Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Giver (The Giver, #1)
This topic is about The Giver
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Lowry, Lois - The Giver ; revisit starts October 6, 2018

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This topic is open for discussion of The Giver by Lois Lowry. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

The Giver (The Giver, #1) by Lois Lowry

message 2: by Lisarenee (last edited Oct 11, 2010 07:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This is a book that leaves you to draw your own conclusions and I really loved it. It makes you wonder if Jonas and Gabriel survive - I say no. It makes me wonder if this was the Giver's way of making the "world" that they live in learn about their past -slowly releasing the information via his students one at a time so that no one person need carry the burden he has. The Rosemary incident might have inspired it. So sad to think no one thinks anything of releasing people nor have any idea of what it ultimately entails. I like that the book in a way makes the reader an active participant at the end leaving the conclusions to each individual reader. I like that the first thing Jonas notices is an apple and reminded me of eating the forbidden fruit from the tree of knowledge which is kind of what Jonas does. I wonder if the author did this on purpose. I find it disturbing that to make people less individualized even color is removed from society. I love that even though this is not an extremely large book it really makes a huge statement and truly gets your brain cells working overtime.

You know from my answer to "Did they survive?" you'd probably think I'm a pessimist - which I'm not. The reason I felt that way was because of the way Jonas was feeling and the description given - it reminded me of how people describe seeing Mirages in the desert. Just seemed like maybe his mind was playing tricks. I never expected there to be an actual sled and for goodness sakes how long and in what condition could it possibly be in? But again I love this book for the actual amount of thinking you do during and after reading it.

Sashana Ever wish for a perfect world (or life)? Be careful what you wish for because there are many flaws accompanied by perfection. Lois Lowry creates a utopian world where everything is planned out: there will never be overpopulation, there will never be prejudice, there will never be murder, poverty, hunger, or even impoliteness ...Sounds good right? Wrong!

I read this in my English class last year and I loved it! More surprisingly my classmates (who never read) enjoyed it too! They actually got mad when we had to stop reading it. If that's not a good read then I don't know what is.

The only complaint I have about this is the ending; total cliffhanger.

Lauren | 931 comments Oh yea... Definatly a major cliffhanger. It's one of those "inference" books. We read this book in class and had a major discussion about the ending.

message 5: by Lisarenee (last edited Oct 17, 2010 04:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments There are two more books that you can read - Gathering Blue & Messenger. In the third book you finally find out what happened to the Jonas and Gabriel.

Sashana Thanks Lisarenee, I had no idea that this book was a series.

message 7: by Lisarenee (last edited Nov 12, 2010 05:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments It wasn't originally. In 2000 she came out with Gathering Blue. In 2004 she came out with Messenger. The Giver came out in 1993.

Sashana Were they as good as The Giver?

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I really liked Gathering Blue, but I didn't like the ending of Messenger. It was sad.

Frankie Do you know where I can find Gathering blue and the Messenger. It feels like I've searched everywhere.

I like to think Jonas survived at the end.

Sashana Frankie, I'm hoping so too. Did you check out your local library? Mine has them. You can always order them Amazon or Barnes and Nobles, I'm pretty sure they will have them.

Frankie My local libary is shockingly bad.
But its my lucky day, i've checked amazon a hundred times before and they finally had it.

message 13: by Jex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments OMG! There are 2 more? I've loved this book ever since I read it in 6th grade. It always sits at towards the top of my favorites list no matter what else I read. It really makes you think about some of the choices we find difficult to make and how we take for granted that we have a choice to make in the first place. I couldn't imagine a world where everything was chosen for me right down to what age you get a bike or cut off your pigtails.

Sashana Frankie wrote: "My local libary is shockingly bad.
But its my lucky day, i've checked amazon a hundred times before and they finally had it."

Woohooo! did you order it?

Sashana Jessica wrote: "OMG! There are 2 more?..."

That's what I said!

Lauren | 931 comments I hoope you like it!! I loved the Giver, and should really see if they have the books at my school library.

Frankie Sashana wrote: "Frankie wrote: "My local libary is shockingly bad.
But its my lucky day, i've checked amazon a hundred times before and they finally had it."

Woohooo! did you order it?"

Yeah, they arrived today. But I'm not allowed to read them till christmas.
It's so annoying, I need to know what happens!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Kathryn!

I started this last night, haven't gotten very far just yet, but I already have so may thoughts and questions, and I'm only like 30 pages in...so exciting!

The idea of age really interests me,(view spoiler)

Releasing (view spoiler)

Kathryn | 72 comments Hey! I just got in from a very busy day at work (its like 9.30pm) but this is next in my to-read pile. I'm a busy lil egg but I'll try and get round to reading some of it tonight

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

no problem! I'm in no hurry for this one :)