Bookcrossers discussion

BC info > 2011 BookCrossing Convention in Washington, D.C.

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by melydia (new)

melydia | 9 comments Is anyone planning on coming to the convention next April? I'm so excited about it! (Of course, I'm on the planning committee, so I suppose I'd better be.) :)

More info here: http://www.bcindc.zoiks.org

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela (innae) | 8 comments I have been considering it...still thinking. I really want to make it to a convention, so...one here in the states would be good for me :-)

message 3: by Discoverylover (new)

Discoverylover | 7 comments I'm coming! And Angela, you should DEFINITELY come - every convention I've been to has been a complete blast. It's so much fun meeting all these people you've only known as a screen name, and also getting to see friends you don't see often!

message 4: by Skyring (new)

Skyring | 12 comments If heaven is where you get to meet all of your old friends again, then a BookCrossing convention is a slice of heaven for me. I've been attending two or three or four BookCrossing conventions a year since 2005, and enjoyed them all immensely. Books, BookCrossers, author talks, bookswaps, book release walks. There is nothing quite so much fun as walking along city streets with others who share the madness, thinking up ever more inventive places to release books.

I'm looking forward immensely to next April in DC!

message 5: by Max (new)

Max (maxdwolf) | 1 comments I live in the area, so I might. Not sure it will be in the budget, however.

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy (judygreeneyes) | 144 comments I'd really really really like to come, but will have to wait and see how the finances and work shake out. I bid on and won 3 of the auction boxes they had as fundraisers :)

message 7: by melydia (new)

melydia | 9 comments The Early Bird Rate for the 2011 BookCrossing Convention registration expires as the clock ticks over into the new year! That’s just under two weeks away. We are on Eastern Standard Time here in D.C. and so that is when the change will become effective.

If you would like to qualify for the lower $150 rate you must do 2 things:

One: You must submit your registration form BEFORE the clock strikes midnight on December 31, 2010 EST. (That’s when the ball falls in Times Square.)

Two: You must submit payment within 3 business days. That means that your PayPal transaction must be submitted or your check postmarked by Wednesday, January 5, 2011. If you cannot make this deadline then please send the regular convention fee amount of $175.

There are some special deals available now on the website: http://tinyurl.com/bcindcdeals. In order to qualify you must submit your PayPal payment or postmark your check within 3 business days of submitting your registration form. Don’t get disqualified from some great deals by procrastinating on sending in the payment.

(Please note: if you submitted your forms prior to December 1 and you have already paid, you will be grandfathered in and are qualified for promotions regardless of the length of time it took you to pay).

What are you waiting for? We want to see YOU at the convention in April, so register today! http://tinyurl.com/bcindcregistration

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a new book crosser and have never been to a convention before of any kind but I'm very keen. I'm in New Zealand at the moment but I want to make it, so I'll have to look into it. Don't do PayPal, so it might be difficult to make that early deadline...

message 9: by melydia (new)

melydia | 9 comments As long as the payment is postmarked in time, it counts, and if you contact us we can probably work something out. We'd love to have you here!

message 10: by Discoverylover (new)

Discoverylover | 7 comments Hi Keri,

Whereabouts in New Zealand are you? We have regular meetups in Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch if you're wanting to meet other bookcrossers!

We've also got a yahoo group that you'd be very welcome to join if you so wish :-) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bcnz/ is where we are.

Sorry for changing the subject Melydia!

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) | 97 comments Javaczuk and I won't be able to make it this year, but will hopefully be hosting some visitors before and after the Convention. I've sent some stuff off to the organizers (both books and goodie bag items.) I was born in DC, so it makes me sad I can't be there for BC, too.

message 12: by Skyring (new)

Skyring | 12 comments Sorry to hear you won't be there! I'd give a lot for you and TexasWren to make it - you've both been part of the BookCrossing heart since the early years.

My vanload of five will be passing through Charleston before the con, stopping at every corney motel between SF and DC. We'd love to see you in transit!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't manage to sign up before the new year because I wasn't sure it was going to be possible but I think I may just make it. =)

message 14: by Discoverylover (new)

Discoverylover | 7 comments Woohoo another Enzeder coming! We're seriously going to outnumber any other country :D

message 15: by melydia (new)

melydia | 9 comments DL - That's truer than you know. You'd think people within driving distance would be all over it, but no, int'l attendees outnumber USA!

