when everyone finds out that Heidi’s boyfriend is imaginary and it’s really her that they have been telling their secrets to, they will flip at her. This will cause even more drama. “Case number 1: Miss Ludovica Bianchi and her gentleman friend with the wandering eye…case number 2: Mr. Dai and Mr. Henry. Perfect couple or not?? Finally case number 3: Fili.” This quote is important because when Heidi’s friends figure out that they have been snooping around in their business with her “boyfriend” then they are going to get angry and not talk to her. I only have one question. Why would you make up a boyfriend to fit in better with your friends? I have no predictions to make because I honestly don’t know what’s going to happen next.

message 13: by Stana (new)

Stana | 9 comments Kabramson wrote: "I changed my book because I really did not enjoy the first book I was reading. The book I am now reading is Once Was Lost, by Sara Zarr. This is about a girl named Samantha, a paster's daughter, wh..."

i understand the stressing part about your book. In my book, Heidi is stressing to make sure that no one finds out that her boyfriend is fake. I just hope that Sam's mom is going to come back. :)

message 14: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Santos | 9 comments In About a Boy, Marcus is still getting picked on a lot in school. His only "friends" decided that they didn't want him hanging out with them because bullies came around them to pick on Marcus. He's also realizing that his mother is depressed, but he hasn't really got an actual clue why. She cries during the mornings a lot, and he figures it could be because of men.
Will, even though his single mother fling ended with that specific woman, decided to try to keep up with dating single mothers. Obviously, though it makes it seem as though he's had a revelation, Will is just doing it for his ownself. He doesn't care about a single mother's child, or even her. Will goes for single mother because he sees how desperate they can be for affection. Now, he's decided to go to a single parents meeting to meet other mothers, and he made up a lie about having a 2 year old.

My quote is "He was too young, too old, too stupid, too smart, too groovy, too impatient, too selfish, too careless, too careful, he didn't know enough about kids, he went out too often, he drank too often, he took too many drugs."
This quote shows just how unfit Will was to keep up with this lie about a 2 year old, or even be around his dates' kids. However, I do believe that he will have a change of heart. It will just take time. Will and Marcus' stories will intertwine eventually. Perhaps they will meet through the single parents meetings, because I'm guessing Marcus' mother would go to one of those. Hopefully, Marcus will stop getting picked on.

message 15: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Santos | 9 comments Callie wrote: "Jem and Spider have been falling more in love day by day. While doing so they are hiding from the police who think that they might've bombed London. These are important events in the book, because ..."

Our characters are a lot alike I feel like because they make relationships with people, even if they know they won't work. Jem has to accept the fact that Spider is going to die, and Marcus has to accept that he's just not accepted by anyone right now. Both of our books are about love and relationships, just in different ways. Jem and Marcus' mother are both depressed. Why do you think it will be Jem's fault that Spider will die?

message 16: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (Kabramson) | 9 comments This book sounds really good.It reminds me of my book in many ways. There is a secret being kept in both books(Sam's mom being in rehab in my book and Heidi having an imaginary boyfriend who is really her in your's) Also both books are written about the life of a teenage girl.

Kabramson wrote: "I changed my book because I really did not enjoy the first book I was reading. The book I am now reading is Once Was Lost, by Sara Zarr. This is about a girl named Samantha, a paster's daughter, wh..."

Stana wrote: "In my book, My Invisible Boyfriend by Susie Day, there has been a lot of drama. Including that Heidi made up a boyfriend to fit in with her friends more. This has caused drama because now all of he..."

Kabramson wrote: "I changed my book because I really did not enjoy the first book I was reading. The book I am now reading is Once Was Lost, by Sara Zarr. This is about a girl named Samantha, a paster's daughter, wh..."

message 17: by Andy (new)

Andy Cox | 8 comments ok, so in these last couple of readings a good amount has happened. The mousemaid as i predicted is going to find Redwall which is somewhere in the forest. She still not knowing her name gave herself the name storm (little corny). She finds these hares that try to help her, and they take her to this squirrel to ask him where she should go. He of course says Redwall and starts leading her there. She soon gets angry at him and beats him up and takes his food, and says she can find Redwall herself. On the other side of this book there's the pirate king. He doesn't like this one pirate captain so he kills him. The brother of that rat though hears of this and goes to confront the pirate king. They get into a fight and the pirate king of course wins since he is king. The story still doesn't have a main plot but it will all connect later i predict.

message 18: by Andy (new)

Andy Cox | 8 comments Dan wrote: "Alex continues on hisw sprees of "ultraviolence" with his "droogs" through the nights. However, Alex is growing very bossy and controlling, which the rest of the gang isn't too fond of. Alex is the..."

