Terminalcoffee discussion

Celebrate > the Official 2010 Halloween Thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, here's what we've got so far...

* Pi is getting dressed up as a supervillian, but I don't believe we're sure which one yet.

* Gretchen will be at the legendary DBT Halloween show. I say "legendary" because they've been known to pull out all the stops for Halloween gigs.

What else are people doing? I'm most likely handing out candy...my oldest son and I hand out candy together and liberally sample from the stash.

You? Other Halloween thoughts?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Huffington Post also has a "13 Halloween Costumes that have business being sexy" feature...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10...

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Hey, you're cribbing from my unofficial Halloween thread. I already posted that link when I said I objected to "Sexy ____" costumes as a whole.

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I'll be sleeping.

What day will the kids be trick-or-treating your neighborhood?

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Hee. Wait, was that a Halloween thread or just a thread devoted to your costume decision? Hm. You're right. Maybe we should have co-opted that thread into the Halloween thread. What should we do?

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm fine with your thread. I was just pretending to be huffy.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I'm fine with your thread. I was just pretending to be huffy."

I know.:) I just felt bad I stepped on your toes...

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments It's ok. That's why I wear steel toed boots.

message 9: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments When we moved into our rental home here in Florida last year, I tried to find out the days/timings of trick-or-treating in our community. Nobody seemed to know anything.

I finally found out that it always falls on Halloween itself and there are no set times.

So we bought big bags of candy at Sam's and made sure we were home all afternoon and evening with the lights on. We didn't get a single trick-or-treater.

We'll still buy candy this year b/c I just know that if we don't...

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I finally found out that it always falls on Halloween itself and there are no set times.

This is how it was in Chicago growing up, Mona. When I moved to Wisconsin and they told me of the specific date/times I thought people were shitting me.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Kids mostly skip my block, but I don't blame them. The treats-to-houses ratio is off. We always end up either eating most of our candy or giving the two kids who come the entire basket. (Cue wide eyes)

Nothing will ever compare to my formative years of trick or treating in NYC highrises.

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Try living in Utah, where every neighbor has five kids.

We get anywhere from 70 (if there have been a lot of trunk-or-treat events) to 180 kids.

message 13: by Mona (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "I finally found out that it always falls on Halloween itself and there are no set times.

This is how it was in Chicago growing up, Mona. When I moved to Wisconsin and they told me of the specifi..."

I grew up in Wisconsin and set days/times is what I'm used to(not that we followed these to the letter as kids). So the Florida way is weird to me.

message 14: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Last year I was the virgin bride. This year I'm Little Red Riding Hood, which some people believe is a symbol of a young woman's sexual maturity.

In other words, I WANT TO FUCK.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Eat more ice. That's supposed to help with the cravings.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I really want to dress my 2 year old up as a hobbit, complete with furry feet.

Anyone have some ideas how to do this costume homemade?

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments halloween is a friend of mine's mothers bday. my friend (her son) Terry was killed in a 1980 car accident. since then i have only missed 2 times of visiting her on her birthday/halloween. when my kids were little they knew that no matter what, on halloween we were going by there. as they have gotten older and married most of them still visit her on her birthday. we still get candy there but she makes us say "trick or treat". she has lost another son a few years back and her husband just over a yr ago. this year on halloween she has let me know she won't be home as she will be traveling to her sister's. she tells us that our visits are one of the the things she looks forward to most. funny how something seemingly so tiny can mean so much. it has taught my kids much. just won't seem like halloween without visiting mrs. keller....

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments http://kevonia2.blogspot.com/2006/10/...

an older blog post i did a few yrs back about halloween

message 19: by Jan (new)

Jan | 241 comments >>an older blog post i did a few yrs back about halloween<<

Kevin, would you mind if I sent this post to my kids? They would so identify with it.

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments you are welcome to. hope it brings back great memories

message 21: by RandomAnthony (last edited Oct 15, 2010 06:49AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I remember when the ladies of the church decided that we should not have Halloween parties, but instead do a “Harvest Party”. We were supposed to come dressed as our favorite Bible character. What?

This made me laugh out loud. All the parties around here are "Harvest Parties" too...wouldn't want to offend the two born again Christians in town who make the rest of the Christians look bad...

A colleague of mine's kindergarten son was told by his teacher at a private (but not religious, I should point out) school he couldn't be a cowboy because cowboys were "too violent". I guess they were, historically, but I think he was gonna be a different kind of cowboy, not running around stealing land and shooting native Americans.

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yes, no cowboys or indians (politically incorrect costumes) but you can be a zombie, a hooker or a mercenary

message 23: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Churches go hard with those Halloween festivals. Yes, they are Halloween festivals, no matter what they want to call them. My brother would rather take Liyah to a church to trick or treat cause he and Danielle don't have to walk around a random neighborhood. And she gets better stuff.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i will say that a cool thing that has popped up is church's doing Trunk or Treat where they all park in church parking lots and pop up their trucks (or boots) and dress up and decorate their vehicles and then kids in costume can come by and go car to car getting goodies in a safer environment than just walking to random houses in the dark

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Back at the UU church we had cool church Halloween parties, sure. That was about the only time the kids wanted to go.

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "i will say that a cool thing that has popped up is church's doing Trunk or Treat where they all park in church parking lots and pop up their trucks (or boots) and dress up and decorate their vehicl..."

