What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Edge of Time
This topic is about The Edge of Time
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historical Romance set in Texas The woman who leaves with the man isn't his original fiance but the fiance's sister. He needed a wife and the sister was willing to risk it all in Texas[s]

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle Hoogterp (noodlemaus) | 8 comments I read this book about 15-20 years ago. This was a romance novel, but it was hardcover at the time. I found it in the Pearland, TX library, but have since failed to find it.

The story is about a young man and his wife who leave a well-established city like Boston or New York to travel to Texas and start a new life. It's set probably late 1700s to early 1800s since they go as settlers and claim land.

I really enjoyed the author and wanted to read more by him/her.

**SPOILER** The woman who leaves with the man isn't his original fiance but the fiance's sister. He needed a wife and the sister was willing to risk it all in Texas. (This is actually something you learn in the opening chapter). The woman loves her new husband though is, at least initially, still in love with the sister for some time.

I recall very distinctly one scene in which the young woman is walking through some mud and leaves behind her footprint. The man, who has fallen for her, takes the dried clay impression into town to buy her new shoes. It was a touching scene in the book because it's really the first gift he gives her and he mentions, I believe, something about her tiny feet and how he wanted to see them in pretty shoes.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40196 comments Mod
Michelle, are you still searching for this?

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Michelle is still active in GR, so hopefully we'll get a response to Lobstergirl's question.

Michelle Hoogterp (noodlemaus) | 8 comments Yes, I am! I would love to find this book and the author.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Great, Michelle. Keep bumping this every month or so. That way more people will see it, and hopefully solve it. Also, add any additional details that come to mind. You never know what will trigger someone's memory!

Michelle Hoogterp (noodlemaus) | 8 comments Thanks so much--hadn't thought of bumping. I would dearly love to find this book. What's quite frustrating is I'm a librarian and I can't figure out a way to find this darn book!

Michelle Hoogterp (noodlemaus) | 8 comments I'm still searching for it, but can't think of anything further to add to this information.

Michelle Hoogterp (noodlemaus) | 8 comments Anyone have any clues?

Michelle Hoogterp (noodlemaus) | 8 comments Any ideas?

message 11: by Serendi (new)

Serendi I ran across another thread a couple days ago and found a likely book for it. It might be yours, too.

Thread is at:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 12: by Michelle (last edited Dec 03, 2013 06:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michelle Hoogterp (noodlemaus) | 8 comments Serendi wrote: "I ran across another thread a couple days ago and found a likely book for it. It might be yours, too.

Thread is at:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

You are AMAZING!!!! YES! This is the book I've been looking for!!!! THANK YOU!!!!! I just went upstairs and grabbed it from the shelf in the library where I work. Happy dance!

message 13: by Serendi (new)

Serendi Terrific!

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
The Edge of Time for the link.