Terminalcoffee discussion

Celebrate > National Coming Out Day....

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Happy National Coming Out Day, although I wish the circumstances were better:

http://www.tuftsdaily.com/features/tu...

I can't imagine how difficult coming out could be in the right circumstances, let alone the wrong circumstances. I'm glad the event exists, however, so someone considering coming out know he/she isn't alone.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I will be ecstatic when there is not a need for a day like this. Although I will probably be celebrating in a casket.

message 3: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments There's not much room in there. You might want to start in the kitchen or something.

message 4: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) As well, I'm glad this day exists, but I cringe at the idea of having to "come out" when you're neither prepared nor willing to do so. And if people in the GLBT community don't wish to out themselves, we should respect that. Unlike Perez Hilton, that fat fuck hypocrite.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Agreed, Gus. Not everyone is in a place where it is safe physically or mentally to do so. I don't think anyone should be outing anyone else. That said, there are a lot of people in power - in politics, in entertainment, in the media - who could help change perceptions if they were willing to take the risk.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Agreed, agreed! The more brave people who come out, the more it becomes clear that gay is normal, not scary. It's your friend down the street, or that guy at the store you chat with, not some stranger out to "destroy" marriage.

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) You guys all sound so reasonable and accepting. I'll bet Tinky Winky influenced you. I'm telling Falwell. Oops, can't.

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Shhh, nobody tell Carl Paladino. He'll have a conniption.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i've been going in and out all day and i really don't see what the big deal is. nice out though.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments I wear the tshirts "I support equality and National Coming Out Day" that are handed out every year at my university. I hope it's not seen as an empty gesture.

message 11: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Carl Paladino...Jesus Christ, what a mega-asshole.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Gus wrote: "Carl Paladino...Jesus Christ, what a mega-asshole."

Yes.

There was something going around facebook the other day saying "wear purple if you support gay teens" I think - and I was hoping that the day would coincide with a Ravens game.

message 13: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
I agree that no one should be outed - unless they are secretly gay but publicly anti-gay. And no, it's not enough to be secretly gay and a conservative Republican. That is not automatically a hypocritical position. A person's sexuality or sexual orientation ought to be as private as they want it to be.

message 14: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Lobstergirl wrote: "I agree that no one should be outed - unless they are secretly gay but publicly anti-gay. And no, it's not enough to be secretly gay and a conservative Republican. That is not automatically a hyp..."

I agree, LG. You might like to dress up in a cape and get flogged with lasagna noodles, why should I care, it's NONE of my business. Unless of course you want me to do the flogging, in which case I'd just have to say, "No thank you."

message 15: by Phil (last edited Oct 11, 2010 03:07PM) (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Amelia wrote: "I agree, LG. You might like to dress up in a cape and get flogged with lasagna noodles, why should I care, it's NONE of my business. Unless of course you want me to do the flogging, in which case I'd just have to say, "No thank you.""

It wouldn't bother you if that person were a public office holder, railing against those actions and trying to make noodle-flogging illegal? Calling noodle-flogged people inferior, and making other laws (inheritance & the like) discriminatory towards those people? All the while, of course, continuing to engage in noodle-flogging him/herself?

Because that's the kind of shit we're talking about.

message 16: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) But, I was agreeing with LG, and she said only people who WEREN'T secretly gay and publicly anti-gay...those folks should be outed...then flogged.

"I agree that no one should be outed - unless they are secretly gay but publicly anti-gay."

message 17: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments Sometimes it's hard to keep up.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Lobstergirl wrote: " A person's sexuality or sexual orientation ought to be as private as they want it to be. "

I agree completely, but I still look forward to the day that it doesn't matter.

message 19: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24357 comments Mod
To a man, or a woman? The rumor I heard is that he's dating one of the men from Dancing With the Stars.

message 20: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Maybe it's both! We are talking about Hollywood here.