Cover to Cover Challenge discussion

2011 Archive > IMPORTANT - Group Future Plans

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Hey all!! Lisa and I had a few things to discuss with you all and wanted your inputs. Since we are almost at the end of 2010, we were doing a little thinking about where to take this group next year.

Reading Target
As you all know, this group was set for those trying to read 144 books in 2010. Some of us (like me) knew we would never get there, some knew we could probably read double or more than that. Since we saw folks who read anywhere between 25 and 250 (and beyond), we were thinking of a few ideas regarding this group's future.

One option was to continue with things as they are - a 144 target.

The other option was to make it flexible. Some of us may never break into the 100s while some of us may easily do 150+ on any good year. Instead of sticking to a single target for everyone, and also considering that we are a really huge group now (even if not everyone hits 144), Lisa and I thought it might be a great idea to let you choose your target. Now I know that is a very hard thing as well. (I over-estimated my numbers for this year by a good margin!) So instead, we could provide 5 targets - 50, 100, 150, 200 and 250. Choose any one of them and read to meet that goal.

Please visit this poll.

However, this is also a feedback thread, so based on your one year (almost) here, we'd like to hear any suggestion you might have so that things can be easier/simpler or more challenging/lively next year.

Readathon
The second suggestion is wrt the readathon. Since having a readathon every month may not be entertaining enough, we were thinking of having just four a year. But in this case, the readathon won't be 24 hour, instead it will be a week-long - so that you guys can read any time within that one week to count towards the readathon. The goal is just to manage to read as much as possible during that week. We are thinking of calling it the Catch-up readathon, since that's what it will be - a week to spend on catching up on your reading.

I have created a poll for this one too, so please let us know your inputs.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (superbookfreak) | 115 comments I really like the idea of having a week long readathon. I feel that more of us could participate in it.

message 3: by Journeywoman (new)

Journeywoman | 36 comments I too like the idea of a week-long readathon.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments Just let me know where to sign up. I haven't participated in the Read-A-Thons so I don't really have a good opinion on that one. But if I could set my sights on 200 and post my reads as I go, I'd be happy.

message 5: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Photojim, if you were asking about the current readathons, those sign-up threads are in the Readathon folder. If you meant the ones for next year, one of us (Lisa or I) will be sending out broadcasts to all members before the event - considering that they won't be running as frequent as now.

message 6: by Jennifer C (new)

Jennifer C I prefer the day long read-a-thon. A week would be too easy for me to lose site of my reading goals and turn into any ole week. A day long read-a-thon allows me to plan ahead and block one whole day off for devoting to reading.

message 7: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I'm with you on that Jennifer.

message 8: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 247 comments I like the idea of a week long read-a-thon :) My biggest problem with participating in the daylong the read-a-thon is that my job does not have a set schedule. My days off and schedule times can (and often do) change from week to week and don't coincide with most 'normal' jobs (hazards of working for a theme park, LOL); this year it worked out that I wasn't able to participate in any of the read-a-thons because of that schedule 'flexability'. Now, I don't think that just because something doesn't work for me it should be changed for everyone, but if it's already an option... ;)

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane (daggerjane) I have the same problem Stacie does! My schedule is always changing and it's difficult for me to plan around 24-hour readathons. Maybe if week-long is the option that 'wins', there can be a day within that week where people who just want a 24 hour readathon can have one.

message 10: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) That sounds like a good idea Michelle. I like it.

message 11: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 247 comments I kind of have a set schedule but with working 6 days a week and around 10 hrs everyday. Not including the necessity of sleep. I have a hard time getting any reading in on the 24 hr readathons

message 12: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) these sound great ideas

and we can amend group to the target group or some such title and have sections for those aiming for 50, 100, 150, 200, 250 300+?

what do you think?

message 13: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Afsana wrote: "these sound great ideas

and we can amend group to the target group or some such title and have sections for those aiming for 50, 100, 150, 200, 250 300+?

what do you think?"