Our church has been doing this for a few years now too.

message 27: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart This thread is making me think about when I went trick or treating, and we went to the "White Folks' Neighbourhood." more about the fact as that's how neighborhoods with big fancy houses were referred to. And I still refer to them that way, and I dont even realize it. And not even like, "big and fancy," but like...it has stairs and a garage.

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments gotta tell ya britt, for me it was about the candy. if the white folks neighborhood had better treats i would be all over it. for us here it was the white trash that had the best candy and decorations. they go all out. i'd take a king size skor bar from ed bob in bib overalls and no shirt any day. if the black neighborhoods are giving out almond joy's and reece cups, call me cuz and turn my hat sideways

message 29: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "i will say that a cool thing that has popped up is church's doing Trunk or Treat where they all park in church parking lots and pop up their trucks (or boots) and dress up and decorate their vehicl..."

Trunk-or-treat is a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE SCOURGE and must be stamped out forever!

Here's what I wrote about it two years ago.

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments matter of opinion i suppose. some people would not let their kids do anything for halloween if it were not for the trunk or treat deals so i guess that for me that is better than nothing at all. i agree that it is not the thrill of door to door outings but again i have to remember this is not 1975 either

message 31: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) When I was a kid, we roamed our own neighborhoods in costumes we made. I dislike the horrid purchased costumes, and the pushy teens. I turn out the lights in the front of the house, and don't answer the door. Humbug.

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) A rite of passage for sure.

message 33: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments I just bought 300 mini candy bars. I hope it's enough.

message 34: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments I was planning to veg in front of the tv watching TCM all day and giving out candy in my witch costume but my best friend has decided to have her baby shower on that day and since I'm the baby's godmother I have to be there. I already told her I'm going in costume! :-)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I used to get homemade cookies sometimes while trick or treating, with information about which house it came from stickered onto the saran wrap. But, that was when I was living on an Army base, which was a pretty close community.

I hate how fearful people are these days of their neighbors.

message 36: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments We used to make popcorn balls to hand out. We'd get about 50 trick-or-treat kids, and they seemed excited to get something other than a Tootsie Roll.

message 37: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) We will be attending a Halloween party on the 23rd, costume required. I will be attending as Rizzoli.
Was going to do something sexier but I have to pick up my son at a birthday party. Thought sexy might send the wrong message to a parent I haven't fully met yet. (yikes).
On Halloween, we only have 1 kid young enough to hit the doors, so we're debating if we take her or if this year we tap the 2 older brothers to do it.

message 38: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments You're going as pasta?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Rizzo from Grease, maybe?

message 40: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) This Rizzoli?

message 41: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments King Dinösaur wrote: "Who has a baby shower on Halloween?!!!"

My best friend! She's due the first week of December. We're both very dark and morbid people. I think it's quite appropriate. :-)

message 42: by Kristi (last edited Oct 18, 2010 03:26AM) (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) King Dinösaur wrote: "No, no, no!! See?!! This is not Halloweenish!! >:(

Monsters! Ghosts! Ghouls! Not sexy! Not celebrities!

Bah!"

Yes that Rizzoli. And yes for Halloween. And if you want to get technical, Halloween is not in the spirit of All Hollow's Eve. So I don't think you really get to lay down rules on what's acceptable after you've (that's a general you, not you specifically) altered and commercialized to your own tastes and desires.

message 43: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Hee. Fight! Fight! Fight!

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I went to a Halloween wedding a few years ago. It was in a decrepit church that has been converted into a performance space. They hung cobwebs to enhance the decrepitude.
The groom came as the monolith from 2001, in a costume that had to be brought into the room sideways because it was too tall by far for the doorways.
The bride was a princess, and the groom was a frog prince. After she kissed him, they used special effects to make a big cloud of smoke and he pulled off the frog head and became a regular prince.
It was pretty fantastic.

message 45: by Lee (new)

Lee (LeeTschetter) I realize that Halloween has become a commercial monster, however, it's not the monster that Christmas has become. Halloween is now my favorite holiday.

message 46: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) KD, Raven Silverwolf is a great name. I've always thought my pen name should be Trixie Rococo, but now....

message 47: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jez476) | 664 comments Silver Ravenwolf is a hack author who writes neo-pagan workbooks for beginners.

King, I totally get where you're coming from. I hate that most of the costumes I can find in the stores in the sexy whatever costumes. (Although, I did find a sort of sexy Mrs. Freddy Krueger costume that was awesome!) I think that a lot of adults forget what Halloween is supposed to be about, although somehow they knew it as kids. But I think as long as there are those of us that remember and new generations of kids discovering scary movies I really believe the tradition will live on. For instance, every year I keep seeing kids come to my door in the Scream costume. Most of these kids probably haven't even seen the film but I suspect they see the costume and think it's scary and cool and they buy it. It's almost like they "get it" by osmosis.

message 48: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Hey, y'all! I have a masquerade mask and a long blonde wig! And I have no idea how to complete this costume...

message 49: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments Aw man Britt, if there were more days left before Halloween there's a seller on ebay that makes killer dresses that would be perfect for that kind of costume. I suppose Hottopic might have something that would go well with what you've got...

message 50: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I have the big skirt....don't know about the bustier

« previous 1