Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Niffenegger, Audrey - The Time Traveler's Wife Oct 11 2010

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Oct 16, 2010 03:51PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This topic is open for discussion of The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Be prepared for Spoilers.
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

message 2: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This is one of those stories that you know they can't pack all the book into the movie. So I'm glad I'm not the one who'd have to decide what stays and what goes. The order is a little confusing, but I think that just emphasizes how Henry must feel flitting about his life span and, at times, beyond. The story is beautiful yet tragic. It reminds us our time is limited so don't squander. I love how the author kept some things till the end to keep you guessing, but I have no idea how she decided where to put what. I'm guessing the powers that be granted Henry and Claire one last visit before Claire died, hence, the last scene where Claire is and old woman. The story of their daughter and their struggle just to have a child left me, as many other scenes, in tears. The book was another of those emotional roller coasters and in the end I had to admire both Claire and Henry because they had to try to keep everything together under such inconceivable circumstances. I loved this book. I wonder if the author will write a sequel of Henry and Claire's daughter's life.

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments ***MOVIE SPOILERS***
So I saw the movie and it was a little different from book though not by much. A lot of scenes cut out. One of the last scenes where he visits his wife when she's an old lady is left out. In it's stead a scene when his daughter is nine is slipped in where he actually gets to kiss his wife one last time is include. He also tells her that he doesn't want her to wait for him and that is why he didn't tell her he would be there, in her backyard of her parent's house, that day. I loved the scene with the handprint being left on the window that slowly fades away signifying he witnessed his own death. Past girlfriend was cut out. Claire's mother's death was left out. The 18 scene changed to first kiss. The guy whom they taped to the tree was left out. They didn't really go to far into the Doctor's research who helped Alba and tried things out on Henry. Have to say a lot of Henry's backside revealed in the movie. The first time they showed that I thought my hubby was going to really question my choice of movie. He had this look that said what kind of movie did you take me to? I quickly told him he couldn't take his clothes with him. I wished they would have shown more of the interaction between Henry and Alba. Hubby said he liked the movie. I felt the movie was too short.

I didn't feel disappointed with this movie. I felt the movie refreshed my memory of the book, even the parts that were missing. It kind of reminds me of looking at a photo album and even though all the memories aren't a hundred percent in tact you can still relate to how you were feeling and what was going on at the time. The parts that were changed could be equated to that of a friend's memory that does not quite remember the story exactly, but you don't make corrections letting them revel in their moment of recollections while secretly knowing what really happened and comparing what they think happened with what you know happened. I actually left the movie feeling sorry for anyone who didn't read the book first. I loved both. My only complaint is that the movie was too short. As I said before I wouldn't have wanted to be the person who had to figure out what scenes to cut.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments I liked the movie (LOVED THE BOOK!) but I found it to be confusing at times. The skipping of ages, and movement, really had me lost for a moment. It was a little short: I PPVed and it seemed like it was over in no time at all. I'll post more about the book when I can.

message 5: by Amanda B. (new)

Amanda B. I have not seen the movie yet, but just finished the book on audio last week. (Plus it was my first audio book to listen to). I absoulutely LOVED it! I wish I would have read the actual book because it was one that I could have definately stayed up till 3 a.m. to finish. I want to rent the movie soon as well.

message 6: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 14 comments I absolutely loved the book~ a five star read for me. I really love when a book can pull me in so much that I get emotionally involved with all the characters.

When I passed the book onto my mother the only advice I gave her was to try and pay better attention to the dates at the head of each chapter so not as to get slightly confused by all the time travelling.

message 7: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Amanda, Thanks. I always worry when a book with romance in it goes to an audio version. Sometimes the love scenes don't translate well from the person doing the reading. I've had a couple that caused me to laugh out loud.

Jessica, I didn't realize until after I finished reading it that book followed Claire's life. It starts with her as a child and ends when she is at the end of her life. The jumping sort of distorted the timeline for me and, in a way, hid it.

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 338 comments I saw the movie first and read the book second.

I really enjoyed the movie and loved the book.
I always cry in movies, but I balled my eyes out during the book.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Oh really? I didn't find myself crying in the book like I did in the movie. Is it weird or what- books don't really make me cry too much anmore? I find plenty of other things that do though! Lol

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 338 comments I'm a huge movie buff and I cry in almost every movie. I know everyone says that, but I really do. I cried in Sister Act, the Full Monty, and three times during Toy Story 3. I tear up in books, but I rarely full-on cry. This book, I full-on cried.

message 11: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I cry while reading books but not nearly as much as I cry while watching movies. I don't know what's wrong with my tear ducts, I swear I can single handedly support Kleenex.

message 12: by Amanda B. (new)

Amanda B. I had friends tell me it would make me cry, but I didn't either, may have gotten a little teary eyed but didn't shed a tear.

message 13: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments I've just started reading this for a RL Bookclub. Feels familiar, so I think I must have seen the movie ages ago.

message 14: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments I'm about a third of the way through now. I'm really enjoying it. Henry's time line jumps around lots but the book seems to be traveling along Clare's time line.

message 15: by Renee (last edited Nov 11, 2014 09:30PM) (new)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Makes you think about whether you would want to know what happens in your future. Is it morally ok to buy a Lotto ticket if you know the winning numbers? I think the money would make life easier and help pay to find a cure.

message 16: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) read this years ago.

It also makes you thing about what knowing the past/future of someone may do to a relationship.

message 17: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments I finished this today. I enjoyed it. I did tear up a little at the end, but I remember crying more watching the movie.

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14746 comments Mod
I struggled with this book when I read it as her choice was taken away as he basically entered her life from the start and told her their future.
(view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Time Traveler's Wife (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Audrey Niffenegger (other topics)