Book Club - Paris discussion

Random > next read?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lindsv) | 96 comments Mod
should we start choosing the next book and meeting?

message 2: by Berta (new)

Berta | 1 comments I'd love to. I've just joined the group and I'm looking forward to reading a book and meeting to discuss it.

message 3: by Nawal (new)

Nawal | 17 comments Hi Lindsay! Yes, I think it's high time to do it! Well, how shall we organize that?

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments Hi fellow readers,

May i add a book for consideration to be discussed? Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky

Speaks about the occupation of France by Nazis.

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments Sanjeev usually makes a list for us to consider.

Hi Sanjeev,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are you there??

message 6: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Amour (cheriamour) | 1 comments I am in a similar situation to Berta and have just joined so look forward to hearing what the next book is and meeting plans soon!x

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne (myunng) | 65 comments Mod
Hey everyone,

Here is the doodle for the next read.

And here is the doodle for the date.

message 8: by Anne (new)

Hey again,

Polls closed !

Book : The Sea, The Sea, Iris Murdoch
Meeting will take place on Nov. 17th.

Enjoy and see you next month :)

message 9: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 13 comments Am new to Paris and would love to join you at the november meeting. Please could someone confirm the time and place on 17th nov?

message 10: by Anne (new)

Hi Nadia,

The place hasn't been decided yet. We usually decide on the place the week before the meeting.

On the other hand, I can tell you that we will meet around 8pm.

Anne

message 11: by Frizzi (new)

Frizzi | 60 comments Mod
Hey all,

I have the impression there will be many new faces, like Berta, Nadia or me.

How many people are generally coming to the meetings and do I need to sign up anywhere for each meeting?

In any case it's great to have this opportunity.

See you soon

message 12: by Anne (last edited Nov 09, 2010 02:09AM) (new)

Hi Frizzi,

The number of people attending varies from one meeting to another. No need to sign up, just show up :)

Anyways, we should decide where to meet. I think we said last time that somewhere around Saint Lazare would be nice.

Any suggestions anyone ?

Anne

message 13: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (books-whatelse) | 2 comments Anne wrote: "Hi Frizzi,

The number of people attending varies from one meeting to another. No need to sign up, just show up :)

Anyways, we should decide where to meet. I think we said last time that somewhere..."

Hi, Anne
I'm new to this site and I'd love to join the book club. Unfortunately I've just missed the November session. So I was wondering what the next read is. And when is the next meeting?
Thanks, Natalie

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments Sorry to miss the discussion. Is there someone who would not mind to give a little blurb about the general opinions expressed about The Sea The Sea?

Also, about the meeting place. I sure hope next time the place could be more central. Les Halles is a good place because it is served by plenty of transport. Also that place Bert's i think it is, on the lower level by the UGC Cinema, they don't care if you order or not. It is also by Starbuck's. We could meet at starbucks if you prefer. It's also close to the swimming pool. I think last time somebody had trouble finding. I give English lessons there often on Sunday.

And About The Sea The Sea, ... i was very taken with it. But i wonder if Murdock was given the Booker for this book exactly or more for her body of work and she had been short listed a number of times and didn't win.

message 15: by Anne (new)

Hi Natalie,

Next meeting will be in January, with the holiday season coming up we figured that December was not a good month for a book club meeting.

As long as you've joined the club you'll receive an e-mail to let you know what is going on (when the time comes to vote for the book and the meeting date), so no worries :)

Hi Kathleen,

General opinion was that Charles was a psycho and that no one would recommend the book (except maybe Viola who is halfway through and apprently enjoying it a lot ! .

We met in the 17ème because people who were there at the meeting before that one agreed that it was more convenient for them or didn't care, and when I suggested it here no one seemed to care again.

But actually we decided on Wednesday that around Chatelet was good too.

Also, problem with Starbucks is that it closes rather early.

Anyway, we can discuss all this again when we prepare for the next meeting !

message 16: by Nawal (new)

Nawal | 17 comments Hi everyone,

Happy New Year to all of you!

It looks like that the winner for our next read is "The Glass Room" by Simon Mawer.Isn't it?

What about the date of the meeting, there is a tie for two dates: the 7th of February and the 9th of February. What do we do then?

Waiting for your replies, especially Anne's one!

Thanks,

Nawal

message 17: by Anne (new)

I'll do this this weekend.

message 18: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (pariskat) | 47 comments Is it sure that The Glass Room is the book chosen?

message 19: by Anne (new)

Nope, I haven't voted yet

message 20: by Nawal (new)

Nawal | 17 comments Thank you for the quick replies!