Yeah, we'll be changing the name too. Haven't decided on that - will mostly narrow down on a few and maybe do a poll. And within that - subsections for each target group.

message 14: by Heather B (new)

Heather B (heatherbenson) I think that these are great suggestions. I'm definitely one of those people that have not read anywhere near 144 books this year, so it would be great to have some chose in the number of books that we are trying to read in a year.
I also think that having the readathon during a week will be much easier for everyone to try to participate in.

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna (aknas22) | 43 comments I like the changing the target as well. I think I'll be right around 100 this year. Maybe I'll be able to read more next year, maybe not though.

Also the week long readathon is better for me.

message 16: by Amber (new)

Amber I should break 100 this year but really hoped to get to 144. I guess whatever the group goes with is ok for me. If we break it up, I'll pick something in the 100-150 range.

Regarding the read-a-thons, I don't participate because I either get/have time to read or I don't. If I do, I usually use it! I don't need a date circled on my calendar to remind me to pick up a book or two and lock myself in the bedroom and ignore the world.

message 17: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo Considering last year I read at this point 74 books and this year I"m already up to 110 books so far. I'm doing pretty good. I only hit 100 total last year.
I'm still pushing for 144 books this year. What is that 34 books. I just might be doable.
As to the questions. I think the week long readathon would work better for me. As for the goal I also think the changing target would work great. People can still go for the higher ones if they want. But you can also start at 100 and when you come close you call always change it higher if you want.
My question is would we still continue on the same board or or would there be a move. And what would happen to the threads we are using now. Would they be moved to archive so we can start over? Or would we just delete the old posts in our thread and start with a cleaned out one? Before seeing this thread I was just thinking what happens here at the end of the year. Glad this thread started up.

message 18: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) you can do it donnajo!!!

i liked the readathons to -did always read more as took the opportunity to ignore few things that normally wouldn't but a week long one is even better

message 19: by Rossy (new)

Rossy (naughtybookjunkie) | 65 comments I really like both ideas. I would probably sign up for 200 next year and a week long read-a-thon is very duable.

message 20: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo I'm hoping I do. I did only 11 for Oct. I thought I would get one more in to make 12 but it didn't happen. I went back to reading For You, mom by Ruth Reichl which is a very thin book. I'm only 1/2 though it. I'll probably still stick with it and try and get it finished. I'm in the mode that I don't know what I feel like reading so it's hard to really get into one book and finish. And being that I want books that grab me and I zip though it doesn't seem to be happening.

message 21: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Hi everybody! Just a little note here.

Aths sent me a real quick PM and said she was having some kind of problems right now. I'm not gonna go into what it is, but I don't know when she will be back, so I haven't been able to talk with her about our plans for this group. Hopefully, she will be back soon and we will be able to discuss how we are gonna play this come January.

message 22: by Afsana (last edited Nov 01, 2010 02:24PM) (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) thanks for letting us know

and please pass on to aths that I hope she resolves the problems she has in the way that she would like

message 23: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (jordieheartsbooks) | 37 comments I would enjoy a week-long read-a-thon as the 24-hr ones always conflict with previous engagements as they generally fall on a weekend. Weekends are the only time the hubby and I have significant time to spend together since weekdays see him off to work hours before I wake then not home until time for dinner (sometimes later), maybe a little TV time, if we're lucky some snuggle time and then he's to bed by 9. If it's a week of reading, I can read while he's at work so I can spend my weekends with him.