This book still sounds crazy and its getting even more rediculous. The way you said new program though sounds a little sketchy, but im sure it isn't too messed up. I feel like my book is a little simmilar because they have a gang and the pirates in my book are kind of like a gang with their violence and other criminal activity.

message 19: by Sabryna (new)

Sabryna Whitman | 9 comments In Mates, Dates, and Sequin Smiles, Nesta has gotten braces put on and she completely hates them. I was hoping that she would realize that not everything has to revolve around looks, but I guess not. However, she is taking an acting class and she met a boy whose name is Luke. She falls for him immediately, but she is ashamed because of her braces. Nesta invited him over for dinner, which turned out to be a total disaster for her. And now her father is being weird about Nesta hanging out with him. All of this relates to the plot because the basis of the story is that Nesta is all about her looks. I'm hoping things will change and that Luke will make her not so aware of her looks.
I chose the quote "Life is full of surprises." It pretty much describes my entire book, as things keep twisting and turning in ways I don't expect. The quote also explains Nesta's life. So far, in about a three week period, she has had to get braces, she's started an acting class, and she found a boy she's crazy about. She never thought any of those things would happen to her, yet they have. I'm curious to know what surprises are ahead.
So far, my prediction about Nesta getting over her looks because of her braces hasn't come true. I'm hoping that Luke can help her realize that looks don't matter too. I'm very interested to see where things with Luke and Nesta lead too.

message 20: by Sabryna (new)

Sabryna Whitman | 9 comments Stana wrote: "In my book, My Invisible Boyfriend by Susie Day, there has been a lot of drama. Including that Heidi made up a boyfriend to fit in with her friends more. This has caused drama because now all of he..."

My book and Stana's book are very similiar in the fact that there is a lot of drama going on. It seems like Heidi is trying to fit in with everybody by making up a lie. Nesta is doing something similar by hiding behind her braces and not being who she really is. Both girls aren't being truthful with everybody, as well as themselves. I'm interested to see where both books lead.

message 21: by Seth (new)

Seth | 9 comments So far in my book, Thomas is still reliving memories from his past as he stands watch over the battlefield. The memories so far are mostly memories that lead up to when Thomas enlisted in the army, which is where my last section ended. The main plot to most of these memories is the love triangle between Thomas, his brother Charlie, and Molly who is a childhood friend of both Charlie and Thomas. You see, Thomas is a few years younger than Charlie and Molly, but they still spent all there time together. As all three of them got older, Thomas started to realize was that he loves Molly. What he didn't know was that Charlie and Molly loved each other and were secretly seeing each other. This secret love between Molly and Charlie goes on for awhile, but eventually they are discovered, but not before Charlie gets Molly pregnant. After learning of Charlie and Molly's relationship, Thomas is basically heart broken and the worst part in my opinion is that both Charlie and Molly know that Thomas loves Molly. It's around this time that WWI begins and like all the other men in town Charlie enlists. Thomas also enlists so he can get away from Molly and also so he can make sure that Charlie stays safe. So that's what has been going on in my book so far and I don't have any questions. What I can predict is that I think either Charlie or Thomas is going to die because of the war before this book ends.

message 22: by Seth (new)

Seth | 9 comments Dan wrote: "Alex continues on hisw sprees of "ultraviolence" with his "droogs" through the nights. However, Alex is growing very bossy and controlling, which the rest of the gang isn't too fond of. Alex is the..."

This book sounds pretty intense from what you're saying about it and I might have to read it sometime. That whole program that can cure violent tendencies sounds really off to me and if I was Alex I wouldn't trust it. The only way that I can see our books being linked is that mine takes place during WWI which involves a lot of fighting, and your book has all that gang violence, but that really isn't much of a link.

message 23: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 6 comments In my book the plot gets bigger when Jed Parry starts waiting outside Joe's apartment. Jed wants to talk to Joe and when they finally do Parry tells Joe that he loves him. Joe just ignores him, but Parry leaves 30 messages on his answering machine. Joe waits for Clarissa (his wife) to get home to tell her. She's had a long day and she doesn't want Joe screaming at her. They get into a huge fight and it ends with Joe leaving the apartment. When he leaves he bums into Parry. An important quote is "You love me. You love me, and there's nothing I can do but to return your love."-Jed Parry.

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Bourque | 10 comments Dan wrote: "Alex continues on hisw sprees of "ultraviolence" with his "droogs" through the nights. However, Alex is growing very bossy and controlling, which the rest of the gang isn't too fond of. Alex is the..."

I find it interesting that our books seemed so similar in the beginning but drastically changed about halfway through. I am curious to see what Jem and Spiders relationship is like so I can see if it relates to what could be a relationship between Jane and Rochester.

message 25: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Merritt | 11 comments Chelsea wrote: "Christopher continues to try to discover who killed Wellington, although his father told him not to. When his father finds the book that Chris has been writing about his detective work and his inte..."

I've read this book already and i liked it. It shows how Chris is so dependent when hes not even 14 years of age. Its also neat how Chris does this with his autism.

message 26: by Travis (new)

Travis Whittle | 4 comments There are two main actions in the story.
1. The recovery of the crown jewels and of the stolen Templar records
2. The rise to power and then use of power by Baybars
Will has had to make deals with princes, fight off pirates, work with a shady dude named Rook, sneak and fight along side a girl (something he would have expected less than the pirate attack)
Baybars had to lead an army into battle on behalf of a man he hates and who is trying to have him killed. He had to raid a small city and kill every white person in that city. He had to plan and exicute the murder of his countries leader so that he may become Sultan. He had to work to harvest the hate against the "franks" so he can lead the army to war and have them want to fight.