Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
This topic is about Web of Lies
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Estep, Jennifer - Web of Lies (Elemental Assasin #2)** REVISIT starts June 15, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Oct 11, 2010 06:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2) by Jennifer Estep
This topic is open for the discussion of Web of Lies by Jennifer Estep. Expect Spoilers

message 2: by Lisarenee (last edited Oct 11, 2010 06:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Second book of Elemental Assassin series. Still loving this series and will need to buy the third book that comes out this month, Venom. Gin is now attempting to retire from being an assassin. When a couple of teenagers attempt to hold up her restaurant she puts her skills to good use and stops the robbery. Problem is one of the teens is the son of a powerful attorney and staying under the radar just became a whole lot more difficult. To compound matters, she is approached by a customer hoping to hire an assassin through Fletcher. At first she just tells her Fletcher, Gin's former handler, is no longer around and attempts to end the conversation there. When someone attempts to kill the girl trying to hire her, however, she decides to help the girl.

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Will post more later

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31507 comments Mod

*********THIS BUDDY READ IS BEING REVISITED!***********

Revisit starts June 15, 2018

Eldarwen | 10376 comments Mod
Wow, old thread! I didn't even realise the book has been published soon ago haha.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments I will likely do this one for Team Minerva. I recently read the first one.

Looks like the first Buddy Read for this one didn't see much action.

Right? I was very surprised that there had basically been no interaction at all. Shame really! I'm pretty sure there'd be something to talk about in this one, considering the ending of the first book!

Actually, now I can't wait to pick this one up! :-)

Deanna | 2935 comments I'm looking forward to this one. Hi Mary *waves*!

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments Hi Deanna!

Heya ladies!

Would it by any chance be possible to push this back a week and start on the 22nd?

I forgot about the BOM starting on the 16th, and real life isn't giving me all too much reading time at the moment, so I'm struggling a little bit with deadlines, oops. (No, no, I did not at all sign up for too many BRs at the same time :-p)

Deanna | 2935 comments That's fine with me. The 22nd it is. (From someone who also did not sign up for too many buddy reads and just might be slightly relieved to push this one back. ;-P)

Hahaha ;-)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments No problem with me.

Great!

Thanks, I feel a little relieved now :-) Not that, you know, there's too many books to read or anything hehe.

Hello again!

I read the first three chapters today. It starts off interesting again and there is a fair amount of recap on how the first book ended, which was really helpful since I didn't remember everything anymore.

Foremost of course was (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2935 comments Eldarwen wrote: "Hello again!

I read the first three chapters today. It starts off interesting again and there is a fair amount of recap on how the first book ended, which was really helpful since I didn't remembe..."

It was a nice recap, and here I reread the first book last week because it had been so long since I read it.

Deanna | 2935 comments I read the first six chapters today.

The robbery - (view spoiler)

Gin - (view spoiler)

The assassin - (view spoiler)

Hmm Gin (view spoiler)

Robbery: (view spoiler)

Deanna wrote: "It was a nice recap, and here I reread the first book last week because it had been so long since I read it."

Haha ok. Well at least now you really remember what went on in the first book :-)

I'm up to chapter 12 now.

Chapter 11 ends on what can only lead to trouble. There is no other option haha.

(view spoiler)

Whenever Gin starts cooking/baking, I get the urge to do something that smells nice myself!

Deanna | 2935 comments I'm jealous. I'm trying to finish my coffee, so I'm ready to read a book for quaffle. I'd much rather be reading more Gin this morning.

Aaah yes, hehe. Quidditch is starting in 20ish minutes.

Good luck! :-)

I'll switch over to Earthsea in the meantime so I can catch up on that BR while you're reading for Quaffle etc.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments I'm about 1/3 into this one. I read the first one recently so I appreciated that the recap wasn't over long. Just enough to remind you of what happened. Some authors are bad about that with either way too long a recap or nothing at all.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments Gin can come off as a little too perfect to me sometimes: she's an excellent cook and baker, she super fit, she can kill anyone or anything, she's sexy, she's a talented artist and super smart. A little too over the top. But not enough to make me dislike her.

Also, am I the only one who loved the "sloppy, sloppy, sloppy" from the first book? Haven't heard it yet. I've caught myself saying it a few times in my New Englander trying to sound Southern accent "sloppy, sloppy, sloppy"

Ooooh, I forgot about that but I liked that expression in the first book hehe.

Well, true, she is able to do everything and seems to have it all, but on the other hand, she does have a lot of free time to practice a lot of these things and practice apparently makes perfect, so maybe that's why she's good at a lot of different things?