Also, while it doesn't look like I'll reach 144 I have enjoyed the challenge. I think if I just said I'll read 50, I would have wasted loads of time not reading since my goal was only 50. I always need a big challenge :-)

message 24: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) Jordan, we have a weekday read-a-thon every other month. December's will be during the week.

message 25: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Even though i didn't hit the 144 book goal for the year (there is no way I am going to make it) I liked having the goal. It put a new spin on reading for me. I always enjoy reading but this provided a challenge. I have never even thought about how many books I read a year before. I am looking forward to participating next year in whatever format you go with.

message 26: by Nancy H (new)

Nancy H | 561 comments I like both ideas for the read-a-thons, and I am still going to set my goal at 200 or so since that is what I do most years and am comfortable with that. I will participate in whatever ways I can as you form the groups for next year. I haven't been very good about logging in all my books, but I am hoping to do better with that, especially since I am hitting my goals (usually) of getting the number of books done that I say I will - I just don't get them all listed here. But improvement is always just around the next corner......

message 27: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (njberardi) | 79 comments I love the idea about have target levels. I, for one, knew I would never be able to hit the 144. But, I thoroughly enjoyed the ability to "visually" keep track of what I did read. And, also see I how was stacking up to others.
I also love the week long read-a-thon proposal. I was only able to participate in one actual read-a-thon and I had a fabulous time.
THANKS -- looking forward to 2011!

message 28: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) We are very close to the end of the polls, but I doubt the pattern of the votes will change. So based on the polls, it looks like flexible targets with pre-defined buckets (50, 100, 150, 200, 250, etc) will be what we are heading for. Also, for the readathon, four times a year, with each readathon spanning a week was more popular. So, Lisa and I will discuss about this and then we'll post our plans in this thread this week. Once we do that, you'll probably begin to see changes across this group, to pave the way for the next year. We don't want to pull things on you at the last minute, so those of you who like setting things up early will get to do so. Stay tuned for more updates from either Lisa or me on what the changes are going to be!

message 29: by Athira (last edited Dec 04, 2010 07:23PM) (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Important note about Archiving

As you may have noticed, the names of some folders have changed, and at the bottom, there's a 2010 Archives folder. All 2010 threads will be moved to that folder at the end of this month or beginning of next month. This move will not affect the links to the threads. We would have kept a central database of those threads, if this group was smaller. So, please keep a copy of the links to your threads with yourself, if you wish, so that you don't have to go into the Archives folder to dig out your thread. (There could be well over 700-800 threads in that folder, by the end of the Archiving.) The older threads in the General folder will also be moved to the Archive folder during the same period. However, we'll keep the newer or the happening threads in the General folder until the end of January 2011.

***Updated***: The "All Finished 2010 Archive" folder will be kept intact for a month or two into 2011, so that if you wish to move your threads into this folder at any time until then, you can do so. Before archiving this folder, I'll create a single thread with links to those who completed (assuming reasonable numbers, lol).

message 30: by Magpie67 (new)

Magpie67 | 40 comments Sounds like a plan!

message 31: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 394 comments Hey, I'm easy. I don't really set any more of a goal for myself than trying to remember to list the books that I've read for the year. I usually get 200+ books in a year--some years VERY "plus" others just barely above 200. This was the first year that I've ever kept track of my reading. I have enjoyed that, so I am going to continue to do it.

message 32: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 394 comments Oops, forgot to check to email me about this feed. So, ignore this message. :o)

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie  | 171 comments Thanks!

message 34: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo thanks I'll be waiting for any updates.

message 35: by Dorothy (last edited Dec 05, 2010 09:06AM) (new)

Dorothy  (vilette) | 208 comments Aths wrote: "Important note about Archiving

As you may have noticed, the names of some folders have changed, and at the bottom, there's a 2010 Archives folder. All 2010 threads will be moved to that folder at ..."