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) | 97 comments I'd planned to come, even had free lodging with childhood friends lined up, but life got in the way... sigh.

message 17: by melydia (new)

melydia | 9 comments It happens. With as much stuff as you've given us, you'll certainly be there in spirit! :)

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) | 97 comments Darn tootin', baby. And if I can be there via webcam/skype, I will! We just have to set up a time to visit. (I did that with the Amsterdam and the London conventions. didn't have a webcam for NZ)

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) | 97 comments Oh, and Pete -- we'll have some Aussie visitors APril 12, I think it is. Trying to get some sort of meetup for then. Any idea when you might be through? And are you stopping at South of the Border on the way up? Pedro is the king of tacky. http://www.flickr.com/photos/bookczuk...

message 20: by Tribefan (new)

Tribefan | 1 comments I am hoping to make the convention, but don't know if I will have the funds! Will know more once I get back from my vacation to TX next week!

message 21: by Skyring (new)

Skyring | 12 comments Bookczuk wrote: "Oh, and Pete -- we'll have some Aussie visitors APril 12, I think it is. Trying to get some sort of meetup for then. Any idea when you might be through? And are you stopping at South of the Bord..."This blog has our rough plans. At the moment, Futurecat and I are planning to arrive on the afternoon of the 13th, but perhaps we can squeeze a day out earlier and spend more time in Charleston, which is certainly worthwhile! We could join Megan and Leith for a merry dinner somewhere.

And oh, yes, Andy introduced me to South of the Border, which defines tacky in a wonderful way! My kids will love it, I'm sure!

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) | 97 comments Yep, I'm in the process of trying to get things together for meganh and leith's visit. Where is everyone staying? That makes a difference. (PS Two fabulous coffee places have opened up near the Not-So-Hostel which has also expanded to 3 downtown locations.

So how many drive thru visitors are we talkin' about?!

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela (innae) | 8 comments I decided that I needed to make the trip while it was in the US, so...I will be there, and I am bringing my husband who while he is not a BCer, he does support my habit :-)

message 24: by Skyring (new)

Skyring | 12 comments I'm not sure yet. We'll be staying at the hostel or someplace cheap and cheerful. I'm tying down the end points of the trip, not nailing down the middle bits just yet. Once the five of us are together in San Fran, we'll nut out our priorities.

You'll love Megan - she's a bright delight, travelled all over, takes an enormous amount of pleasure in life. Leith isn't quite so much the extrovert - he couldn't be! - and I've known and loved them both since the first Oz convention in 2004. Both great BookCrossing companions. Kind of sorry that I won't get to explore New Orleans with them!

message 25: by Discoverylover (new)

Discoverylover | 7 comments Bookczuk wrote: "Darn tootin', baby. And if I can be there via webcam/skype, I will! We just have to set up a time to visit. (I did that with the Amsterdam and the London conventions. didn't have a webcam for NZ)"

I'll have my computer, and I *think* the hotel has free wifi unless that's just if you're staying there (which I'm not) so if you want to arrange a time with me then I'm happy to pass you around!

message 26: by Skyring (new)

Skyring | 12 comments Freebie wifi in the meeting room and the lobby. We'll put you on the big screen...

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

What happens when you go along to the convention? Do you just bring a whole lot of your book crossing books?

message 28: by Discoverylover (new)

Discoverylover | 7 comments Keri wrote: "What happens when you go along to the convention? Do you just bring a whole lot of your book crossing books?"

OK so there's a few things you can do. First off, there'll be what's called a book buffet, or table of temptation (or several!) where you can take books and release there. High chance of another BCer taking it, than if you say release it in the wild. BC in DC have indicated that there'll be 5 themes for the buffet, which are:

Main Buffet - There will be a main book buffet where you can leave, browse, and take books. This will be stocked with books of all shapes and sizes that may interest convention attendees. This book buffet will be in a publicly accessible area 24 hours a day during the convention and can be used by all convention attendees as well as other hotel guests, visitors and staff.

Plus:

BookCrossers Only – Please Don’t Wild Release Immediately – For books that you want someone to enjoy before it launches into the wild. Leave a book on this table if you want a BookCrosser to enjoy it before it continues its travels. Looking for a good read? This will be a great buffet to search for books especially recommended by other BookCrossers.

Local Interest and Themed Releases – Look on this table for books that have to do with the Washington, D.C., Metro area and books that will be suitable for a themed release in the area. Hint: This may be a good place to look for books needed to complete the reverse scavenger hunt.

