~Opinions~ discussion

Books *SPOILERS* > The Twilight Saga *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Some people love it, some like to burn the books, some chase the actors, others hit faces with shovels because they're of a different team.

Personally, I liked Twilight. I didn't love it, didn't hate it, don't even think of it that much. People exaggerate with this. What's so special about vampires and werewolves and a love triangle and whiny girls and stalker boys and little suns that seems to affect everyone? What's so special about it?

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Cant tell you. Personslly, i loved the books in the begining. When i read the firts two. I thought the third and the fourth where bad. The third didn't realy connect with the other books, and the foutrth was just bad. I mean, she has a kid, gets the love of her life AND her best friends dosen't hate her anyway? That is not realistic at all! Not that werewolfs and vampires are, but the whole idea with fantasy books is to make the reader question the existence of the characters and the fantasy world.

I did like the series though, however sappy and unrealistic.... UNTIL the movies. What happened? Kirsten stewart can not act and robert pattinsom is not nearly hot enough to okay edward! Aftereverybody became obsessed, it just died for me.

message 3: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) I mean, she has a kid, gets the love of her life AND her best friends dosen't hate her anyway? That is not realistic at all!

that is SO DARN TRUE!and the fight with the volturi? I wanted to kill a character or two myself

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) IKR? I was like; WHAT THE HELL? This is a frikken war! Is this supposed to be a fight? God, I was angry with Stephenie Meyer right there... Like, appearently Bella is so incredibly strong as a vampire, that she can keep out even Aro. Puh-lease! Also, what's up with her not having the normal bloodlust? ONE MORE THING to add to the unrealistic sheme!

I liked the Host better...

message 5: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) me too. besides, you can get vamps anywhere, but i havent resad many alien stories

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

The first time I read Twilight, I admit; I loved it. But, the more books I’ve read since then, the more I’ve come to realize how not-so-spectacular the story is. As Stray said, I don’t love it or hate it; I’m just not as impressed with it as I was in the beginning. There is so much hype about vampires and werewolves, and I agree with Emma, the world should seem at least remotely realistic. Otherwise, I think people would have a hard time connecting to the world.

message 7: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) The first time I read Twilight, I admit; I loved it. But, the more books I’ve read since then, the more I’ve come to realize how not-so-spectacular the story is.

that happened to me too. but i have to admit, twilight and harry potter and those books with so many fans and hype and that are made into huge expensive movies really do encourage people to read. they may not be the best, but they work as some kind of door for the ones that are. That happened to some people i know

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. As much as I hate to admit it, the only reason I even knew about Twilight was because of the movie.

message 9: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Well, I read the book before back when they weren't even planning the movie. And I must admit, I like it better then. Now, when I reread it, it's just kinda ruined. I mean, sure, it's not bad, but it's not as great as I thought it was back then. I think maybe it has something to do with the popularity it got all of a sudden. It used to be one of those little pieces of gold, you know? The kind noone knows abaout save yourself and a couple of friends. So, when it got all popuæar and everybody suddenly knew it and had an oppinions about it... It just died for. Or maybe it's just the fact that I'm 4 years older now.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

That's true. Our opinions change as we age. I don't think I would have liked Twilight as much if I started reading it right now. I hadn't read much before I started Twilight (mainly just the Harry Potter series and the Dan Brown books), but it was different from anything I had read at the time, that I loved it simply for being different (except the sparkling thing . . . that annoyed me).

Incidentally, have you ever read Shiver? Oh, and you might think this is funny, but I actually started writing a Shifter/Vampire series about seven months ago, and the main character's name is Emma.

message 11: by Emma (last edited Oct 16, 2010 08:07AM) (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Yes, the sparkling ting was deffinently over the top. That was the the last drop I think, the thing that made it hard to relate to! And I NEVER liked Bella. I've never been able to relate to her whiny, needy, weak personality, and I probably never will. I never really liked Edwars either, he was too perfect. And he kept doing all this stuff because he thought it was best for Bella, not because she wanted it or even because it actually was the best thing. Hello dominating chauvinistick creep! I loved Jacob though. Trough all the books, I thought he was the most awesome person. I believe he is actually the reason I liked the books at the time. Without him it would just have been so dull! Don't get me wrong, it was some serious dark books. Bah, I like Harry Potter better :)

And I have read shiver, actually. I thought it was good, but not as great as, say, the Mortal Instruments. I'm getting around to reading the 2nd book, though it's not first on my to-do list.

