Jane Austen discussion

Fan Fiction/Continuations > Captain Wentworth's Diary - Amanda Grange

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim | 181 comments I would definitely recommend reading this if you're a fan of Persuasion. I'd go even further to say read this shortly after reading Persuasion. (Which everyone is doing now anyway for the group read!!) Amanda Grange writes fantastic "diary" novels for Austen's male characters. I really enjoy getting in their heads. Grange stays very true to the original characters that Austen created. - Definitely check it out. Captain Wentworth's Diary

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I have tried reserving this in my library. Will try again, thanks, Kim.

message 3: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 226 comments This diary is well worth the wait. I was pleased by the male perspective and it kept close to the original book.

message 4: by juliegoonie (new)

juliegoonie I recently finished this book & highly recommend it!

message 5: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley I absolutely loved this book. His point of view about Anne, her family, his family and his career are very worth the read.

message 6: by Missy (new)

Missy | 14 comments Waiting for it on interlibrary loan. Can't wait!

message 7: by Fluffychick (new)

Fluffychick | 2 comments It's definately one of the better versions! Try it!

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) alright, on second thought, I won't get it.

message 9: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley Didn't read Mr. Darcy's diary, but did read Captain Wentworth and Colonel Brandon's Diary. Loved them both, Wentworth the most. Darcy isn't my favorite hero. Mr Bingley's Diary would be more fun.
Patg

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Gulley Marjorie, the book is Jane Fiarfax by Joan Aiken and it is a very good one. Not first person Jane, but still very good.
For real fun try Mercy's Embrace by Laura Hile. This short novels about Ann Elliot's sister Elizabeth. They are very good and humorous.
Patg

message 11: by Kim (last edited Aug 20, 2011 02:34AM) (new)

Kim (kimmr) I've only ever read one similar book - Captain Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic Retold Through His Eyes. I had looked forward to it because Persuasion is my favourite Austen novel. However, I was very disappointed. I suspect that fan fiction-type novels are just not for me.

message 12: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (indigoskye) I loved Captain Wentworth's Diary. It was well worth the purchase price on Amazon. If you haven't read it, do so. I enjoyed it almost as much as the original.

message 13: by Aimee (new)

Aimee (akbaum) I really liked Captain Wentworth's Diary too. I loved getting his point of view of the story.

message 14: by Amalie (new)

Amalie Kim wrote: "I've only ever read one similar book - Captain Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic Retold Through His Eyes. I had looked forward to it because Persuasion is my favourite Au..."

I think that's what happens in lot of places. The sequels are mostly disappointing.

Since so many of you love "Captain Wentworth's Diary" I will check it out.

message 15: by Marnie (last edited Oct 04, 2011 01:39AM) (new)

Marnie  | 1 comments I read it and I found it amazing. It's Captain's thoughts on paper...Great..

message 16: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 80 comments I have read all Amanda Grange's hero diaries and loved them.Col.Brandon,Edmund Bertram,and Cap.Wentworth's are my favorites.I still have to read Wickham's diary.