Wrap-It-Up - This is a fun game BCinDC likes to play at local meetups. Before you leave a book here, write the first sentence of the book on a scrap of paper, with no other information about the book or its author. Then gift-wrap the book and tape the first sentence to the outside. When you browse through the books on this buffet, all you’ll be able to see of each book is its first sentence. When you read a first line that really grabs your attention, select the book and unwrap it. We hope you’ll at least give the book a try once you have unwrapped it, but no one will force you to keep it if it isn’t the book for you. (Because it is inadvisable to travel on public transportation with wrapped packages, we will provide materials so you can wrap your books after you arrive.)

Conventions Past and Future – Here you will find books about or set in all the locations of BookCrossing Conventions and UnConventions, including Dublin in 2012 and the locations that are bidding for 2013! For a full list of locations, please see the < a href="http://www.uncon2010boston.com/about/... list put together by the Boston 2010 UnConvention Team.

Those are the book buffets. You can also take books to wild release in DC. I've registered a few already (for example 'Tis by Frank McCourt and Balance of Power by Richard North Patterson that I'm planning on wild releasing, either because I've got the perfect spot in mind, or because I don't think other BCers will necessarily be interested. Also because if there are a huge number of books on the buffets, then often the convention organising committee get stuck with them at the end if no one takes them.

Just to be really confusing, you don't actually have to take any books with you! I've attended one convention without any books for release or buffet, and it's fine, because generally speaking there's way too many anyway! If you want some to release, you can just take some from the book buffet table, journal it in your name, and then release it and you'll find out where it goes :-)

If you're interested in finding out the other excellent activities that BC in DC have organised, there's a fabulous page on their website listing all the activities :D

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) | 97 comments Keri wrote: "What happens when you go along to the convention? Do you just bring a whole lot of your book crossing books?"

Well first of all, you get to hang out with a bunch of book lunatics. You're surrounded by people who understand what "wild release" and RABCK mean without having to explain it.

There are opportunities to get together and chat, eat and drink.

There are usually some talks organized by local authors, or about BookCrossing etc

There are often release activities and release walks, as well as chances to explore whereever the convention is.

And there are books, loads of books.

All you really need to do is bring yourself.

My favorite quote from one Convention was when inkognitoh looked around at the Charleston convention in 2007 and all the people she knew from online on ly and said, "All my imaginary friends are REAL!"

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy (bookczuk) | 97 comments Skyring wrote: "Freebie wifi in the meeting room and the lobby. We'll put you on the big screen..."

Oh great. I have to lose 50 pounds now.

message 31: by Discoverylover (new)

Discoverylover | 7 comments Bookczuk wrote:

Oh great. I have to lose 50 pounds now."

I'd be happy to lend you Flat Jay to hide behind :p

message 32: by Skyring (new)

Skyring | 12 comments Well, yes, you bring a whole bunch of books. If you wish. Other people bring a whole lot of books, and they pile up on tables. A feast, a treasure, a book buffet, and everyone rummages through with squeals of delight.

Best to rescue any you like, because instead of boxing them all up and putting them aside for another time, the organisers generally ensure that those remaining when it is time to clear the room are released.

The best part of a convention is not the books, but the BookCrossers. It is a constant joy to me to spend time in the company of people like me, with a love of reading, and a certain quirkiness that makes leaving a book for someone else to find a pleasure.

Just walking through a city with a group of similar lunatics, draping books off statues, hiding them in trees, dropping a dozen off at a park bench, handing them to strangers - it's a collective madness.

It's just so much fun to be with BookCrossers. I love it.

message 33: by Skyring (new)

Skyring | 12 comments Amy, you are beautiful when you smile and your eyes sparkle! Which is most of the time I've known you.

message 34: by Magister (new)

Magister (magisterforan) | 2 comments Hi folks, I will not be able to make it to the convention (while I made nearly all of the annual "International BC MeetUps" in and aroud Germany), but I'll certainly be there in spirit.

The czuks are even more in my mind than usual since I got the Sanderson-co-authored hardcovers for Xmas, where a certain czuk is thanked for the great help.

message 35: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathepsut) No, too far for me... I have never actually made it to any convention yet. Not even in Europe, which is my home turf...

message 36: by Hubert (new)

Hubert | 18 comments BCinDC is coming up in a day. For those who are going, have a great time and send us news of how it goes!

message 37: by Feodora (new)

Feodora | 108 comments Mod
here a nice story from BC in DC or how a book came to Germany....by muggles

http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/22/...