Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Cashore, Kristin - Fire (Seven Kingdoms #2) Oct 11 2010

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments This topic is open for discussion of Fireby Kristin Cashore. Be prepared for SPOILERS.
Fire (The Seven Kingdoms, #2) by Kristin Cashore

message 2: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Loved it, but a little less than Graceling(Brigan is no Po). Loved finding out more about the evil yet mysterious Leck/Immiker. The story was a little sad. Archer's death. Her having to kill her father. Her deciding to not have kids. Was glad she found Brigan. Loved Fire and the way her character developed. How she learned to take what life had given her and make Lemonade out of Lemons and yet at other times taking those very same Lemons and squirting them in peoples eyes (so to speak). I figured something must have happened between Roen and Brocker, but never thought it included Brigan. So I was totally shocked. Archer???? What can I say. He probably had to go if Fire and Brigan were ever to get together. And let's face it every book can use a good rake.LOL Jod was another unforeseen aspect to the story. Liked how a lot of missing pieces were filled in by the end of the book. I think Fire and Katsa would probably become friends it they ever met. Liked the message that you can make yourself out to be whatever you want regardless of your family history. You control your own destiny.

message 3: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I read this before I read Graceling (if I'm remembering correctly) and I was just blown away. I love that she had some conflicts with her beauty.

You know if you really think about it KC never writes her characters with the complete happily ever after; naive, romantic fool that I am-it kind of disappoints me.

message 4: by Sans (new)

Sans Wait. Roen and Brocker? Including Brigan? Crap, it's been too long. I can't remember who Roen and Brocker are and what Brigan had to do with them!

message 5: by Lisarenee (last edited Nov 25, 2010 03:34PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Roen and Brocker, darn I can't remember anymore but I think one is Brigan's father (Brocker) and the other is Brigan's mother(Queen Roen). I think the problem might be a paternity issue, but I don't have a copy of the book to make sure. I'll grab the copy at my library and see if I can refresh my memory and get back to you. I think the issue was revealed toward the end.

message 6: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sans, Roen is the Queen and Brigan's mother. Brocker is Brigan's father, but not the man he thought was his father which would have been Roen's husband at the time who was King? I will check the book some more. The names Cashore uses are so unique sometimes it's difficult to remember if a character is female or male. Maybe I'll try to compose a family tree.

message 7: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (shyluck13) I didn't like FIRE anywhere as much as I did GRACELING. In fact, I nearly hated it. It just...just didn't do it for me. I miss Po and hated Fire, Brigan and the rest of the cast (aside from Archer.) If Archer and Fire had ended up together I would have enjoyed it.

message 8: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I was not happy with Archer dying either. I liked Fire, but not as much as Graceling. It's funny I know some people who liked Fire more than Graceling, but Katsa seemed a much stronger female then Fire. Graceling captivated me more. I am looking forward to Bitterblue, but so far there doesn't seem to be a release date. I just looked on Cashore's website. :(

message 9: by Rollie (new)

Rollie (zheick) | 24 comments (closing my eyes from spoilers)
hmmmn, Is this good?
I've read Graceling and it was really great.
But someone told me about the new characters/protagonists of this book, aside form Leck.
And it did drop my interest. Hmmn, I guess I'll read this after the release of Bitterblue because obviously the third book won't give me a choice to skip this.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fire (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kristin Cashore (other topics)