~Opinions~ discussion

Religion > Christianity....

Comments Showing 1-50 of 207 (207 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Okay, so what is it with christianity? We have protestants and catolichs.. What the heck is the difference? As far as i know, the biggest difference is, that catholicks believe in hell? Also, catholicks are a little more ... Serious about their relegion, if you can out it like that.

What di you think?why?

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie (lapiadramtica) | 17 comments I'm a presbyterian which is a form of christianity. Catholics include-tradition,scriptures(bible),and apocrypha(section of the bible) protestants only have the scripture(bible)and don't include the apocrpha.
Jews don't believe Jesus is the messiah(gods choosen child) and the think everyone is equal in god's opinion -this is what sets the apart from christians.

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yesyes, I know what jews are. It's the christian Vs. Christian I dont get....

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie (lapiadramtica) | 17 comments I just told you Catholics vs prostants

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yeah, but still.. It's not so much what they believe in, as why we need to have milions, billions, gazillions
kinds of christianity? Isn't one enough?

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie (lapiadramtica) | 17 comments no because they dont all beleive the same stuff and how to do it

message 7: by Emma (last edited Oct 14, 2010 08:04AM) (new)

Emma (zeeberg) It's just.. Christians are so much drama. Ugh. I dislike religions. Though I am a Christian. I still deislike religions.

Or, well.. That vame out wrong. I don't dislike religions in the sense that I dont want them to exist, or that I don't agree with many of the things they stand for. I just hate that people have to fight over whos god is best, or even who is real! I mean, come on people; do you really have to kill each other over that?

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie (lapiadramtica) | 17 comments I agree with you I don't like how religion's cause alot of deaths like world war 2 and 9.11. It's upsetting how so many people die because of 1 persons beliefs.

I found the diffrence between prostents and Catholics- Catholics have different rituals. More traditional stuff

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Bah, it's still weird. But it's allright, I don't have a problem with people with other religions, or religions in general :) We need religions, to have something to rely on and believe in. It's such a big part of the human society, I dunno how we'd be without it! Probably not very good.

But it's stupid tat religions cause dead! Isn't that exactly what all religions are against? Not dead, but murder. Isn't just about all religions about peace and love? I know i sounds really hippish, but it's true. Find the relegion that says: "Kill people" and I promise, I'll shut the heck up. Possibly with anger and/or disgust. But no such thing exist.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie (lapiadramtica) | 17 comments When 9.11 happened some of the Muslims said the attack was because the "Karan"(holy book) said to do it. I agree about how stupid and ignorant some people are because of their religion. Think about Hitler if he hadn't been so...I can't even begin to describe how awful he was. But if he hadn't been so "Blah" 11 MILLION people would have lived.

message 11: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yeah, some muslims said that. But I'm pretty sure the Karan dosen't say that they should kill people. Maybe they misread. That's another thing. Everything can be misread in religions! Seriously!

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie (lapiadramtica) | 17 comments I know. The Karan doen't say that but they thought what they were doing was right.

message 13: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yeah, still dosen't make it right though. Just gives them a stupid reason, if they actually had that reason, and didn't just invent it. They were most likely insane.

message 14: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Religion makes many people justify unjustifiable actions. The Koran and Hadith help Muslims justify horrible actions just as the Bible helps Christians justify horrible actions.

message 15: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) I'm not religious at all so I don't really have anything to contribute...

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie (lapiadramtica) | 17 comments Nathan- Can you explain what you mean about the bible justifys horrible actions? I don't know of any bad actions that the bible has justified

message 17: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Nathan- Can you explain what you mean about the bible justifys horrible actions? I don't know of any bad actions that the bible has justified

I guess you haven't read much of the Bible then. The Bible supports murder, rape and slavery. Those are all bad actions in my book. The Old Testament spends a lot of time having God condone and order murder, the taking of slaves, and the rape of women. Pick it up sometime instead of just believing it promotes love and acceptance without actually reading it.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Emma (Soul of sunshine) wrote: "Okay, so what is it with christianity? We have protestants and catolichs.. What the heck is the difference? As far as i know, the biggest difference is, that catholicks believe in hell? Also, catho..."

Um....like you said, Catholichs are more strict with their religion....i'm pretty sure protestants believe in hell too and i think protestants are more open minded about things...

message 19: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) I say that anybody who believed Christ is the son of God is Christian. Anybody who doesn't isn't Christian.

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) No, protestants believe that god forgives everyone. I know, 'cause I am one. I'm not a serious believer, but I believe in the meaning the bible has, not the stories it tells. I believe in love, and loving one another - Believing that everybody is good deep-down, and in forgivness. And I do believe that Christ existed, and that he was gods son, in spirit, if not in body.

message 21: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) I've been told lots of times that I'm going to hell because I'm not Christian or religious...

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I've heard that many times, too. I don't generally like to discuss religion in particular, mainly because I'm an atheist, and that turns most people off. But I respect anyone's beliefs, because it isn't my place to say it's wrong or right.

message 23: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Nope, no Hell for the Mormons... except if you deny God in His presence... then you're cast into the Outer Darkness on Judgement Day.

message 24: by Nathan (new)

Nathan my religion (islam) is all about peace and justice...

