Comfort Reads discussion

Chit Chat - TV & Movies > Mike and Molly

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (last edited Oct 13, 2010 07:31AM) (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 47 comments I am so in love with this show! I am a larger woman and am dating for the fist time in my life. I have been with my boyfriend 5 years now, and I can identify with both of the main characters of this show. Aaron isn't a really big guy (at least compared to me) and he and I are trying to be healthier versions of ourselves, like the characters.

For the two of us, though, it seems like the shows writers have been following one or both of us. In the first episode, Molly says that she knows that she will never be a size 2 and that she's o.k. with that, and that she is happy with who she is. In another episode, she yanks a hair out of Mike's nose (it had been driving her crazy!). She had been drinking, but I do that to Aaron all the time, and I'm sober! (He hates to hear, "I'm getting the tweezers! His mustache likes to grow long strays that go up MY nose when we kiss.)

This week, when she said he was perfect, I cried because Aaron has said that to me many, many times, especially when I say something not complimentary about myself.

I love this show!

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I saw the first episode and really liked it. Then, as I do with so many new shows where I liked the first episode, I stopped watching. But, it's a show I can see watching again.

Re the weight issue: I like it when fat actors get hired!!! I get tired of all the ultra thin actors and of actors in fat suits who get hired to play fat people. I like it when real people get hired. They're just as good at acting, and it's so much more realistic!

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 47 comments I love the fact that more large people are getting on shows. (I am waiting for "Huge" to come on DVD so I can see it since it was on opposite something else.) I am a larger woman, and have been a larger person all of my life. I think it is high time that Hollywood realizes that women are not all a size 2 and that every person has value regardless of size. I am so glad to see a larger woman as a lead and a romantic one at that, instead of being the pretty girls best friend.

I like Chuck Lore's chutzpah!

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) I love the show huge. And I like that there's a t least one actress on Glee who's fat, and obviously fit too!

message 5: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 492 comments I need another TV show to watch like I need a hole in the head. Nevertheless...

When and what channel are these shows on?

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 47 comments Mike and Molly is on CBS Monday at 9:30, Huge is on ABC Family but is off for now, and Glee is on Fox, not sure what night since I don't watch it. Huge should be out on DVD soon. I am on order for Drop Dead Diva, season 1. I believe in supporting as many plus sized shows as I can so that Hollywood will get with it!

Have you all seen "Say yes to the Dress: Big Bliss" on TLC? It is so cool! They follow plus-size brides trying to find a wedding dress. I love it. (That's on Friday nights at 9, and re-runs at 11. And you usually can find a re-run around 5 or so on Fridays of the week before's show.)

message 7: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) I watch Mike and Molly because it's entertaining. That's a good thing, since it's the only thing that will keep it on TV. The supporting characters are interesting, and the insecurities that Mike and Molly have are ones that anyone can identify with. Who isn't worried about how they look or what someone thinks about them or about what someone will think about their families? And aren't best friends always jealous of a friend's new love? Good show.

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 47 comments I know that when my friends were dating, and I wasn't, I would be left out of things for a while. My one friend would call me and apologize up one side and the other when she would realize that she had been ignoring me. I got used to it, and now that I am dating and my friends are settled, it's not so bad.

message 9: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) My family and I love this show. Though I have had to delete a 1 or 2 episodes bc 1 of my kids is a little young yet for that's episode's content.

We enjoy watching comedies together though. This is a great one!

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 47 comments I love that I can see myself and my boyfriend in this show. If I was not dating, I think I would like it, but I would not get out of it nearly what I do now. I swear that the writers follow us around and quote us!

message 11: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) I don't know Kim. I'm married. My husband, me, and 2 out of 3 of our kids really like the show. The 3rd is just too young for it.

But I know what you mean by having a show that you think is created just for you. It's funny, yeeeet a little creepy. Makes you want to look over your shoulder right?

message 12: by Kim (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 47 comments Sometimes, sometimes....

message 13: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) Ha ha! Too funny!

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) This is a recent discovery of ours, and my husband and I adore it. We laugh aloud at every episode, and it's been pointed out to us more than once that Carl and my husband share certain characteristics. There have been a few times where his reaction would be the exact same as Carl's was!