Of course she is. Emma's a strong name AND it means universal :D hehe... Is it gonna be published?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Bella was hard to like. As you said, she was very whiney, weak, and needy. She only knew Edward for a few months before deciding, “Hey, make me a vampire like you.” But . . . she doesn’t want to get married because most marriages end in divorce and she’s afraid of what her friends will think? It just seemed crazy to me. If you’re willing to let a guy kill you and turn you into a vampire . . . you shouldn’t be so afraid of commitment that you’d refuse to marry him. I’m just sayin’ . . .

I loved Edward in the first book. He was too perfect, though. I was done with him when he left in New Moon. And I thought it was really stupid that Bella just forgave him so quickly after everything she went through. And she just cast Jacob aside when Edward came back. *shakes head* I never understood Bella’s decision making process.

I agree. The Mortal Instruments tops most book series out there. However, Shiver was amazing in its own right, and Sam Roth . . . Now, that’s a guy who can be perfect without being unbelievable. And I love getting to see inside his mind. I am hooked on Sam Roth. You’ll like Linger. It really expands well on Shiver, and leaves you breathless for Forever (which doesn’t come out until July of 2011 :(, but I’m used to waiting for books now :P).

Yep, that’s why I picked it :). I wanted a name I hadn’t heard much, and living in south Georgia, there aren’t many Emmas. And I think it’s a really pretty name. I had a hard time naming this character, but when I saw Emma, I thought, “Yep, that’s it.” :).

message 13: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) lol

I do like your name though

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

My name?

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) I don't know. I always thought Edward was too much. Even in the first book. Always wanting Bella for himself too. And now that you metion, not only don't I relate to Bella, i dislike actually. What she did to Jacon, her best friend, after everything he'd done for her, everything he went trough himself!!!!!!! ARGH! What was she thinking? What kind of a friendship is that?
We learn from books, and people who read Twilight will learn that it's okay for guys to dominate them and their lives, that a guy you just met is more important than friends and family, that you shouldn't help your friends when they need you, and only take advatage of them when you're in trouble. Gah. The more I think about it, the less I like it.

That's funny. I live in Denmark, and every other girl is named Emma. It's very confusing when I go somewhere and someone yells "EMMA!", and I'm like WHAT? And then they aren't talking to me. Oh well.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, Bella was a very dislikable character. She was too dependent on Edward. She completely blew off her friends whenever he was around and she let him boss her around and tell her what to do. I couldn't be in a relationship like that. I'd go crazy and slap him :P.

And Jacob was amazing (I guess you know who I was rooting for). Bella could have had a (pseudo)normal like with Jacob. She wouldn't have had to change to be with him. But I think that's why Meyer had Bella adapt to being a vampire so easily, because it was a cop out. Like, "See, Bella can still have a normal life with Edward". When, really, she shouldn't have been able to. There were so many cop outs in Breaking Dawn, I think I'll get frustrated if I start listing all of them :P.

message 17: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Candace wrote: "My name?"

yours too, but especially Emma

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha. I figured you were talking about Emma's name :). My mother decided to spell mine funky, so no one ever spells it correctly :P.

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) @ Stray: Thank you :) *Blushes*

@ Candace: Yah. But I wasn't rooting for Bella+Jacob. She so didn't deserve him! Also, she and Edwards should of course be together. Bu I always liked Jacob the best. And Charlie too :) He was awesome. Actually, I like Rose and Emund. Probably the only vampires I liked. They were pretty cool, not being all high and mighty as the others. LOVED ALL THE 'WOLVES! The clearwaters and Jacob especially. I still wanna marry Seth Clearwater. He was a sweetheart.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, no question; Bella didn't deserve Jacob. But he wanted her. And he deserved much better than her, but if she was who he wanted, he should have gotten her :P.

The wolves were the best :).

message 21: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) @ candace - whats the usual spelling for your name?