Hi Aths,
I was wondering if when you sort the individual folders inside the goal topic, the names could be alphabetised within each letter group. Not sure if I am explaining this well but if I am looking for my personal list under 'Dot's booklist 2010', it is at present in the C-D folder which seems to be in order of posting. Would it be difficult to make this alphabetical instead of by date?
Thank you for all the organising you do...I really enjoy this.

message 36: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 137 comments I am glad you are breaking down the yearly goal to 50 book increments, but not sure I like the week long read-a-thon idea. I liked knowing there would be one day every month that I had an excuse to read at lest one book. It was something my family could give me (one day) but I doubt they would be as willing for a whole week to leave me to my books. I would probably have to break it down to one of the days with in the week and call that my read-a-thon :)

message 37: by Shay (new)

Shay | 330 comments Debbie wrote: "I am glad you are breaking down the yearly goal to 50 book increments, but not sure I like the week long read-a-thon idea. I liked knowing there would be one day every month that I had an excuse t..."

I'm sure individual members could get together and "meet" online to do a one day read a thon. Maybe during sign ups people can arrange this.

message 38: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 122 comments okay sounds good

message 39: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Debbie wrote: "I am glad you are breaking down the yearly goal to 50 book increments, but not sure I like the week long read-a-thon idea. I liked knowing there would be one day every month that I had an excuse t..."

I didn't post about this earlier, because I was still composing a post summarizing the changes and planning to post that later. We have taken this into account too, and although the readathon will span one week, there will be one day during that week which will be dedicated to 24-hour reading. So those of you who like the one-day readathons better can use that feature.

message 40: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Dot wrote: "Aths wrote: "Important note about Archiving

As you may have noticed, the names of some folders have changed, and at the bottom, there's a 2010 Archives folder. All 2010 threads will be moved to th..."

Dot, we had to do a trade-off on this. Since Goodreads does not allow folders inside folders, we have to either choose folders by name (like it is right now) or folders by goals (which makes it easier for everyone doing one goal to come together). What I can think of to make it easier is that I will set up a thread within each folder, in which all of you leave your links so that I will arrange all those links alphabetized by name at the top of thread. I hope that made sense? So that way, you can just go to that thread and find your list. That should be easy for all - how about that?

message 41: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) I think dot the reason for the order to be dictated by the newest post is to allow for peple to see whats recently been posted and kepp up with that thread

message 42: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy  (vilette) | 208 comments Aths wrote: "Dot wrote: "Aths wrote: "Important note about Archiving

As you may have noticed, the names of some folders have changed, and at the bottom, there's a 2010 Archives folder. All 2010 threads will be..."

It sounds fine. Thanks.

message 43: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy  (vilette) | 208 comments Afsana wrote: "I think dot the reason for the order to be dictated by the newest post is to allow for peple to see whats recently been posted and kepp up with that thread"

yes...that makes sense.

message 44: by KimWin (new)

KimWin | 97 comments sounds good. I think it will be less confusing as the changing takes place. lol, I am at about 120 for the year, so I didn't make the 144...

message 45: by Athira (last edited Dec 07, 2010 05:27PM) (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Lisa and I have been thinking of a suitable name for this group - the name should reflect that everyone is choosing their own targets; also someone doing a group search won't have trouble identifying what the group is all about. We'd really love to hear some suggestions on this. You can either post here, or send one of us a PM. We're hoping to put the new name into effect at least by this weekend. Any ideas?

message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 776 comments Mod
you can sort the individual folders by date or by alphabet...when you open up like the A-C folder and you see all the threads; click on topics (IIRC) and it will arrange them alphabetically, but its not permanent

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) (jim_formerly_photojim) | 158 comments New names, hrmmm... Let's think.

- Betcha' Can't Read Just One (MMXI Edition)
- Reading Goals 2011
- Size Doesn't Matter (Just How Many)
- Where the Time Goes 2011
- Book Trackers Quest-Lists 2011
- Will Read for Food
- The Challenge 2011

Ok, I actually like the last one. Maybe I'll think of something good. But if I don't I'll still be here reading.

message 48: by Athira (new)

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) (readingonarainyday) Wow, you're a mine, Jim!! I love your suggestions - that first name is really innovative!

message 49: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 776 comments Mod
I like the Size doesn't matter!

or "its not about the size, its about how you do it"

message 50: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I like the first one and Size Doesn't Matter.

« previous 1