So the Hadith is about peace?

message 25: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) I am not against any religion but I don't want people to tell me I'm going to hell for not being religious. I can't force myself to believe something I don't and I wish people would respect that.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I hear ya, girlie. I live in what could appropriately be called the 'buckle' of the bible belt, where the first question anyone asks is, "Where do you go to church?" *shakes head* Like there aren't more important things to ask...

message 27: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Yeah and it's hard when people judge me by the fact I'm not religious, or my friends parents automatically don't like me because of it...

message 28: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Or your friends' parents automatically hate you because you ARE religious. -_-

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

True, that is definitely the flipside of it. I don't judge anyone for their beliefs (or lack thereof). It does happen though, and not just to non-believers.

message 30: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) Has that actually happened to you?

message 31: by Keara (new)

Keara (kearachristine) Yes. Many many many times - and I live in UTAH. My friend's parents are Catholic and despise all Mormons (which sucks, because there's basically a chapel on every other block). Of course, SHE'S not like that - she's kind of anti-religion because of how strict her parents are.

message 32: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I would never judge someone due to their relegion. It's not the beliefs, it's the person. I myself am not a serious believer. I believe god is the good in everyone. And I don't believe in hell.

message 33: by Nathan (last edited Oct 19, 2010 10:01AM) (new)

Nathan and yes most of them are about peace equality and justice...

So you prove my point. They are not all about peace. In fact, many are about promoting violence. This is exactly where Muslims who are so inclined can gain justification to do evil deeds. This is the same for the Bible. Christians can gain justification to do evil deeds from it too.

message 34: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Religions can make people do horrible things. Don't try to deny it, we all know it's true. I don't think any relegion is better than others, if you WANT it to justify horrible things, then you can no doubt make it seem like it does. However, it's all about how much you read into different things, what you choose to ignore.

message 35: by Nathan (last edited Oct 19, 2010 10:59AM) (new)

Nathan dude dont go on dissin my religion if you dont know anything about it...

Do you really want me to pull out violent phrases from the Hadith and show you for a fraud, or do you just want to concede that they are in there?

message 36: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle Emma (Soul of sunshine) wrote: "Yesyes, I know what jews are. It's the christian Vs. Christian I dont get...."

Basically protestants believe you can do most things (except obvious things like killing) and Catholic are more strict. E.g. Catholic don't like gays but say they can get married but not have sex. protestant say they can do whatever they want.

Also things like Mary which Catholics believe to be very sacred and special protestants believe she just gave birth to Jesus, she's of no importance.

message 37: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Fariha wrote: "@nathan.. it means rest are of the way we live like the importance on education, importance of men n women equal rights...dude dont go on dissin my religion if you dont know anything about it...
m..."

Chill, it wasn't an insult. I was pointing out the fact, that every relegion has some violent aspects, that makes some people think they can jsutify horrible actions. I'm not dissing your religion at all, actually I've come to respect muslims, as one of my friends is one. As I've mentioned earlier; relegion dosen't matter much in my book. But name me a relegion where there isn't any violent or horrible act involved.

message 38: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Nicolle wrote: "Emma (Soul of sunshine) wrote: "Yesyes, I know what jews are. It's the christian Vs. Christian I dont get...."

Basically protestants believe you can do most things (except obvious things like ki..."

Ah. Thank you. It's so confusing sometimes.

message 39: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I know. Of course it's people. People are corrupt. No changing that. But they often use relegions to justify them killing each other.

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yeah it is. But that goes for just about any relegion. Think of the Christians in the Roman times, or the jews in the 2nd world war. Actually, scratch that; the jews in the last 2000 years or so.
It's terrible that people judge like that. Without even knowing what they're judging.

message 41: by Nathan (new)

Nathan @nathan.. dude if ur gona take stuff out of context thn obv its gona say that... you have to read quran to understand its meaning...

So you admit that it has many violent passages? You know, it is always funny to me when people claim their religious texts are taken out of context when they say things like "Whoever changes his Islamic religion, kill him" and "Slay the idolaters where ever you find them." Yup, I sure took those out of context.

message 42: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Are you being ironic Nathan? Ah, it's so hard to tell in writing.

message 43: by Nathan (new)

Nathan The term you're looking for is sarcastic. The last sentence was sarcasm, definitely.

message 44: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Okay, good.

message 45: by Nathan (new)

Nathan than why should we kill the people who change their religion?

Excuse me?!?!?!? What is apostasy? And what is the punishment for apostasy?

There are so much hadith where the Prophet condemned the killing of innocent women and children during time of war that it is impossible to deny them

Great. And there is plenty where murder is condoned. So it is just like the Bible, contradictory.

message 46: by Nathan (new)

Nathan the fact remains that islam does not allow the killing of innocent human being regardless of their religion..

Perhaps your view of Islam. Of course, others can easily justify it using the Hadith. Just like Christians can justify the same using the Bible.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments dude it aint just my view... its what our prophet said...

message 48: by Nathan (last edited Oct 19, 2010 04:02PM) (new)

Nathan dude it aint just my view... its what our prophet said...

Except for the parts where he didn't in the Hadith. At any rate, I know that this isn't in the Hadith or Koran but I wanted to ask; what is the punishment for believers and nonbelievers who draw pictures of Mohammed?

message 49: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) @Fariha
Dude, I wanted to ask you something. Do you know about the danish newspaper that published a drawing of muhammed with, like, a bomb or something on his head? And if you do, what is you opinion about it?

message 50: by Kylee (new)

Kylee (kyleerae23) I think that people should have their own religion and believe what they want, but keep it to themselves. Trying to force religion on someone is just horrible in my opinion. And I think that the fact people kill other people because of religion is the most stupid thing ever and it makes me want to hate religion.

« previous 1 3 4 5