@rmma - tell me about it...Seth, i<3u!!

message 22: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Dude, Candace is awesome. It's really sweet, like you might be the nicest person alive. Plus it's kinda uniqe, which Emma is not. Had I had a choice, my name would be Charlie. That'd be awesome beond words.

Yeah, about that; I thought it was so freakish that Jake imprinted on Bella's KID? What the heck?

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, most people spell it Candice, Kandice, or Kandace. You wouldn't believe how many people spell my name "Candance" with an extra 'n'. I eventually just went with it, though I have no freakin' rhythm whatsoever, so it's not a very accurate name :P. Oh, and everyone calls me Candy, though I don't really like that name. It makes me think of a stripper or a ditzy blonde. :P

I love boy's names for girls. I've always loved that :). One of my favorites is Fred or George. There was a character on Dead Like Me, her name was George. It was awesome :).

Yeah, totally freaky about the imprint thing. That was another cop out, I think. Meyer didn't seem to want to disappoint anyone, so she tried to make everyone happy. I thought it would have been better if Jacob had left to fulfill his role as Alpha (and it could have possibly spurned a spin off series).

message 24: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) So agreed. Or maybe JAcob could've gone to college or something? That'd be cool too.

I don't know about Fred and George (Though I love the HP characters). If someone is calle frederikke and then people call her Fred, then it's cool, put to actually be named Fred, as a girl. I dunno, I'd still rather be named Charlie. Or Kim, though that would be too much Kim Possible for me.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I was thinking more along the lines of Winifred (Fred) and Georgina (George). Basically, they’d just be nicknames. I love Charlie for a girl. Have you ever seen Heroes? There was a female character on there named Charlie. She was only on for a few episodes, but she was one of my favorite characters. She was so sweet :).

Oh, and I read Under the Dome last November, and there was a guy in there called Barbie, which took a while to get used to. His name was Dale Barbara, but everyone called him Barbie. By the time I finished the 1,000+ pages, Barbie sounded like a guy’s name. Isn’t it weird how that works with names and words? Some words make sense the more you hear them, and some stop sounding like words after a while. Try it. Say spoon, like, fifteen times. It won’t sound like a word when you’re done :P.

message 26: by Emma (new)

Emma (zeeberg) Lol, yeah I know the feeling. I do it sometimes, simply because of the power of words. And I agree, words can have a thousand meanings. You know that saying, a picture says more than a thousand words? Well, I've always thought it depends on who's saying the words, and what they're saying.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, that's profound :). I agree completely. As Cassandra Clare said, "Words have the power to change us."

message 28: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) Candace wrote: "Well, most people spell it Candice, Kandice, or Kandace. You wouldn't believe how many people spell my name "Candance" with an extra 'n'. I eventually just went with it, though I have no freakin'..."

lol! Im laughing now because of the stripper comment! LMAO!!! I like boys names on girls too,which is why i like it when people call e leo instead of leonor (i hate my name)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Leo. That's cute :).

message 30: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) ^^ i also like that it means lion. Raawrr!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Hehe, my astrological sign is Leo :). I definitely get the lion thing :).

message 32: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) ^^

message 33: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) just sent group invitations. i like this group. But there are some things missing (like a "Hello, introduce yourself" folder and a chat folder)

message 34: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) can i be a mod?

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, yeah. I didn't think about an introduction folder.

message 36: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) lol. its useful though

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I made an intro folder.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments "some people love it, some like to burn the books, some chase the actors, others hit faces with shovels because they're of a different team. "

m one of those who wud like to burn it.. :P

message 39: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) theres actually a picture on Twilight Haters of one of the books (new moon, i think) being burned. personally id recicle it

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments Lol yea I guess recycling wud be a better option

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

id sell it ...for money O.O

message 43: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) wow, is there anyone in this group who actually likes twilight?

message 44: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) i liked it, not loved it

message 45: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) I loved it because of Edward. Otherwie it was strictly o-k

message 46: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) lol

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments edward ruined vampires for me

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm with Leo; liked it, didn't love it.

message 49: by Amina (new)

Amina  (journalistam) watevr, Far.

Fariha (damn you SketchUp!!) (fariha1234) | 1212 comments lol he sparkles amina!! isnt that enf reason to hate him?

« previous 1