(view spoiler)

But you're right, no matter how good she is at everything (except being overly delicate with people), it doesn't make me dislike her either. The fact that I hadn't even thought much about how good she is at everything before you mentioned it goes to show how much I dismissed that fact.

I finished chapter 16. (Yes, I know I said I'd switch books but... couldn't help myself haha.)

Gin and Caine: (view spoiler)

Finished chapter 26 just now and ooooh my gosh.

(view spoiler)

Deanna | 2935 comments Eldarwen wrote: "Ooooh, I forgot about that but I liked that expression in the first book hehe.

Well, true, she is able to do everything and seems to have it all, but on the other hand, she does have a lot of free..."

I hadn't really thought about it either. I guess to me she has had enough misery in her life from her childhood and from being trained as an assassin that I'm perfectly happy to let her be nearly perfect at everything she does.

Deanna | 2935 comments Up through chapter 12.

Fletcher - (view spoiler)

Violet - (view spoiler)

My brain's a little fried from quidditch, so that's all I can remember at the moment. I will probably read some more after dinner and come back and post again.

Deanna | 2935 comments Eldarwen wrote: "I finished chapter 16. (Yes, I know I said I'd switch books but... couldn't help myself haha.)

Gin and Caine: His accusatory behaviour bugs me at times, but I actually like that he isn't backing d..."

I agree. (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2935 comments Made it through chapter 21 where I'm going to stop for the night...

Mab's lawyer - (view spoiler)

The mine - (view spoiler)

message 32: by Eldarwen (last edited Jun 25, 2018 12:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hmmm, the mine (view spoiler)

Eurgh, the lawyer (view spoiler)

Deanna wrote: "Eldarwen wrote: "I finished chapter 16. (Yes, I know I said I'd switch books but... couldn't help myself haha.)

Gin and Caine: His accusatory behaviour bugs me at times, but I actually like that h..."

I'm having (view spoiler)

Finished!

The ending (view spoiler)

Owen Grayson: (view spoiler)

Gin: (view spoiler)

Once you get to the ending: (view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments Owen Grayson (view spoiler)

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Owen Grayson [spoilers removed]"

Ooooh I'm right there with you! Hate those, too!!

Deanna | 2935 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Owen Grayson [spoilers removed]"

Absolutely! They drive me nuts! It has to be a really good series for me to stick with it when they drag it out over more than one book.

message 39: by Deanna (last edited Jun 25, 2018 03:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deanna | 2935 comments Eldarwen wrote: "Finished!

The ending [spoilers removed]..."

The ending - (view spoiler)

Owen - (view spoiler)

Gin - (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2935 comments Eldarwen wrote: "Once you get to the ending: [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Deanna | 2935 comments Finished! A few other thoughts...

Magic - (view spoiler)

Mab and her lawyer - (view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments Donvan and Gin: (view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments I'm glad we finally get to actually meet Mab. It's obvious from the first book that Mab is going to end up the ongoing nemesis of Gin.

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Donvan and Gin: [spoilers removed]"

There is also (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2935 comments Eldarwen wrote: "Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Donvan and Gin: [spoilers removed]"

There is also his surprise when he learns from a conversation with Warren that Fletcher took Gin in off the streets. He..."

I agree with Mary. (view spoiler)

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I'm glad we finally get to actually meet Mab. It's obvious from the first book that Mab is going to end up the ongoing nemesis of Gin."

That made me happy as well. Clearly she is going to be the long term villain in the series, so it was interesting to get a closer look at her in this book. I particularly thought the vibes Gin got off of Mab's house were interesting and enlightening.

It really is great to finally get a glimpse at Mab herself and not just the basic info we've gotten in the series so far, and by which I mean the fact that she has to be a badass because she's ruling Ashland.

Haha, Deanna, your suggestion as to why Mab (view spoiler)

As for Gin and Donovan, (view spoiler)

Deanna wrote: "Finished! A few other thoughts...

Magic - [spoilers removed]"

I agree. (view spoiler)

message 49: by Mary C (last edited Jun 27, 2018 06:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments I finished last night.

Yeah I think Donovan had his perspective changed a bit on Gin. That she wasn't just born a cold-blooded killer but life circumstances forced her to make decisions she might not have made otherwise. And that she's not cold-hearted at all, she's just had to develop a tough exterior. But it makes sense that he would not want to pursue a relationship with someone that makes him go against he's core beliefs and I have a feeling he'll be back.

Deanna | 2935 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I finished last night.

Yeah I think Donovan had his perspective changed a bit on Gin. That she wasn't just born a cold-blooded killer but life circumstances forced her to make decisions she might..."

You probably right about him being back, but I hope not. I'd like to see Gin have time to move on.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Web of Lies (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jennifer Estep (other topics)